Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #8,866 of 18,152
Since my Avalon has an issue in the drivers, I started listening to Ozar that we received for free from Bob. I ignored it since I received it thinking that it is a basic IEM. it tunrs out that it is really excellent, in particular with rock music. I’m listening to Mark Knopfler in the beach right now and I enjoy it a lot. Really impressed by Ozar
Did you send em for.repair? What's the problem with em?

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #8,867 of 18,152
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #8,868 of 18,152
I'm taking off for a 10 day trip through Rockies this morning on my Iron Horse and will be gone for 10 day. Gonna leave the Ace hooked up to my desktop rig so I figure they'll be at 300 hours on my return. Really looking forward to this trip but looking forward to my seasoned Aces too! IMG_20220713_131524.jpg
Sweet ride

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #8,869 of 18,152
IMG_20220814_183211.jpg
time to give these a go

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #8,870 of 18,152
The rattle with my right Ace is not a loose black bar, it's internal, so will be sending it back to Bob.

While I'm early in the burn in process (about 50 hours), I'm not yet hearing what I would call amazing sounds ... the kind of stuff y'all are raving about. Does it sound good? Yes. Does it equal or exceed my Elan and DM? No. Maybe the rave reviews aren't making that kind of claim, but I feel like my ears are missing the Ace party everyone else is at. :smile: :slight_frown:

Maybe it's my turn to have a dud unit and Bob can sprinkle some pixie dust on them like @dharmasteve has had happen.
Give it some more time I'd say. I think I've about 120 hours on Ace now and I've noticed very positive improvements.

Tips, as was suggested to me by another head-fier here, make a huge difference. I spent a few hours last night going through different tips and most of the tips I'd usually use on other iems were some of the worst performing with Ace. I needed to use a larger size than normal too as the stems are short so I wasn't getting a great seal.

I still find the upper mids a little harsh/ shouty at times. Hopefully it improves with time but I'd say it's more of a tuning choice. I listen to a lot of female vocals and depending on how energetic they are it can be a problem.

Overall though, I'm very impressed with Ace considering the price so hopefully with some burn in you'll start to see the same.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #8,871 of 18,152
I still find the upper mids a little harsh/ shouty at times. Hopefully it improves with time but I'd say it's more of a tuning choice. I listen to a lot of female vocals and depending on how energetic they are it can be a problem.

Overall though, I'm very impressed with Ace considering the price so hopefully with some burn in you'll start to see the same.
after 350 hrs that has calmed down...even using black uppers everything sounds very well balanced
I dont think you can get away from them [jn general having a] large, meaty and thick sound over all although with pure clear mids highs

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #8,873 of 18,152
Interestingly - THAT is how the ACE are currently sounding - big, powerful and very well tuned :)
Have a safe and heart opening trip buddy
Thanks pal. Soul purging!

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #8,875 of 18,152
As I get more hours on the Ace, the soundstage is expanding and measuring up with the best I have. Imaging and spacial placement is excellent as is depth and width of the stage. Although there is good solid mid-bass, mids and treble the Ace is balanced yet exciting. The only thing missing is a little more rumble in the sub-bass area. What a great IEM the Ace is.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #8,876 of 18,152
Funny how burn-in, exposure time, etc. affects the way you hear things. I've been listening to the ZII for the last 2 days and as I said before, it's growing on me. Is the sound changing? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. I'm definitely hearing that "organic" sound, very well tuned (if a bit bass-heavy) and powerful sounding, with huge staging. Very addicting. I feel like I could listen to these for hours and get lost in the music.

In contrast, when I switch to the ACE, I'm hearing that the tonality is a bit "off". The mids have a plasticky sound to them, compared to the ZII. I don't remember hearing this before, so it's either that my ears have adjusted to the ZII, or the ACE has changed its sound as it burns in, or I just never noticed it before without having the ZII for comparison.

As I said, it's a funny thing. But oddly, it's making me really appreciate the sound profile of the ZII at the moment. Sure, I may not be hearing all the tiny nuances in the music that I might catch with the ACE, but even if I'm only hearing 90% of the information, it's presented in such a way as to be really, really enjoyable. Bob has produced two very different IEMs here. I'm really glad I have them both.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #8,877 of 18,152
Anyone with Zenith II try red lower and green upper filters, I find it brings everything under more control. Usually I use black lowers with black upper filters.
Using red/red. If the treble starts to bother me in the future, I'll switch to green upper.

If my purple lower wasn't so darn "bass-empty", I think I'd use it. But when I go from red to purple in the lower filter, the bass completely disappears. I think there might be something wrong with them. I may try the purple ones from my ACE tomorrow.

In any case, the red/red filters are definitely good for the ZII, according to my ears anyway.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #8,878 of 18,152
So testing the Zenith 11 today put on Dire Straits love over gold album.. Wooah 5 Dire straits album later.. So special I forgot I was supposed to be critical listening, just closed my eyes total emersion in the music as the hours floated by. The Ace and Zenith 11 are the one two combination that knock pretty much every iem I have out of the game. (well maybe the DM plays the same field)

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #8,879 of 18,152
As I get more hours on the Ace, the soundstage is expanding and measuring up with the best I have. Imaging and spacial placement is excellent as is depth and width of the stage. Although there is good solid mid-bass, mids and treble the Ace is balanced yet exciting. The only thing missing is a little more rumble in the sub-bass area. What a great IEM the Ace is.
Are you using black stem with ACE? I'm at around 80 hours now and AB ACE with DM daily. I don't expect them to dethrone the DM.

They had very dull highs out of the box but started to open up noticeable. Highs still seem to seat behind mids and the bass except 8Khz peak I perceive. I wish them to improve with time. They are staying in my collection for the bass they produce with DD\planar combo. It got a unique and beautiful texture I never heard and to my ear they have plenty of sub bass with black stem and blue filter.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #8,880 of 18,152
So testing the Zenith 11 today put on Dire Straits love over gold album.. Wooah 5 Dire straits album later.. just closed my eyes total emersion in the music as the hours floated by.
Do you not think this reads a whole lot better with the below omitted from the above…isn’t this supposed to be the goal to forget time as a fourth dimension exists and we just exist on a plane in space enveloped in a sphere of pseudo vibrations
So special I forgot I was supposed to be critical listening
Like I honestly interpret this as I am going to sit down to intentionally find something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back