IMR R2 Aten Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,216 of 1,305
Hello everybody,
For those who was late to buy IRM stuff from Stock B, I have promo codes for 5 new (Stock A) Atens with full supplies (case, 2 cables, etc) for 220 pounds plus delivery. That's more than 45% discount. First come- first served.
For those who are interested please send me a private message.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #1,217 of 1,305
Hello everybody,
For those who was late to buy IRM stuff from Stock B, I have promo codes for 5 new (Stock A) Atens with full supplies (case, 2 cables, etc) for 220 pounds plus delivery. That's more than 45% discount. First come- first served.
For those who are interested please send me a private message.
I’m assuming your distributing your “Loyalty” code. What happens when IMR sees the code doesn’t match your shipping or email address ?

You could end up killing the discount program for existing customers

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,218 of 1,305
I’m assuming your distributing your “Loyalty” code. What happens when IMR sees the code doesn’t match your shipping or email address ?

You could end up killing the discount program for existing customers
Wrong assumption as I get the promo codes from Bob directly. I guess he agreed to that due to the fact that several buyers were referred to Bob by me. I am just trying to help Bob as I love my Atens. As a sign of appreciation, so to say.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,220 of 1,305
I am not quite sure if I asked this question or not here. But still.. Does anybody here have Aten and Opus Mia to compare them A/B?

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,221 of 1,305
I am not quite sure if I asked this question or not here. But still.. Does anybody here have Aten and Opus Mia to compare them A/B?
Yes, aten has less mids and less treble extension and air, opus Mia has wider soundstage and less boomy bass, mids are way more detailed on opus Mia, sub bass on both is quite similar but opus has more rumble and detail, I’m still burning in my opus Mia and at5 but both of em are definitely an upgrade over past drivers

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,222 of 1,305
Thanks for your impressions. I have a couple of headset combinations I run for gaming, but I I don't always feel like wearing an over-ear headphone. The Aten is my first attempt at using an IEM for gaming. It was either this, or the Audeze iSINE 10. I figured I've give the Aten a shot. You are right, things like gunshots and explosions sound impressive. Way more impact than most open back headphones. I've also used the Aten for movie watching, and have found them impressive for that as well. -Very fun and lively.

Is there a specific nozzle & filter combo you can recommend for FPS? I've only tried the black/blue combo, but switching to something with less bass might allow for better separation, I think. Typical of any headset, if bass is too high, you miss hearing things like footsteps. I will try some other combos later this week. I'm thinking pink/gold will be the one I try first. When trying the pink/gold combo for music that combo attenuated the bass while bringing the vocals up a bit. Then again I may just leave the black/blue combo I have now and try EQing.
For many months I left the stock black/black for that maximum impact. However the Halcyon made me realize the treble was a bit too hot on my Aten - same with the blue upper filters, which peak in the same place frequency-wise, so they get a tad sibilant.
Switched to pink upper, which preserve the piezo character but sand off the excess glare.

Black lower suit me perfectly, the Aten are bass cannons but with such great control that the extra presence is welcome. I don’t feel like I’m distracted from the mids or highs, which was definitely the case with the Halcyon on black lower filters.

I’m curious what you end up on for gaming. Also what headsets you use and how they compare. What’s your source btw?

I told this story on the R1 thread before, but one of my first listening sessions with those was in bed next to my wife, and the music sounded so convincingly physical that I took them off my ears because I thought something was making the bed shake and it would wake her up :smile: IMR iems are like VR for the ears.

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,223 of 1,305
For many months I left the stock black/black for that maximum impact. However the Halcyon made me realize the treble was a bit too hot on my Aten - same with the blue upper filters, which peak in the same place frequency-wise, so they get a tad sibilant.
Switched to pink upper, which preserve the piezo character but sand off the excess glare.

Black lower suit me perfectly, the Aten are bass cannons but with such great control that the extra presence is welcome. I don’t feel like I’m distracted from the mids or highs, which was definitely the case with the Halcyon on black lower filters.

