IMR - R1 Thread
May 15, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #601 of 3,190
Vent affects noise Isolation, but does not change the frequency response. Blue and pink filters with vent open the same as with vent closed.
The black filters are the only ones that have no micro apertures, so perhaps that is why there is no difference between vent open and vent closed. However, with pink filters installed, I ran them with with pink and brown noise and could definitely hear the difference with the vents opened and closed...

May 16, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #602 of 3,190
I'm confused about the connectors on these. I'm looking for an aftermarket mic/remote cable and my understanding from posts on this thread is that the connectors are standard 0.78mm and near the beginning of the thread I saw that Bob reckons practically any aftermarket cable will fit.
However, the R1 cable connectors have a 'male' key and the IEM body has a matching 'female' key. All the images I've found of aftermarket cables show a 'female' key on the connector, which is the opposite of what's required.
Can someone confirm the exact type of connector I should be looking for, maybe another popular IEM that uses the same type?

May 16, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #603 of 3,190
I'm confused about the connectors on these. I'm looking for an aftermarket mic/remote cable and my understanding from posts on this thread is that the connectors are standard 0.78mm and near the beginning of the thread I saw that Bob reckons practically any aftermarket cable will fit.
However, the R1 cable connectors have a 'male' key and the IEM body has a matching 'female' key. All the images I've found of aftermarket cables show a 'female' key on the connector, which is the opposite of what's required.
Can someone confirm the exact type of connector I should be looking for, maybe another popular IEM that uses the same type?
Un-keyed .78mm connectors work fine. Most have a color dot that indicates the plus side of the connector...

May 16, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #604 of 3,190
Hey guys, I just received the IMR R1 a few days ago and the first impression wasn't that good. I struggled to find the right fit but after a bit of playing around and wearing them over-ear, I discovered that they can be quite comfortable! But I was still rather unhappy because I played the "Driver Matching Test" from the Headphones Test website and somehow they didn't match that well.

Ready to return them I gave them another chance and thought about some reports that Burn-In might help. Well, it sure as hell did. The driver flex is gone, or only very slight now, the channel balance actually improved as well! What I did is play some really fast EDM music on the highest volume my Xonar STX Card provides and boy, they can get loud with distorting at all. It's pretty crazy, you can stand in the room and clearly and loudly hear the music and they don't disort. I did this for only 10 minutes but that already helped.

What can I say, now I'm a believer in Burn-In and I'm really happy with these, although I really need a new cable. :) No, really, they just sound insane... I can't believe how vast the soundstage is and the details and clarity they provide, amazing.

Despite all that, I'd love to hear some reports regarding the Headphone Test which you can find here:

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Its the "Driver Matching" test. I'd love to hear some reports. Do you guys also have some imbalances, if yes, does it annoy you, do you hear it in normal tracks? I'm not 100% sure if I'm even able to hear any imbalances when just listening to music.

May 16, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #605 of 3,190
Hey guys, I just received the IMR R1 a few days ago and the first impression wasn't that good. I struggled to find the right fit but after a bit of playing around and wearing them over-ear, I discovered that they can be quite comfortable! But I was still rather unhappy because I played the "Driver Matching Test" from the Headphones Test website and somehow they didn't match that well.

Ready to return them I gave them another chance and thought about some reports that Burn-In might help. Well, it sure as hell did. The driver flex is gone, or only very slight now, the channel balance actually improved as well! What I did is play some really fast EDM music on the highest volume my Xonar STX Card provides and boy, they can get loud with distorting at all. It's pretty crazy, you can stand in the room and clearly and loudly hear the music and they don't disort. I did this for only 10 minutes but that already helped.

What can I say, now I'm a believer in Burn-In and I'm really happy with these, although I really need a new cable. :) No, really, they just sound insane... I can't believe how vast the soundstage is and the details and clarity they provide, amazing.

Despite all that, I'd love to hear some reports regarding the Headphone Test which you can find here:

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Its the "Driver Matching" test. I'd love to hear some reports. Do you guys also have some imbalances, if yes, does it annoy you, do you hear it in normal tracks? I'm not 100% sure if I'm even able to hear any imbalances when just listening to music.
Bob recommends 50 hours of burn-in. The L/R imbalance you are experiencing is probably due to incomplete burn-in. And, you are using the correct approach, music with lots of transients played loudly.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #606 of 3,190
Un-keyed .78mm connectors work fine. Most have a color dot that indicates the plus side of the connector...

Thanks. Can I assume female keyed connectors also work ok?
I'm looking at this one in particular

May 16, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #607 of 3,190
Thanks. Can I assume female keyed connectors also work ok?
I'm looking at this one in particular
Yes, that is what I am using. With female keyed connectors, you align the female key of the connector with the female key of the IEM and everything will be hunky dory.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #608 of 3,190
Yes, that is what I am using. With female keyed connectors, you align the female key of the connector with the female key of the IEM and everything will be hunky dory.
Excellent, cheers

May 17, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #610 of 3,190
perfect, thanks. That's the one I was looking at but the seller I had was charging $5 more :)

May 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #612 of 3,190
I admit it. I was powerless over my addiction to SpinFits. Thanks to the urging of the group, with shaking wrist I clicked Buy now with 1-Click for a package of Spiral Dots. Wow! Definitely the best of the tips I have tried so far, both for fit and sonics. Thanks to the group... My ears are golden again:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #613 of 3,190
R1 are amazing! My 2011 galaxy nexus ( not even a stand alone dap ) sounds freaking amazing playing variety of 64-320kbps mp3s. TOTL IEM? Id say its the EOTL ( end of the line ) IEM!

Where does one get FLAC files? I want to hear hi res sound on these things. Unfortunately my preferred choice of music ( mix of electro and dance styles with big fat base ) leaves me with crappy low res files. I dont even know if FLAC files of that stuff exist.

I do like classic rock and some other more "normal" music, which can be had in FLAC. Soundcloud is one of the places for a variety of music, too.

May 18, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #614 of 3,190
R1 are amazing! My 2011 galaxy nexus ( not even a stand alone dap ) sounds freaking amazing playing variety of 64-320kbps mp3s. TOTL IEM? Id say its the EOTL ( end of the line ) IEM!

Where does one get FLAC files? I want to hear hi res sound on these things. Unfortunately my preferred choice of music ( mix of electro and dance styles with big fat base ) leaves me with crappy low res files. I dont even know if FLAC files of that stuff exist.

I do like classic rock and some other more "normal" music, which can be had in FLAC. Soundcloud is one of the places for a variety of music, too.
I use JRiver to upscale my personal mp3 library to flac and load the files to my player. Others may have other solutions, but this is what I use.....
Also, check out HD Tracks to purchase flacs!!

May 18, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #615 of 3,190
I use JRiver to upscale my personal mp3 library to flac and load the files to my player. Others may have other solutions, but this is what I use.....
Also, check out HD Tracks to purchase flacs!!

This method will however not improve the sound quality, as far as I’m aware it will probably lessen the quality. Don’t think it’s possible to ‘upscale’ from mp3 to flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back