IMR - R1 Thread
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,457 of 3,190
Like this, but longer?
Exactly. I can find plenty of short ones but would like to sit back at the desk/table so need a few extra feet

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,458 of 3,190
Exactly. I can find plenty of short ones but would like to sit back at the desk/table so need a few extra feet
There are long female XLR to male TRRS which is frustrating.
How competent are you with a soldering iron? You could knock one up relatively quickly, alternatively someone in the DIY thread may be able to do one. I suppose as a last resort someone like toxic cables.

Maybe someone like this could do a longer one, assuming they make their stuff.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,460 of 3,190
That website is being blocked for me for some reason. I’m fine with a soldering iron so if it comes to it I’ll end up making my own I guess.
Thanks all

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,461 of 3,190
I know this has probably been asked before, but can you guys tell me how the R1 stacks up to the FLC8s? I'm a big fan of Bob's earlier TA work and tunable iems in general. From what I've read, the R1 has more recessed mids than the FLC8s, but I figure most of that can be cleared up by using a different filter setup. But I've also read the R1 has tremendous soundstage and that the filters aren't as subltle in regards to the sound as the TA models were.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,462 of 3,190
@bogginhead Can't comment on the FLC8 but the soundstage of the R1 is phenomenal. I'm wondering if someone described the filter sounds as "less subtle" because you get fewer to choose from. The R1 comes with 5 sets. My I3 came with 10, maybe 12? Myself, I prefer less with more pronounced sound signatures between them. But I understand why some enjoy rolling all those filters. The good news is that if you have any of the old filters they fit the R1 just fine.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,463 of 3,190
I know this has probably been asked before, but can you guys tell me how the R1 stacks up to the FLC8s? I'm a big fan of Bob's earlier TA work and tunable iems in general. From what I've read, the R1 has more recessed mids than the FLC8s, but I figure most of that can be cleared up by using a different filter setup. But I've also read the R1 has tremendous soundstage and that the filters aren't as subltle in regards to the sound as the TA models were.

Size alone, they are rather equal in terms of soundstage, both do excellent, beating IE80 in terms of size.

FLC8N is more configurable, so you can tweak it more if you want to

R1 has a tad more detail, more resolution, better textures.

FLC8N has a bit more instrument separation with the default configuration, but this will vary a lot with subsequent filter combos.

In general, R1 would be an upgrade, but it is also more expensive, so this is to be expected really (?)

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,464 of 3,190
Gotcha. I appreciate it, guys. It was never really much of a contest; I'm definitely going for the R1 over the FLC8s now. I just wonder about the mid-range on the R1. I'm not the biggest fan of recessed mids, but I assume one of the R1's filters (or even one of the compatible Icarus III or Master filters) could fix that some at least. It sounds like the detail and texture level on the R1 is amazing.

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,465 of 3,190
Gotcha. I appreciate it, guys. It was never really much of a contest; I'm definitely going for the R1 over the FLC8s now. I just wonder about the mid-range on the R1. I'm not the biggest fan of recessed mids, but I assume one of the R1's filters (or even one of the compatible Icarus III or Master filters) could fix that some at least. It sounds like the detail and texture level on the R1 is amazing.

The new R1 Zenith will have a slightly less recessed midrange so should be much better in that respect.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,466 of 3,190
Good mids, good bass. Overall good resolution. It is a tad too bright for my taste, and the timbre is a bit unnatural, metallic. Has to be good with electronic music; with acoustic instruments and voices, not so great. But all is a matter of taste.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,468 of 3,190
Greetings, I made the pre-order of the R1 ZENITH, I would like to know if anyone knows what type of cable will be sent, and if it will be 2.5 or 3.5, thank you.:darthsmile:
If i am not wrong, both 2.5mm and 3.5mm cables will be included in the box

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,470 of 3,190
The link Bob sent in his email to pay via Paypal is dead I believe, which is unfortunate. You guys have the same issue?
To pay with paypal, you have to preorder through the imr's original website using the coupon provided in the email. The link provided in the mail is for the normal preorder thru celery. But if you pay via PayPal, you have to pay full in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back