IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #661 of 1,305
Wait but aren't we already securing a spot when we express interest for the 400 price point regardless of people committing?
As far as i know the 400 will only be reached if at least 300 people commit. So yea, the description might be a little confusing. I wonder why There is only the 300 Mark, instead of 200, 300, 400 and so on. Anyways, i am quite confident we can reach that many without a problem.

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #662 of 1,305
I've been lurking on this post, while listening to my R2's and have to say they are absolutely sublime.
Currently using the red/red with Symbio tips and find the bass to be tight and precise with a nice slam, the mids slightly recessed but not too recessed to enjoy vocals and the treble to really sparkle giving lots of detail. If I was picky my only issue would be the imaging of certain strings it feels slightly too wide and images as though they are coming from way behind.
I tried the black/black filters with the included foam tips and found it way too bloated in the bass. Maybe I'll go back to them and this time with the Symbio.

Bob's surpassed the R1 and Zenith. When I initially started to listen to the R2 I found them to be slightly underwhelming but I put this down to two factors. I had been recently listening the Etymotic ER4PT and the black filters were too bass heavy. Now after 20+ hrs of listening I am totally enamoured with them.

On another note reading the recent posts almost got me buying another IEM specifically the Obravo Cupid, I'm not sure if I should just wait for the Rah as I already own 2 planar IEMs (CL2, Tin P1) and although the Cupid is supposed to be excellent I might just be disappointed if it doesn't compete with the Rah, then I'll have to justify dropping money on the Rah.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #663 of 1,305
Ive got the Zeniths and the P1s (among others) as well. I love the P1s and have also ordered the Cupids. They finally show up here on Friday. I expect to be very satisfied with the Cupids. I'm expecting the same clairty of the P1s with richer bass from the DD. There is a Cupid owner thread on telegram and everyone in there is super happy with them. In spite of this new acquisition, I'll be getting the RAH. What the R1Z has shown me is that no one does Bass like IMR so I think they will both have a valuable place in my collection. I believe they will compliment each other nicely depending on how / where I will use them. I see the cupids when I'm out and about or in an airplane. The sit flush in ear and I can sleep with them. The RAH if I'm at home or out at starbucks or something.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #664 of 1,305
Ive got the Zeniths and the P1s (among others) as well. I love the P1s and have also ordered the Cupids. They finally show up here on Friday. I expect to be very satisfied with the Cupids. I'm expecting the same clairty of the P1s with richer bass from the DD. There is a Cupid owner thread on telegram and everyone in there is super happy with them. In spite of this new acquisition, I'll be getting the RAH. What the R1Z has shown me is that no one does Bass like IMR so I think they will both have a valuable place in my collection. I believe they will compliment each other nicely depending on how / where I will use them. I see the cupids when I'm out and about or in an airplane. The sit flush in ear and I can sleep with them. The RAH if I'm at home or out at starbucks or something.
The cupids don't half take some running in. They are really muffled and closed in out of the box. After about 50 hours they really start to sing. Not as bad as the R2 in that regard but you will see what I mean when you get them.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #665 of 1,305
Thats my expectation. I'm going to plug them in and let them run for the whole weekend. I'm flying to / from Ottawa next week and to / from Frankfurt the week after. What's the isolation like?

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #666 of 1,305
Thats my expectation. I'm going to plug them in and let them run for the whole weekend. I'm flying to / from Ottawa next week and to / from Frankfurt the week after. What's the isolation like?
Very good with foam and OK with the supplied silicone. They don't sound anywhere near as good with foam though. Seems to make the mids to distant.
I left mine for pretty much a whole week with the occasional hour with them to make notes.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #667 of 1,305

AAARRRGGHHH you're convincing me to buy them. Oh well! I may just pull the trigger worst case I sell them

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #668 of 1,305
So i've gone back to the stock balance cable and really like them.
The bass is so addicting.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #670 of 1,305
I also am debating on getting the p1 as maybe I should just wait for the Rah. I have the Tin 2 pro. Are the p1 that different/better?
I dont have the T2Pro I had the T3 I liked alot and its because of what Tin was able to do for $70 that I took a flyer on the P1s.
The P1s are a very different animal clean clear articulate, incredible resolution, micro detail and separation and absolutely no sibilance. In a word, they are detail monsters. They have nowhere near the Bass of an IMR or shockwave but thats not to say they have no bass. They develop really nicely with time and for what Ive got at present, they are my favorite IEMS They please and surprise me everytime I wear them. I have Cupids showing up on Friday and who knows, for the small form factor, the Cupids may knock the P1s off - but I somehow dont think so. I love that they never overwhelm with quantity of bass while still revealing the bass and everything else. I suspect that by the time I'm done with my inventory rotation, I'll be left with P1, Cupid and RAH

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #671 of 1,305
I also am debating on getting the p1 as maybe I should just wait for the Rah. I have the Tin 2 pro. Are the p1 that different/better?
I agree with much of what holsen has said they are totally different iems. T2 are bass light with excellent treble and miss while the P1 has the fast planar slam but no that impactful. They are strangely detailed without the peaky sound that you would expect from a detail monster. Quite strange

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #672 of 1,305
I agree with much of what holsen has said they are totally different iems. T2 are bass light with excellent treble and miss while the P1 has the fast planar slam but no that impactful. They are strangely detailed without the peaky sound that you would expect from a detail monster. Quite strange
Yes, Strangely good IMO. I used transit today 1 subway (skytrain) annd 1 bus (doesnt happen oftem) and walked around downtown Vancouver with the P1s and they were perfect in that environment. Nicely isolating with T400 Foam and nice travel buddies.

