IMR - R1 Thread
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,536 of 3,190
Gents - as an owner of the R1 (very happy owner mind you) I am torn - with my discount code I can get a set of the Zenith from the Facebook shop (Used - Good Condition) for ~300 CAD. For those who have been using the Zenith and the R1, is this a worthwhile upgrade? I have a set of Final E5000 that I just recently acquired that I could sell to make up the difference.. but wondering if they'd be a clear upgrade, or a sidegrade..
Hard to say. If my money was tight for buying earphones I'd probably order the R2. You can always sell if you don't like them and zenith isn't going anywhere. You may not get a 2nd chance at the R2 and to be honest from the description they sound potentially more balanced.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,537 of 3,190
Hard to say. If my money was tight for buying earphones I'd probably order the R2. You can always sell if you don't like them and zenith isn't going anywhere. You may not get a 2nd chance at the R2 and to be honest from the description they sound potentially more balanced.

Interesting take - thanks for your opinion. Only issue is if they are open back, leakage will be big.. I wouldn't be able to use them at work, which is where I listen to lots of the time.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,538 of 3,190
Interesting take - thanks for your opinion. Only issue is if they are open back, leakage will be big.. I wouldn't be able to use them at work, which is where I listen to lots of the time.
Open back? The consensus I've understood is the R1 Zenith is that they're kind of half way, maybe even leaning slightly towards closed.

The open port on them doesn't act in the way of changing the isolation level drastically.

Now the R2, not sure about that. I emailed Bob. I expect it's like most IEM's=closed.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,539 of 3,190
You have a tough decision go make then. Just to add to the pressure, Bob posted on his Facebook page that a third of all units had sold within 2 hours of going live, probably making it liable to be a sell out in short order. If you want a bit more detail and texture over the R1 then the Zenith is a known quantity.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,540 of 3,190
100 units sold.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,541 of 3,190
Now the R2, not sure about that. I emailed Bob. I expect it's like most IEM's=closed.

Bob told me these are open back, but in a sense like R1 with opened ports. So there will be both some isolation and leakage.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,543 of 3,190
"The R2 Aten is an exquisite open backed in-ear monitor incorporating an all new bespoke IMR driver." - from the product description.
This makes me veeeeeeeeeeeery pumped.

You have a tough decision go make then. Just to add to the pressure, Bob posted on his Facebook page that a third of all units had sold within 2 hours of going live, probably making it liable to be a sell out in short order. If you want a bit more detail and texture over the R1 then the Zenith is a known quantity.
If the previous owners snap them all up I'm assuming no public release?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,544 of 3,190
Bob told me these are open back, but in a sense like R1 with opened ports. So there will be both some isolation and leakage.
More open the better for me. I know I'm probably the minority there but for me in an office I need to hear the phone ringing when I'm turned around away from it or if my cubicle neighbor is trying to get my attention.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,545 of 3,190
This makes me veeeeeeeeeeeery pumped. Although seeing as how I don't see them on the official site, I'll take it previous owners are getting priority access? And if my memory is right, isn't there only 300, 350 of these being made? Or was that some other side project he had going.

Correct. Pre-sale for previous IMR customers. "300 units world-wide".

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,546 of 3,190
More open the better for me. I know I'm probably the minority there but for me in an office I need to hear the phone ringing when I'm turned around away from it or if my cubicle neighbor is trying to get my attention.
Although I like the sound of an open back IMR headphone, its the leakage that is concern for me working closely with others, as they will get to hear what I'm listening to all day long - unfortunately I doubt they'll be too thrilled with that.

I think the Zenith may be my only option, but for the price with loyalty discount, its realllllly hard for me to pass up.

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,547 of 3,190

Although I like the sound of an open back IMR headphone, its the leakage that is concern for me working closely with others, as they will get to hear what I'm listening to all day long - unfortunately I doubt they'll be too thrilled with that.

I think the Zenith may be my only option, but for the price with loyalty discount, its realllllly hard for me to pass up.
I may go same route as you. Get the Zenith, try it out. Bob seemed great to deal with and assured my returns are easy if unhappy with the used item. Sounds good to me.

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,548 of 3,190
I may go same route as you. Get the Zenith, try it out. Bob seemed great to deal with and assured my returns are easy if unhappy with the used item. Sounds good to me.

Yeah I definitely trust Bob for it - my R1 weren't used but were imperfect (casings are offcolor). Had nothing but success with them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back