IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #691 of 1,305
It’s a very sound move imo.

I don’t think any size was mentioned for the planar driver.
Actually I wonder how the whole design works. I haven’t asked. The R1, R1Z and R2 all work in the same way, with, as I understand it, a beryllium driver plus a ceramic one. Or are they one and the same, a “composite hybrid”? How that particular assembly works is a mystery to me. What handles what? Is there an alien in my iems?
I have even less of a notion of the way the planar driver fits into this scheme. Any conjecture out there? The freq response was extended with the R2, which can be expected with a new driver. Now low freq goes even lower with the RAH - we’re way beyond human perception anyway but it suggests something is afoot in the bass region. At the same time the bass is supposed to remain hefty, and I don’t picture IMR veering towards lightweight planar bass anytime soon.

Final’s latest B series has two items with double drivers (BA + DD in the B1 and 2xBA in the B3) that distribute the frequency response without a crossover network. Final are true envelope pushers - just look at the Make range! I wonder how Bob cooks the IMR sauce.
The R1, R1Z (I own both) and R2 are relatively simple hybrid designs with a ceramic driver (plate) on top of a large DD. What fascinates me is the sound and efficiency of those piezos. I usually listen at fairly low volumes (~60dBa) and don't have to raise the volume to enter something of an pronounced or exclusive sweet zone of the ceramic drivers - Kudos to that!
Anyways, while everyone seems to agree on the amazing width of the spatial reproduction of those IEM @Dobrescu George mentioned the "paper-thin" depth of the soundstage and @gLer mentioned "the Zenith kept most instruments on the same plane". While I wouldn't exactly agree on "paper thin" I do get their points. I spent quite a bit of time with my standard test tracks running through the IMRs in all possible configurations (rolling filters, back vent open/close) and have to admit that the reproduction of stage depth and height isn't exactly the strong suit of those phones and the main reason that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Aten which basically sport the same hybrid config as their predecessors.

I'd really like an IEM from him with the 15mm DD and a Plannar for the mids and highs in the Aten chassis. I've preordered the Rah but I can't help feeling dropping the Piezo for a special edition Aten would be magnificent as a super smooth all day IEM.
Regardless of how much I like my older piezo'ed IMRs I'd be happy with a single DD IMR, as long as it's playing in the same league as the Atlas and 1650/1670, lol.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #692 of 1,305
I see also Forza Audioworks and Viper cables at the same price range but, you know, the only way to undersand if they are real improvements is a direct comparis with the stock one in the same setup.

Better fit is a main quality for me, much more evident than changes in sound. My scale is: Good fit, good sound and, why not, good look. My most comfortable cable is Linum Bax, i wear ir for hours with my R1s without any fatigue at all. I se custom cables with all my IEMs, the only exception are iBasso IT01. They comes with a verry good looking and sounding stock cable. Even IMR stocks are good, but they are a little stiff for my taste.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #693 of 1,305
The R1, R1Z (I own both) and R2 are relatively simple hybrid designs with a ceramic driver (plate) on top of a large DD. What fascinates me is the sound and efficiency of those piezos. I usually listen at fairly low volumes (~60dBa) and don't have to raise the volume to enter something of an pronounced or exclusive sweet zone of the ceramic drivers - Kudos to that!
Anyways, while everyone seems to agree on the amazing width of the spatial reproduction of those IEM @Dobrescu George mentioned the "paper-thin" depth of the soundstage and @gLer mentioned "the Zenith kept most instruments on the same plane". While I wouldn't exactly agree on "paper thin" I do get their points. I spent quite a bit of time with my standard test tracks running through the IMRs in all possible configurations (rolling filters, back vent open/close) and have to admit that the reproduction of stage depth and height isn't exactly the strong suit of those phones and the main reason that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Aten which basically sport the same hybrid config as their predecessors.

Regardless of how much I like my older piezo'ed IMRs I'd be happy with a single DD IMR, as long as it's playing in the same league as the Atlas and 1650/1670, lol.
Glad to know my hearing isn’t totally off! :p A deeper soundstage with more detail and less jarring upper mids/highs are the main advantages my current IEMs of choice (FiiO FH7) have over the R1Z (and possible R2, but I haven’t heard the R2 yet). The IMR’s win out for pure bass heft, of course, but then few if any IEMs I know of - even TOTL - can match the IMRs for bass heft. If the upcoming Rah can add some depth to the stage and detail/finesse to the mids/highs, Bob might be on to a killer.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #694 of 1,305
Glad to know my hearing isn’t totally off! :p A deeper soundstage with more detail and less jarring upper mids/highs are the main advantages my current IEMs of choice (FiiO FH7) have over the R1Z (and possible R2, but I haven’t heard the R2 yet). The IMR’s win out for pure bass heft, of course, but then few if any IEMs I know of - even TOTL - can match the IMRs for bass heft. If the upcoming Rah can add some depth to the stage and detail/finesse to the mids/highs, Bob might be on to a killer.
To be honest, I've had my R1Z two weeks now and it's.all I can do to try to sell them. I am genuinely enthusiastic about the RAH (and yet a touch hesitant becouse of the Z) but aside from the bass, which is stellar, lush, detailed etc, and the form factor, there's virtually nothing Iike about the Zenith from mids to highs they're harsh and shallow. I've let them burn in approx 100 hrs now and tried listening to them the whole Day yesterday - I couldn't. I eventually went back to the Shockwave III and enjoyed them far more. My interest in the RAH comes from all the feedback on the Aten and the inclusion of Planar. That piezo (based on my R1 Z) really causes me to pause. And yet so many of you are praising the R2 with the same piezo. But again it was all the praise for the Zenith that caused me to buy the Zenith and to me that purchase was just cash burn

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #698 of 1,305
Rah pre orders available now yet I cannot find anyplace or way to enter my loyalty discount.........
Me neither. I was almost the first but can't find the place to enter loyalty code. I've written to Bob. Will post if and when I hear from him.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #704 of 1,305
Bob just fixed the checkout process

About to put in preorder

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #705 of 1,305
while everyone seems to agree on the amazing width of the spatial reproduction of those IEM @Dobrescu George mentioned the "paper-thin" depth of the soundstage and @gLer mentioned "the Zenith kept most instruments on the same plane". While I wouldn't exactly agree on "paper thin" I do get their points. I spent quite a bit of time with my standard test tracks running through the IMRs in all possible configurations (rolling filters, back vent open/close) and have to admit that the reproduction of stage depth and height isn't exactly the strong suit of those phones and the main reason that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Aten which basically sport the same hybrid config as their predecessors.
I find the Aten slightly improved on this point, though still not the last word in depth. One chink in the armor! Maybe the Rah will patch it.

My interest in the RAH comes from all the feedback on the Aten and the inclusion of Planar. That piezo (based on my R1 Z) really causes me to pause. And yet so many of you are praising the R2 with the same piezo. But again it was all the praise for the Zenith that caused me to buy the Zenith and to me that purchase was just cash burn
Your post prompted me to fit the 2.5 mm stock cable from the Aten on my R1 (not Zenith) and plug it in my ES100. Between that experiment and my time with the Aten, I can assure you the unpleasantness is not part and parcel of the IMR piezo driver. The R1 sounds noticeably blunter than the R2 (this may also be because of the source, as the ES100 is a bit less resolving than the V30 or my desktop amp); but with the black filters there is no glare or shoutiness rearing up - nor is there with the blue filters, the least bassy and airiest of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back