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #673 of 1,305
I’m just a few hours in, some of them in the street, with black filters only for now.

Even at this early, pre-burn-in stage the Aten’s major characteristics jump at me; these are what I expected the Zenith to be.
I did not get along with the Zenith’s tuning at any point of the frequency range. To me the bass lost the R1’s physicality, while the marginal increase in precision and openness came at the expense of shouty upper-mids and a cold, uninviting treble. I’m sounding harsher than I felt, I actually hesitated returning them; I guess I’m in tune with the IMR house sound, even when it verges in a direction I don’t particularly care for. But I had to use the copper filters on the Zenith, and at the end of the day, while they can be a great option to have, when they are the only filters that make the experience okay I believe you're missing the point.

But this! The bass hits like mad, with closed-back energy, while everything upwards just sounds right, with an open-back sense of space that benefits even studio recordings. Vocals, some female vocals especially, sound more natural, and the whole picture is elevated by the return of that IMR heft the Zenith somewhat lacks. Positioning is impressive. The R1 had so much presence I thought my bed was shaking; the R2 have this too, and they sound like huge cans. I wonder what @gLer and @holsen would have made of the original R1, and I hope you get to hear the Aten or the RAH down the line (well I know @holsen will at any rate!).

I get that all-BA assemblies, or summit-fi dynamic drivers, can extract even more detail from intricately mastered tracks, but I can hardly see how you'd do that and retain that trademark IMR slam. It's the old BA vs DD debate all over again yeah? :deadhorse:
But hey, that's what the RAH is for :) from what Bob wrote in his presentation of them and confirmed to me via e-mail.

I find the level of resolution amazing already, with plenty of detail, and a remarkable handling of peaks and sibilance. My absolute torture test for sibilance is Bristol's cover of Jay-Jay Johanson's "It Hurts Me So" (I've had a few people from the industry adding it to their test tracks on the spot as they heard it - also because it's a fine song in its own right). The Aten keeps every sibilant and fricative under impeccable control, while displaying a wealth of nuance.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #674 of 1,305
I’m just a few hours in, some of them in the street, with black filters only for now.

Even at this early, pre-burn-in stage the Aten’s major characteristics jump at me; these are what I expected the Zenith to be.
I did not get along with the Zenith’s tuning at any point of the frequency range. To me the bass lost the R1’s physicality, while the marginal increase in precision and openness came at the expense of shouty upper-mids and a cold, uninviting treble. I’m sounding harsher than I felt, I actually hesitated returning them; I guess I’m in tune with the IMR house sound, even when it verges in a direction I don’t particularly care for. But I had to use the copper filters on the Zenith, and at the end of the day, while they can be a great option to have, when they are the only filters that make the experience okay I believe you're missing the point.

But this! The bass hits like mad, with closed-back energy, while everything upwards just sounds right, with an open-back sense of space that benefits even studio recordings. Vocals, some female vocals especially, sound more natural, and the whole picture is elevated by the return of that IMR heft the Zenith somewhat lacks. Positioning is impressive. The R1 had so much presence I thought my bed was shaking; the R2 have this too, and they sound like huge cans. I wonder what @gLer and @holsen would have made of the original R1, and I hope you get to hear the Aten or the RAH down the line (well I know @holsen will at any rate!).

I get that all-BA assemblies, or summit-fi dynamic drivers, can extract even more detail from intricately mastered tracks, but I can hardly see how you'd do that and retain that trademark IMR slam. It's the old BA vs DD debate all over again yeah? :deadhorse:
But hey, that's what the RAH is for :) from what Bob wrote in his presentation of them and confirmed to me via e-mail.

I find the level of resolution amazing already, with plenty of detail, and a remarkable handling of peaks and sibilance. My absolute torture test for sibilance is Bristol's cover of Jay-Jay Johanson's "It Hurts Me So" (I've had a few people from the industry adding it to their test tracks on the spot as they heard it - also because it's a fine song in its own right). The Aten keeps every sibilant and fricative under impeccable control, while displaying a wealth of nuance.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #675 of 1,305
Thanks for these remarks. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on the Atens so many times but alas, I just received the Zeniths and will receive the the CUPIDS on Friday. At the same time I will get the RAH, largely because of the feedback on Aten, so I will give them a pass... I trust my experience will reflect yours with the R2 plus all the resolution of the Planar. BTW, has Bob mentioned anywhere what size the RAH planar will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back