IMR - R1 Thread
May 2, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #2,671 of 3,190
So, I've now ordered both the R1 Zenith (today) and the R2 Aten. I've never had an open backed IEM, so I'm not sure what to expect. But, on doing some research, it does sound like they're not good for loud spaces or open offices. Does that sound right?

I received my Zenith only a few days ago. I have nothing but positive love for it.

I usually keep them open. I find the surrounding ambient noise from outside gives it an extra airyness in the soundstage. I thought it would dilute the bass and sub-bass, but it hasn't been the case. In fact I have chosen the pink filter to bring it down a bit. I like the extra sparkle that it has with the mids and highs.

I would close it in a quiet room if it could annoy people, although the sound leak is not as bad as OTE planars.

My concern before I got them was I bought headphones for the first time before demoing. I couldn't stop reading the reviews and comments so I knew I had to try them.

Have to say I am happy I got them. They actually set the bar quite high for my next headphone consideration.

I would love to try the Aten. Let us know what your thoughts are on them

May 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,672 of 3,190
Love my R1 Zenith. So far think it stacks up extremely well against my S8F, TSMR-3 Pro, DM6. Way more options for tuning with all the filters and the port opening. So far listening with ports open and the pink filters for more neutrality, but may go for a bit more bass.

Same issue everyone else is noting about the fit. I have work to do to get that right... seems to need a deep insertion.

May 2, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,676 of 3,190
May 2, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,679 of 3,190
How is the fit with Nine Tail? They look quite unique.
Fit is okay on the nine tail. Funny my mojo actually broke the nine tail. They were only okay. The shockwave really is just a favorite.

Right now I’d say
1. AKG 3003i
2. Shockwave 3
3. Imr zenith
4. Sennheiser ie800
5. Periodic be
6. Acoustune 1004

I never reach for my k10u which is the most expensive.

May 3, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #2,680 of 3,190
CBF2CA24-0DF0-4620-B659-0F988EBA2C83.jpeg

Love my R1 Zenith. So far think it stacks up extremely well against my S8F, TSMR-3 Pro, DM6. Way more options for tuning with all the filters and the port opening. So far listening with ports open and the pink filters for more neutrality, but may go for a bit more bass.

Same issue everyone else is noting about the fit. I have work to do to get that right... seems to need a deep insertion.
If you have the Trinity Icarus III or PM 4/6 they came with longer filters as well as regular length ones. I find that the longer Green one works best for me.

May 3, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #2,683 of 3,190
Fit is okay on the nine tail. Funny my mojo actually broke the nine tail. They were only okay. The shockwave really is just a favorite.

Right now I’d say
1. AKG 3003i
2. Shockwave 3
3. Imr zenith
4. Sennheiser ie800
5. Periodic be
6. Acoustune 1004

I never reach for my k10u which is the most expensive.

I have them on AliExpress cart since last November but never pulled the trigger. Now they are at 112€ but they were at a lower price a few months ago, about 65€.

May 3, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,684 of 3,190
Do you think the LZ A5/A6 filter are working too in R1 Zenith ?
Trinity were Bobs designs and the thread size happens to be the same. I don’t know about other manufacturers I’m afraid, but I would be very careful trying them as if you cross the thread it will destroy your iems.
As for buying filters I don’t know about that because Trinity don’t seem to be around any more as far as I can see.

May 3, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #2,685 of 3,190

If you have the Trinity Icarus III or PM 4/6 they came with longer filters as well as regular length ones. I find that the longer Green one works best for me.

As far as I know, Longer filters were supplied only with Vyrus II not with ICARUS III or PM6.

PM4 filters are not compatible with Zenith.

Trinity filters: Vyrus, VyrusII, ICARUS III, PM Master, PM6 and Hunter are compatible with Zenith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back