IMR R2 Aten Thread
Oct 20, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #1,231 of 1,305
So I completed the burn in process a couple of days ago...all I can say is wow. I am blown away by the sound quality of these IEMs. I believe the bass has tightened up and the piezoceramic adds energy up high. I don't find it fatiguing at all. The Red/Black is still my main fun combo; I have been enjoying these too much that I haven't tried any other combos since the burn in process!

I am still waiting for the Final Audio E tips to arrive. In the meantime, I received a sample set of SpinFits with my purchase of Campfire Orions, and to my delight the smallest tips fit! I can finally get a great seal.

I am so tempted to either go for the new Atens, especially with the interchangeable open/closed ports and the additional bass filters, or the Opus Mia with the estats. The PB Two is a little out of my range, but I am interested in what a planar magnetic IEM would sound like. Am I correct in assuming that estats work on the highs/treble, and planars are more so affecting the mids?

Overall, I am extremely happy with these R2 Reds!
Kinda miss the Red sound signature ... Sold it a month ago.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,232 of 1,305
I am so tempted to either go for the new Atens, especially with the interchangeable open/closed ports and the additional bass filters, or the Opus Mia with the estats. The PB Two is a little out of my range, but I am interested in what a planar magnetic IEM would sound like. Am I correct in assuming that estats work on the highs/treble, and planars are more so affecting the mids?

Overall, I am extremely happy with these R2 Reds!
I have the Reds and the Aten 2 already, so I felt that the current Aten would be an incremental upgrade at best. Whereas the Opus Mia being a tri-brid, would bring something new to the table, literally: the dual electrostatic driver.

Hopefully I'll be receiving my Opus Mia soon.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,233 of 1,305
Hello everybody,
Does any own or owned Colorfly DAPs?
I was impressed by the SQ of the combo C3 and Aten.
I'd use it but the C3 SW is just killing me.
Which model shall I consider for purchasing of the latest Colorfly models with the same (or about the same) SQ but with a better SW?

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,234 of 1,305
Hello everybody,
Does any own or owned Colorfly DAPs?
I was impressed by the SQ of the combo C3 and Aten.
I'd use it but the C3 SW is just killing me.
Which model shall I consider for purchasing of the latest Colorfly models with the same (or about the same) SQ but with a better SW?
You'll get a bigger audience over on either:
the Portable Amp sub-forum:link
or
the Portable Source Gear sub-forum:link

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,235 of 1,305
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,238 of 1,305
Hello everyone, i don't found IMR R2 RED thread, but maybe someone know good filter sets? (Red + Black and etc.)

So far, I like these combinations on the R2 Red. I haven't run through all of the combinations yet though.

Red/Black
I got this combo from @cleg and his review of the Reds. I find this to be an extremely fun and energetic sound. The bass quantity is just enough to be punchy but not overwhelming, and the vocals are not buried. To be honest, I'm still new to this so I can't really describe the treble, but there is added energy in the highs - is that the piezo-ceramic zing?

(Purple)Pink/Gold
I believe this came from @rocko77 earlier in this thread. I like how the bass is still present, but I feel like the details are brought out a little more. A more relaxing sound, clear, and perhaps a touch more revealing than the previous combo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,239 of 1,305
Thanks to @jon parker for doing some cable swaps, with the NiceHCK LitzPS 4N Litz Pure Silver cable

@jon parker, "They make quite the difference on the reds - almost like a different IEM!". I quite agree, the difference to the stock cable is notable; it's very comparable to when you go from a SE to a balanced cable, for the 1st time. The playback is expansive. I'll have to tweek my PEQ settings, on my Qudelix-5K. I guess that's why Qudelix gives you 20 user configurable, EQ/PEQ presets
IMR Red with Litz cable.jpg

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,240 of 1,305
Thanks to @jon parker for doing some cable swaps, with the NiceHCK LitzPS 4N Litz Pure Silver cable

@jon parker, "They make quite the difference on the reds - almost like a different IEM!". I quite agree, the difference to the stock cable is notable; it's very comparable to when you go from a SE to a balanced cable, for the 1st time. The playback is expansive. I'll have to tweek my PEQ settings, on my Qudelix-5K. I guess that's why Qudelix gives you 20 user configurable, EQ/PEQ presets

Thanks for checking it out. I was so surprised by the differences I was hoping someone would also check it out and confirm !
I've also spent the most time with the cable on my REDs as well. I haven't listened critically enough yet but the cable seems to increase the 3d imaging & placement to a notable degree
which is quite impressive as these aspects are already very very good. Great price for a cable that isn't a downgrade from the stock single crystal copper cable.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,241 of 1,305

Sorry to be so stupid. Which two pin cable should I order for the Aten Red? There seem to be a few on their site (QDC, NX7 or 0.7). I'm confused!

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,244 of 1,305
I have that NiceHCK silver cable, paired it with my R2 Aten this morning and I think it's got some good synergy. Seems to give the vocal range a bit more crispness and clarity. Still has that massive sound stage expansion. This is 4.4mm balanced from my Lotoo Paw S1.

I dig it :thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,245 of 1,305

Thanks for your impressions! Haha, I also have a Qudelix 5K (on the way)! I ordered on prime day from Amazon US, but I only got a shipping notification yesterday. Should be here in a week and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back