I’m curious what you end up on for gaming. Also what headsets you use and how they compare. What’s your source btw?

I told this story on the R1 thread before, but one of my first listening sessions with those was in bed next to my wife, and the music sounded so convincingly physical that I took them off my ears because I thought something was making the bed shake and it would wake her up :smile: IMR iems are like VR for the ears.

I'm still trying the pink lower and gold upper along with some silicone ear tips. I love the comfort of the foam tips, but I find foam muddies the treble too much. I'm still breaking/burning these in so I will stick with this combo for a bit.

My gaming setup is a bit overdone. Audio is sent from the PS4 via optical to a Turtle Beach TAC. The TAC gives me surround sound processing and chatmix volume control, but the amp section is pretty weak. I feed the game audio output of the TAC to a Schiit Loki EQ and Magni 3 amp. I feed the output of the Magni 3 to an AptX-LL bluetooth transmitter, which sends audio wirelessly to a Fiio BTR3K. I have the BTR3K attached to the side of Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones. For chat, I use a modmic wireless mic. The end result is a wireless, open-back headset, with chatmix control within an arm's reach. Then with the Loki I can adjust EQ on demand. I run the BTR3 with EQ off.

I've tried to rig up a headworn mount for the modmic wireless to use with the Aten plugged into the BTR3K, but I'm still working on it. It works, but it's not as comfortable as I'd like, yet.

Comparing the R2 Aten to X2HR with the mentioned signal chain is tough. Both are extremely fun headphones, and both have massive soundstages. The Aten still seems much more closed in to me though. And it has that IEM presence...I never forget it's in my ear. The X2HR just kind of disappears after awhile. I was hoping the Aten would be a bit more more like an open back headphone, letting ambient noise through a bit better. With a good seal on the Aten, I can't really hear myself talk, so chatting with others while gaming makes me feel like I'm shouting. Whereas with the X2HR I can hear everything around me in the room, and makes party chat a bit more natural. The only way around this with the Aten for me is to use the double-flanged tips (which don't seal in my ears), but then the audio sounds like yelling into a tin can.

That's a funny story about the R1. I actually did the same thing when watching tv the other night. The show I was watching had a bassy song playing in a scene and I had to double check I didn't have the TV volume and subwoofer turned up.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,224 of 1,305
I posted this o ring mod in the sales section, as I am selling my R2 Aten, and R2 Red,

I use rubber O rings to modify the filters to fit ear tips better, by giving them a little more extension, so they can go just a little further into the ear, it can extend the tips from 2.8mm with no o ring, to 5.5mm with the smaller o ring, so it can extend the tip out almost an extra 3mm, and sometimes that can make all the difference in the world with getting a better seal/fit, and that can have a night and day difference with better hitting bass, a fuller soundstage, with improved treble, goes from yuck, how can anyone listen to this, to holy cow did 4 hours just go by and I didn't even notice it :ksc75smile:!

someone else posted something like this earlier, but I think it was for aesthetics? but I've been modding IEM tips for a while now, I have big ear holes and use the biggest tips I can, normally, and alot of times those tips won't fit IEM tips securely enough, like with the Westone W4, I used plugs from work as adapters to fit regular tips with a larger bore on those skinny IEM tips, and they fit like a glove,

not sure if anyone is having fit issues, I got them from AceHardware, I didn't write down the sizes, but I am going to pick up some more, they do work really well,

the smaller o ring on the left sits just after the end of the filter, and before the first notch, and sits them solid so you can push the ear tip down to it, so it will sit firmly there, and not spin,

the larger o ring on the right will go all the way down to where the the base filters hole is, so if your adjusting for bass pressure, use the smaller o ring so it doesn't cover the hole,

as you see in the photo below the piece I'm measuring with is the ear cleaning tool, it measures from 2.4mm to 3mm, so 6mm long

with the smaller o ring the tips sits out a little over 5 mm, so it will sit the ear tip out further, and it still holds the tip securely in place, so if you're having a seal with the IMR's try this, it can make a night and day difference, by repositioning the ear tips depth of insertion,

I would say the larger o ring will sit the ear tip out at about 3.7 mm, so a little shallower,

and with no o ring, it looks as if the tip sits out at about a little under 3 mm, so a more shallow insertion,

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,225 of 1,305
Del

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,226 of 1,305
Why are you selling them?

