IMR - R1 Thread
May 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #587 of 3,190
May 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #590 of 3,190
May 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #592 of 3,190
Great stuff! However, not to sound ungrateful, IMHO two of the most important configurations are missing: blue and pink filters with vent open.
I agree. Blue open is the 'most balanced' with 'widest soundstage' so will be popular with a lot of users. However, they all sound obvious. I'm now playing with the blue ones again as they've definitely calmed down after burning in.

May 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #593 of 3,190
Got a little package today, and inside JVC spiral dots. And all my problems with fitment disappeared. Even the indestructible, but springy cable is a no issue now. Something so small and inexpensive, as a silicon tip, changed everything. R1s shape was never an issue.
My take on IEM tips is this:
- practically any stock silicon iem tips: while they may work for majority of people, they are usually made of rather stiff silicon, may be uncomfortable and even painful after some time
- foam: good fit and comfort but i just cant get used to using them, deteriorate with use
- SpinFit: nice soft silicon material, can rotate to provide better fit and isolation, minus is that they are taller because of their design, narrow opening may get obstructed which leads to audio loss
- Spiral Dot: very soft and comfortable silicon, big opening to let all air and sound, tiny dots pattern may/may not provide anything sonic wise, biggest advantage for me is that they are SHORT, excellent fit

But Spiral dots .. omg, so comfy and no issues. Im going to quote Pinky Powers regarding IMR R1 here: " It’s so good you may quit the hobby forever and call it a day."

I am still waiting on a nice and thin copper cable, with metal wire near the ear part to hold form.

I hope this helps others struggling with fitment. Because prior to Spiraldots, i was considering selling them ( R1s ) off. Looking and searching for that ideal IEM can be daunting and exhausting. Can relax and enjoy them now. Black filter open port.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #594 of 3,190
Got a little package today, and inside JVC spiral dots. And all my problems with fitment disappeared. Even the indestructible, but springy cable is a no issue now. Something so small and inexpensive, as a silicon tip, changed everything. R1s shape was never an issue.
My take on IEM tips is this:
- practically any stock silicon iem tips: while they may work for majority of people, they are usually made of rather stiff silicon, may be uncomfortable and even painful after some time
- foam: good fit and comfort but i just cant get used to using them, deteriorate with use
- SpinFit: nice soft silicon material, can rotate to provide better fit and isolation, minus is that they are taller because of their design, narrow opening may get obstructed which leads to audio loss
- Spiral Dot: very soft and comfortable silicon, big opening to let all air and sound, tiny dots pattern may/may not provide anything sonic wise, biggest advantage for me is that they are SHORT, excellent fit

But Spiral dots .. omg, so comfy and no issues. Im going to quote Pinky Powers here: " It’s so good you may quit the hobby forever and call it a day."

I am still waiting on a nice and thin copper cable, with metal wire near the ear part to hold form.

I hope this helps others struggling with fitment. Because prior to Spiraldots, i was considering selling them ( R1s ) off. Looking and searching for that ideal IEM can be daunting and exhausting. Can relax and enjoy them now. Black filter open port.
Great R&D! One other point I would add about foam tips is that they mangle both the highs and the lows.

My reticence about going after Spiral Dots has been sizing. Can you share your insights about the mapping of SpinFit sizes to Spiral Dot sizes? I am using a Large SpinFit in my left ear and a Medium in the right. What size Spiral Dots should I be trying?

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #595 of 3,190
Here. And while specs tell us different story, you can visually see the difference. Made a big change in comfort for me. 16$ for 3 pairs of SpDots. Worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180515_165340rhh.jpg
    IMG_20180515_165340rhh.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #597 of 3,190
I own Spinfits in M and L. Different IEMs require different sizes. I try to keep it symmetrical ( same size tip each side ), although my ear canal shape differ L from R ( tiny bit bigger ). SpiralDots i got in M size.

I bough Spiraldots here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSLXNOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Spiral dot size chart i found says:
L (about 14 mm) ML (about 13 mm) M (about 12 mm) MS (about 11 mm) S (about 10 mm)

Spinfit sizes are in the image.
r2qrf2r.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back