IMR - R1 Thread
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,426 of 3,190
Hiii bro soham.where are u from india?which state.i am from weat bengal.of course i hav imr r1.they mail me for pre order r1 zenith.but dont know is that sound good from r1.looking great zenith.dont know is it sound great or not than r1.

I hav about 50 pair of earphones.i want to stop buy earphones.but dont know why can i not do this?when i saw earphones in any price range 50 to 800 usd i buy especially between 150-300 usd range.my one an only hobby bro.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,427 of 3,190
Damn, just when I say I don't need the braided cable he knocks off another 20 pounds.

Of course, if this is a stock clear, than will he replace it with an updated model or stick with the new stock cable only..

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,428 of 3,190
No updated model planned. If there is enough demand for Bobs cables he will organize more next year.

I can just say: I dont know any other cable which is so well done for this price. If you need fancy metal connecors which add unnecessary weight to the cable look out for some $150+ aftermarketcable with eidolic connectors and splitters. If you like lightweight, minimalistic and quality go for the Ultra Thin umbilical cord :smile:

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,430 of 3,190
Still new to this hobby, but how annoying a 2.5mm input is? It seems I can't plug it into my Dragonfly, or into my Magni. So you need an adapter in that case right? Don't you lose audio quality using such adapters?

Yes. You will need an 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS adapter. Like the BL35 from Fiio or the CA01 from iBasso. Im using the Ultra Thin cable from Bob connected to the Fiio BL35 and finally connected to the precious little Shanling M0 3.5mm TRS output. I tested the Fiio adapter with my old A&K70 MKII player that got 2.5 and 3.5 connectors. There was no audible difference to my ears using the adapter between headphonecable and DAP.

Im currently looking for a new second DAP with 2.5 TRRS output. No A&K for sure. I need a new toy from a brand that got an active, communicative and caring support. My eyes are on the Shanling M5s. I would also like to give a Plenue L a try but my wallet is looking angry at me while im writing these words. :sweat_smile:

DAP with adapter:

Fiio BL35_10.JPG

DAP w/o adapter (nice and clean)

Meze 99 NEO_13.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,431 of 3,190
Still new to this hobby, but how annoying a 2.5mm input is? It seems I can't plug it into my Dragonfly, or into my Magni. So you need an adapter in that case right? Don't you lose audio quality using such adapters?

He does have an option for regular 3.5mm if that's what you are after to save messing with adapters.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,432 of 3,190
No, generally you don't because the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables are made of similar kind of wires as the earphones' cables thenselves. My LZ A4's original cable has been damaged due to excessive sweating and i only had a 2.5mm cable to go with the lz. So i bought a fiio l36 cable and there was basically no sound degradation whatsoever. I used my hiby r3 for the test btw.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,434 of 3,190
Yes. You will need an 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS adapter. Like the BL35 from Fiio or the CA01 from iBasso. Im using the Ultra Thin cable from Bob connected to the Fiio BL35 and finally connected to the precious little Shanling M0 3.5mm TRS output. I tested the Fiio adapter with my old A&K70 MKII player that got 2.5 and 3.5 connectors. There was no audible difference to my ears using the adapter between headphonecable and DAP.

Im currently looking for a new second DAP with 2.5 TRRS output. No A&K for sure. I need a new toy from a brand that got an active, communicative and caring support. My eyes are on the Shanling M5s. I would also like to give a Plenue L a try but my wallet is looking angry at me while im writing these words. :sweat_smile:

DAP with adapter:

DAP w/o adapter (nice and clean)

why did you even waste money on ak daps? there are far better options out there at even better prices (although i am going by specs here :p)

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,435 of 3,190
why did you even waste money on ak daps? there are far better options out there at even better prices (although i am going by specs here :p)

Thats true... but as an old iRiver "mp3-player" fan i wanted to experience an A&K dap once. I still got the old IFP-795 MP3 player with awesome 512 MB capability in nearly new condition in a drawer of my desk. As i have the Shanling M0 in titan color i might push the button soon and order a M5s in black. :loud_sound: :man_dancing::stars:

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,436 of 3,190
Thats true... but as an old iRiver "mp3-player" fan i wanted to experience an A&K dap once. I still got the old IFP-795 MP3 player with awesome 512 MB capability in nearly new condition in a drawer of my desk. As i have the Shanling M0 in titan color i might push the button soon and order a M5s in black. :loud_sound: :man_dancing::stars:
i see...well if u get the m5s, do let us know, i am interested in that as well.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,438 of 3,190
yeah, once you preorder, you can cancel the order until you are charged

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,439 of 3,190
No updated model planned. If there is enough demand for Bobs cables he will organize more next year.

I can just say: I dont know any other cable which is so well done for this price. If you need fancy metal connecors which add unnecessary weight to the cable look out for some $150+ aftermarketcable with eidolic connectors and splitters. If you like lightweight, minimalistic and quality go for the Ultra Thin umbilical cord :smile:

And you know this how? You sure Bob is not phasing this cable out in order to offer something new and possibly improved?

@HungryPanda , you say there is no degradation in going from 2.5 balanced to 3.5 SE? So if you take a balanced configured connector at one end and then change the other end to a 3.5 SE connector is it still balanced? I may be wrong but I thought you had to have a balanced configuration all the way end to end to be truly balanced? Always love having a chance to learn something new even at my ripe old age:rolling_eyes::beerchug:

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,440 of 3,190
Hiii bro soham.where are u from india?which state.i am from weat bengal.of course i hav imr r1.they mail me for pre order r1 zenith.but dont know is that sound good from r1.looking great zenith.dont know is it sound great or not than r1.

I hav about 50 pair of earphones.i want to stop buy earphones.but dont know why can i not do this?when i saw earphones in any price range 50 to 800 usd i buy especially between 150-300 usd range.my one an only hobby bro.

First step is to quit headfi if you really want to stop. Second step is to realize that there is no end game and can only carry on with the madness. Third step is the realization that you can still be interested in the iems/headphones/daps and not actually purchase them. That last one has saved me a heck of a lot of cash. Well that and my natural indecisiveness!

Don't know what India's like for meetings and the like but maybe try to get along to any that are near you? That way you can demo a load without actually buying anything.

There's nothing wrong with getting new toy's in in moderation. Maybe narrow down what it is you are looking for in a headphone and try and focus on that.

That's just my outlook on headphones and headfi in general. It's a great place to visit but you do need to exercise some caution before disappearing down the rabbit hole!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back