Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #8,851 of 18,540
My ACE is well over the 400 hour mark now. Cant give a higher praise than by saying I often drift away when listening to music! Meaning what I am hearing is about as perfect as I could wish for. there is nothing that bothers my ears, gross or subtle. Very few IEM' can do that for me.

As before the CNT driver seems to come into its maturity around 350 hours and further refines up to and beyond 500 hrs.

Something a bit different. Beautiful, poignant sad album but great for testing vocals and brass !!

Diversions Vol 2. constitutes perhaps the most daring and accomplished of musical adventures to date for The Unthanks Their paradoxical marriage of staunch traditionalism and sonic adventure continues in the shape of brand new collaboration with Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band, known as the best public subscription band in the world, celebrating their second successive year as National Champions of Great Britain.

The record is the culmination of a project that began as a commission from Brass: Durham International Festival, with Unthanks pianist, composer and producer Adrian McNally writing The Father’s Suite: a four movement piece in celebration of Rachel Unthank and McNally’s first child, born four weeks before the sold-out, premiere in Durham Cathedral.

The record kicks off with the televised performance of King of Rome that was so rapturously received at the BBC Folk Awards earlier this year.
The record also features a heartbreaking rendition of Trimdon Grange Explosion by Rachel Unthank, debut lead vocal performance by Niopha Keegan (Lagan Love) and Chris Price (his tongue in cheek Queen of Hearts, dubbed Croon of Hearts!) and re-workings of previous Unthanks material, including Fareweel Regality, Felton Lonnin, Blue Bleezing Blind Drunk Gan to the Kye and Newcastle Lullaby.

The cover illustration is by Becky Unthank (who sings King of Rome) and depicts the character Charlie from the song.

While all the tracks on this record were recorded live in concert halls, cathedrals and town halls; some in front of an audience and some not; it should not be regarded as a ‘live album’, in the lowly, lesser sense of the term. A live album would normally contain pieces that an artist has recorded more definitive studio versions of previously. That is not the case here. The scale of a brass band and the practicalities of singing with them almost necessitates live performance anyway, so why not in front of an audience? For better or worse, these are the definitive versions!

Diversions Vol 2. follows on from Vol. 1 (The Songs of Robert Wyatt and Antony & The Johnsons) released in Dec 2011, and by the Autumn, Vol 3. there will be Vol. 3 – Songs from the Shipyards – a album of songs from the live soundtrack that The Unthanks perform to a new film about our shipbuilding past, touring in October. That will be 3 albums in a year from The Unthanks, or 4 in 18 months, counting their studio album ‘Last’.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #8,852 of 18,540
Interesting that Aces are so sensitive. I even switched to 3.5 to have easier time adjusting the volume, as on one of the sources it's tricky to dial it right on the balanced output.

On the bright side, the lower end energy seemed to settle down finally. As previously pretty much any song sounded as if it was some cover by "Mad drummer ... and the rest" fictional band. 😆 Now things are more balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #8,853 of 18,540
The rattle with my right Ace is not a loose black bar, it's internal, so will be sending it back to Bob.

While I'm early in the burn in process (about 50 hours), I'm not yet hearing what I would call amazing sounds ... the kind of stuff y'all are raving about. Does it sound good? Yes. Does it equal or exceed my Elan and DM? No. Maybe the rave reviews aren't making that kind of claim, but I feel like my ears are missing the Ace party everyone else is at. :smile: :slight_frown:

Maybe it's my turn to have a dud unit and Bob can sprinkle some pixie dust on them like @dharmasteve has had happen.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #8,854 of 18,540
I'm taking off for a 10 day trip through Rockies this morning on my Iron Horse and will be gone for 10 day. Gonna leave the Ace hooked up to my desktop rig so I figure they'll be at 300 hours on my return. Really looking forward to this trip but looking forward to my seasoned Aces too! IMG_20220713_131524.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #8,855 of 18,540
I'm taking off for a 10 day trip through Rockies this morning on my Iron Horse and will be gone for 10 day. Gonna leave the Ace hooked up to my desktop rig so I figure they'll be at 300 hours on my return. Really looking forward to this trip but looking forward to my seasoned Aces too!

Interestingly - THAT is how the ACE are currently sounding - big, powerful and very well tuned :)
Have a safe and heart opening trip buddy

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #8,856 of 18,540
I'm taking off for a 10 day trip through Rockies this morning on my Iron Horse and will be gone for 10 day. Gonna leave the Ace hooked up to my desktop rig so I figure they'll be at 300 hours on my return. Really looking forward to this trip but looking forward to my seasoned Aces too! IMG_20220713_131524.jpg
Have a fun and safe trip.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #8,858 of 18,540
500 hours is a lot of burn in required for these new IMRs. What are the most energy/cost effective ways of burning in IEMs for such a long duration? Old MP3 player?
I would suggest the most enery efficient and cost effective way to burn-in is to use the IEMs, just keep them in your ears and enjoy your IEMs, burn-in will happen with time.

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #8,859 of 18,540
Travel safely and enjoy the ride!

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #8,860 of 18,540
I asked Bob to send the Seraph+ in September. I will be out on holidays and it's better that way. I admit I'm a bit anxious with this build with such exotic hybrid configuration and the use of MEMS speaker.

Regarding the Titan, I have not yet decided but love the look of the shells.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #8,862 of 18,540
I would suggest the most enery efficient and cost effective way to burn-in is to use the IEMs, just keep them in your ears and enjoy your IEMs, burn-in will happen with time.
Unless they are IMR in which case they will sound not good for many hundreds of hours and you may well become despondent with them. Best to get to at least 300 hours before going through filters, tips, cables whatever you wish to fine tune the ACTUAL sound of the fully burned in drivers as per their tuned potential

I use an old tiny fiio mp3 player plugged into usb - Different music genres + regular breaks

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #8,863 of 18,540
Since my Avalon has an issue in the drivers, I started listening to Ozar that we received for free from Bob. I ignored it since I received it thinking that it is a basic IEM. it tunrs out that it is really excellent, in particular with rock music. I’m listening to Mark Knopfler in the beach right now and I enjoy it a lot. Really impressed by Ozar

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #8,864 of 18,540
@ChrisOc
Sorry for the delay, the bass in the om:

I got it sort of tamed with some padding in the back of the open outside nozzle, placed a bit of cotton in a ring form and pushed it at the very end of it leaving the center of the grill open. Will try to send you a picture later on. That helped a ton the bass and making the mids cleaner.

As well I placed some tape on the inside grill (just covered half) of my dm, it didn't give me the subbass I wanted but helped to clear up the mess in the upper mids/ low highs now i feel it way more clear.

As much as I love the stock sound, I find myself wanting to toy around with stuff, more since we got access to it. I wish I could play around with my Thor Mjolnir mk1 for example, which has an amazing driver but I know there's more to do for it. Anyway will post pictures of the "mods" later on

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #8,865 of 18,540
500 hours is a lot of burn in required for these new IMRs. What are the most energy/cost effective ways of burning in IEMs for such a long duration? Old MP3 player?

Have a look at all your devices data plate for the wattage used, then add any together if say desktop, dac, amp or whatever you use to burn in. Find the total wattage and then do the sum of wattage x 300hrs, then divide by your electric cost currently per Kwh. Something like that, then that is your target to beat. Work it out for everything you could possibly plug them into, once that is done you will have passed 300 hours anyway so just plug them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back