IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #677 of 1,305
Ha ha I am just watching that now.

I gotta say I like your reviews a lot. Your review of the R1 lead to me getting them.

Been trying various filter tip combos with these. Interesting results when mixing the colours. I always end up back with R1 black though. Black/black or pink/pink or R1 black or pink sound great with Motown and soul.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #678 of 1,305
My video about R2
You said in review that golden top filters are the most extended in terms of trebble (11:50), I don't think that is right, actually I find golden tips to be quite smooth and also I think that graphs confirms that :wink: For me blue ones are the closest to sibilance but maybe it's just me. Overall good review, I like your videos.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #679 of 1,305
20190826_110303.jpg I'm surprised more people here aren't using the gold bottom / blue top combination; it was my favorite out of the gate and still is, by far. I think I saw someone asking a page or two back asking if anyone is trying any aftermarket cables with their R2s. I recently got a new 16 core single-crystal copper cable (it's on Amazon for $75) and it's a great cable so far; very well made as well. But it does take a bit of the R2's bass slam away, so I may be going back to the original cable soon.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #680 of 1,305
You said in review that golden top filters are the most extended in terms of trebble (11:50), I don't think that is right, actually I find golden tips to be quite smooth and also I think that graphs confirms that :wink: For me blue ones are the closest to sibilance but maybe it's just me. Overall good review, I like your videos.

thank you for your feedback, but it's my subjective impression (as well as anything I say in reviews), I didn't look at graphs in order to not become biased, so that's what I heard. of course, I could be wrong, but I can't call gold filters smooth, but maybe 100+ hours of burn-in is not enough yet
will see how it will do after about 200 hours of use

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #681 of 1,305
Thanks for these remarks. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on the Atens so many times but alas, I just received the Zeniths and will receive the the CUPIDS on Friday. At the same time I will get the RAH, largely because of the feedback on Aten, so I will give them a pass... I trust my experience will reflect yours with the R2 plus all the resolution of the Planar. BTW, has Bob mentioned anywhere what size the RAH planar will be?
It’s a very sound move imo.

I don’t think any size was mentioned for the planar driver.
Actually I wonder how the whole design works. I haven’t asked. The R1, R1Z and R2 all work in the same way, with, as I understand it, a beryllium driver plus a ceramic one. Or are they one and the same, a “composite hybrid”? How that particular assembly works is a mystery to me. What handles what? Is there an alien in my iems?
I have even less of a notion of the way the planar driver fits into this scheme. Any conjecture out there? The freq response was extended with the R2, which can be expected with a new driver. Now low freq goes even lower with the RAH - we’re way beyond human perception anyway but it suggests something is afoot in the bass region. At the same time the bass is supposed to remain hefty, and I don’t picture IMR veering towards lightweight planar bass anytime soon.

Final’s latest B series has two items with double drivers (BA + DD in the B1 and 2xBA in the B3) that distribute the frequency response without a crossover network. Final are true envelope pushers - just look at the Make range! I wonder how Bob cooks the IMR sauce.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #682 of 1,305
I'm surprised more people here aren't using the gold bottom / blue top combination; it was my favorite out of the gate and still is, by far. I think I saw someone asking a page or two back asking if anyone is trying any aftermarket cables with their R2s. I recently got a new 16 core single-crystal copper cable (it's on Amazon for $75) and it's a great cable so far; very well made as well. But it does take a bit of the R2's bass slam away, so I may be going back to the original cable soon.

I am very interested to custom cables round up for this IEM, so thanks for your feedback! :)
If it take bass a bit off the way, maybe it show some microdetail or have other benefits?
I am looking for a cable that bring all out from the R2 on the table better than the original without sacrifying what the original one performances :wink:

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #683 of 1,305
I prefer red and green combination since the first day I received my R2. I tried other combinations, but did not find a better one. Pink/Pink is maybe second for me
I'm really enjoying listening to my R2. I'm even finding myself listening to them more than my Solaris. This was not expected

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #684 of 1,305
It’s a very sound move imo.

I don’t think any size was mentioned for the planar driver.
Actually I wonder how the whole design works. I haven’t asked. The R1, R1Z and R2 all work in the same way, with, as I understand it, a beryllium driver plus a ceramic one. Or are they one and the same, a “composite hybrid”? How that particular assembly works is a mystery to me. What handles what? Is there an alien in my iems?.
I asked and here's what Bob has to say:
The DD diaphragm is 15mm and the piezo is 9mm from corner to corner (diagonally ), the planar is 10mm. All of them run in tandem the same as the dd and piezo do in the Zenith and Aten models but due to the natural nature of decay the piezo doesn’t operate in the lower frequencies and the planar just adds a nice in-fill of detail in the lower frequencies and in the mid to upper registers they do what they do best so a cross over is not required. In fact with a cross over there would be a strange transient change in sound and its better (with the right tuning of course) to use its natural decay.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #685 of 1,305
I asked and here's what Bob has to say:
The DD diaphragm is 15mm and the piezo is 9mm from corner to corner (diagonally ), the planar is 10mm. All of them run in tandem the same as the dd and piezo do in the Zenith and Aten models but due to the natural nature of decay the piezo doesn’t operate in the lower frequencies and the planar just adds a nice in-fill of detail in the lower frequencies and in the mid to upper registers they do what they do best so a cross over is not required. In fact with a cross over there would be a strange transient change in sound and its better (with the right tuning of course) to use its natural decay.
Makes sense to me, if properly implemented it should provide great performance all across the audible range, 15mm DD sure can take care of the lows! With Bob's skills and experience, I trust this will be a magnificent iem.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #686 of 1,305
I'd really like an IEM from him with the 15mm DD and a Plannar for the mids and highs in the Aten chassis. I've preordered the Rah but I can't help feeling dropping the Piezo for a special edition Aten would be magnificent as a super smooth all day IEM.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #687 of 1,305
I am very interested to custom cables round up for this IEM, so thanks for your feedback! :)
If it take bass a bit off the way, maybe it show some microdetail or have other benefits?
I am looking for a cable that bring all out from the R2 on the table better than the original without sacrifying what the original one performances :wink:

Hi, i'm using the Atens with a Null Audio Lune MK V (red+red filters). Detailed and present trebles (never harsh), good vocals and good basses and sub basses. My favourite combinations between my in-ears are Atens+NA Lune MK V and Campfire Orions (a very underrated IEM)+NA Thera.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #688 of 1,305
Hi, i'm using the Atens with a Null Audio Lune MK V (red+red filters). Detailed and present trebles (never harsh), good vocals and good basses and sub basses. My favourite combinations between my in-ears are Atens+NA Lune MK V and Campfire Orions (a very underrated IEM)+NA Thera.

Thanks a lot Ludwig, it seem a nice and not expensive cable! Please can you give me your impression compared to the original cable in the same setup?

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #689 of 1,305
Thanks a lot Ludwig, it seem a nice and not expensive cable! Please can you give me your impression compared to the original cable in the same setup?[/

Sorry, never listened to stock cable. Lune is for sure much more flexible and good looking than stock cable. Another cable i like too much is Linum Bax SPC cable. Good sound and soundstage plus very very good fit. The only con is he his quite prone to tangle. Price is similar to Lune's price.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #690 of 1,305

I see also Forza Audioworks and Viper cables at the same price range but, you know, the only way to undersand if they are real improvements is a direct comparis with the stock one in the same setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back