I got bit by Semper :upside_down:! and I er, um, have to make room? and I am digging the PB1, hard to go back, I love the Aten and Red, they are awesome IEM's, but the PB1 is sublime, as I am hoping the Semper will do to the PB1, Bob had those spots open up, and if i could i would have gotten the PB2, and the Semper, but I decided to go with the Semper, I hope it will be an upgrade to the PB2, as the PB2 will be an upgrade from the PB1?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,227 of 1,305
I got bit by Semper :upside_down:!
How much will Red be sent to Toronto, Canada? I mean totally.
Sorry, may be we shall go to your sale post, huh?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #1,228 of 1,305
I've been modding IEM tips for a while now, I have big ear holes and use the biggest tips I can, normally, and alot of times those tips won't fit IEM tips securely enough

Have you tried Azla Sedna Earfits, just the normal ones as in not the short version. They will go deeper and their sizing goes quite large, every size they offer is like half a size larger than other brands so usually you need to buy half a size down.
I love my PB1 but equally love Aten OG and Red as they all excel at something the others do not buy will also play everything I listen to.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,229 of 1,305
Have you tried Azla Sedna Earfits, just the normal ones as in not the short version. They will go deeper and their sizing goes quite large, every size they offer is like half a size larger than other brands so usually you need to buy half a size down.
I love my PB1 but equally love Aten OG and Red as they all excel at something the others do not buy will also play everything I listen to.

Thanks I'll check them out!

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #1,230 of 1,305
Initial impressions of the Reds have been impressive. Aside from the fit issue in my left ear (hopefully my XS Final tips arrive soon) I have been blown away by this IEM. Being new to the hobby, all I have to run them are my PC/phone with the Apple USB-C dongle, but they sound amazing. I spent some time trialing all of the bass nozzles and most of the treble filters, and I have decided on a couple of favourites:

Bass/Treble

Red/Black
I got this combo from @cleg and his review of the Reds. I find this to be an extremely fun and energetic sound. The bass quantity is just enough to be punchy but not overwhelming, and the vocals are not buried. To be honest, I'm still new to this so I can't really describe the treble, but there is added energy in the highs - is that the piezo-ceramic zing?

(Purple)Pink/Gold
I believe this came from @rocko77 earlier in this thread. I like how the bass is still present, but I feel like the details are brought out a little more. A more relaxing sound, clear, and perhaps a touch more revealing than the previous combo.

Please excuse these inexperienced descriptions of the sound.

Disclaimer: As I am new to the hobby, I have no opinion atm regarding burn in, but I have been trying to play them as much as possible to reach the 100 hrs stated on the website.

Other observations: The blue treble filters are a little hot at the moment, for me I like them with the black bass filter. The green bass filter cuts out most of the bass I feel, and the gold bass filter is interesting as it alters the sound of the music due to the boomy bass. Does anyone who has tried these filters have a use case for them?

So I completed the burn in process a couple of days ago...all I can say is wow. I am blown away by the sound quality of these IEMs. I believe the bass has tightened up and the piezoceramic adds energy up high. I don't find it fatiguing at all. The Red/Black is still my main fun combo; I have been enjoying these too much that I haven't tried any other combos since the burn in process!

I am still waiting for the Final Audio E tips to arrive. In the meantime, I received a sample set of SpinFits with my purchase of Campfire Orions, and to my delight the smallest tips fit! I can finally get a great seal.

I am so tempted to either go for the new Atens, especially with the interchangeable open/closed ports and the additional bass filters, or the Opus Mia with the estats. The PB Two is a little out of my range, but I am interested in what a planar magnetic IEM would sound like. Am I correct in assuming that estats work on the highs/treble, and planars are more so affecting the mids?

Overall, I am extremely happy with these R2 Reds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back