IMR - R1 Thread
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,505 of 3,190
Also preordered, and ardently looking forward to the Zenith. I think the R1 B stock was probably one of my wisest audio choices I've made. To get something claiming to be better, but for less than the cost I paid for the the B-Stock (at least for those fortunate enough to preorder) was a deal I couldn't pass on. The R1 is an awesome IEM, but there is something about the mids that seem a tad off to me. The purported improvements are adjustments I'd welcome. Hoping for a bit more instrument separation and natural decay, without losing out on coherency as well.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,506 of 3,190
Also preordered, and ardently looking forward to the Zenith. I think the R1 B stock was probably one of my wisest audio choices I've made. To get something claiming to be better, but for less than the cost I paid for the the B-Stock (at least for those fortunate enough to preorder) was a deal I couldn't pass on. The R1 is an awesome IEM, but there is something about the mids that seem a tad off to me. The purported improvements are adjustments I'd welcome. Hoping for a bit more instrument separation and natural decay, without losing out on coherency as well.

What filters do you use? I use the crazy bass copper ones and the mids are some the best I've heard. I also use triple flange tips with symbios foam though. It definitely makes a difference in some genres of music.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #1,507 of 3,190
What filters do you use? I use the crazy bass copper ones and the mids are some the best I've heard. I also use triple flange tips with symbios foam though. It definitely makes a difference in some genres of music.

I alternate between the pink and blue filters.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,508 of 3,190
My conclusion over the last few months of reading the reviews of the R1 and the IEM's it has been compared against, this zenith, at the pre-order price is well beyond it's price to quality.

I think it is going to be at the end of diminishing returns, trying to squeeze the last bit of improvement from IEM's, is going to cost far more. The improvement's I imagine from higher end IEM's is going to be marginal or personal preference. For a hobbyist like myself, the R1 & zenith make for a superb IEM due to the custom filters etc.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #1,509 of 3,190
My conclusion over the last few months of reading the reviews of the R1 and the IEM's it has been compared against, this zenith, at the pre-order price is well beyond it's price to quality.

I think it is going to be at the end of diminishing returns, trying to squeeze the last bit of improvement from IEM's, is going to cost far more. The improvement's I imagine from higher end IEM's is going to be marginal or personal preference. For a hobbyist like myself, the R1 & zenith make for a superb IEM due to the custom filters etc.

This is one of those statements that new Head-Fi'ers should be made to read. Diminishing returns are definitely in effect in the performance tier the R1 plays in, so spending two or three times the RRP only buys you 10 to 15% actual improvement, in most cases. It's like sports cars - once you've moved up to something like a Porsche, it's obviously better than a station wagon but is there really that much difference with a Lamborghini if you are only driving it on normal roads?

At that sort of level, most IEMs will be technically very good, so it really is more about findingone that's tuned to your own sonicpreferences. Looking forward to the Zenith - Bob thinks it's taken the R1 design as far as it can go soundwise so am very interested to hear it in person.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #1,511 of 3,190
This is one of those statements that new Head-Fi'ers should be made to read. Diminishing returns are definitely in effect in the performance tier the R1 plays in, so spending two or three times the RRP only buys you 10 to 15% actual improvement, in most cases. It's like sports cars - once you've moved up to something like a Porsche, it's obviously better than a station wagon but is there really that much difference with a Lamborghini if you are only driving it on normal roads?

At that sort of level, most IEMs will be technically very good, so it really is more about findingone that's tuned to your own sonicpreferences. Looking forward to the Zenith - Bob thinks it's taken the R1 design as far as it can go soundwise so am very interested to hear it in person.

I've never heard the R1 but I imagine it to be a good step up from the icarus iii's I use. Im happy with my B&W P7W's for over ear use, though if these zenith's are what I'm hoping for, I may well sell them on and buy a quality pair of open back's purely for at home use. The zenith for everything else out and about, travel etc.

Off topic question, sorry, am I able to sell on headfi posting from my phone now? I wasnxt able to before and I don't use a conputer for the internet. There's some tidy audio bits I want to sell...

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,513 of 3,190
New email from Bob.... payments start on 9th and shipping the week after. Preorder still possible until the 8th!

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,514 of 3,190
Double post

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_9-41-1.png
    upload_2019-1-3_9-41-1.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back