Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #8,896 of 18,536
Okay ... seem to have turned the corner with the Ace. About 85 hours burn in, and switched to double red filters. Spacious, rich, precise, maybe a spot of sibilance, but nothing too bad.

But, they'll be going back to Bob to address the "rattle" in the right unit today or tomorrow. I can live with that, knowing they are coming alive and Z II are incoming.

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #8,897 of 18,536
I've been reading lots of reviews lately of "Mid tier" iems around the £700 mark just curious, is it me? But the reviewers state they own many top tier iems them proceed to use old Samsung phones with cheap dongles, and cheap Daps like the Hidviz ap 80, as a source to test. How does that give a reliable experience? I have found that a good quality source is essential to get the full ability of an iem to show its true quality.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #8,898 of 18,536
I've been reading lots of reviews lately of "Mid tier" iems around the £700 mark just curious, is it me? But the reviewers state they own many top tier iems them proceed to use old Samsung phones with cheap dongles, and cheap Daps like the Hidviz ap 80, as a source to test. How does that give a reliable experience? I have found that a good quality source is essential to get the full ability of an iem to show its true quality.

I will start by saying, forgive the long response.

I agree entirely that (in many cases, not all) the better the quality of the DAC/Amp or DAP used, the better the sound quality. However, synery is more important than the perceived quality of a DAC/Amp or DAP. Not all DAC/Amps or DAPs regardless of the perceived quality, have the necessary synergy to bring out the best in a particular set of earphones.

To your main point, some reviewers take the view that a reviewer has to use "every day" sources (mobile phones with dongles) to test earphones and headphones, given most buyers do not have sophisticated playback devices at hand. The other school of thought is that anything other than an "every day" device increases the cost of getting the earphones or headphones so not a true reflection of the price of getting that set of earphones.

My view is, test on as many devices as possible and report the differences, because synergy is often side stepped. Synergy, in my view, is incredibly important to the purchase decision (if you know and agree with the preferences of the reviewer).

Instead, we, audio enthusiasts, argue about the sound of a specific set of earphones when our audio chain is different, from one to the next person. If you believe synergy matters, naturally, many arguments (again, not all, as mood and preferences play a part) would not even start because we try to compare like with like, rather than arguing about what could be a vastly different audio chain.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #8,900 of 18,536

I agree entirely that (in many cases, not all) the better the quality of the DAC/Amp or DAP used, the better the sound quality. However, synery is more important than the perceived quality of a DAC/Amp or DAP. Not all DAC/Amps or DAPs regardless of the perceived quality, have the necessary synergy to bring out the best in a particular set of earphones.

To your main point, some reviewers take the view that a reviewer has to use "every day" sources (mobile phones with dongles) to test earphones and headphones, given most buyers do not have sophisticated playback devices at hand. The other school of thought is that anything other than an "every day" device increases the cost of getting the earphones or headphones so not a true reflection of the price of getting that set of earphones.

My view is, test on as many devices as possible and report the differences, because synergy is often side stepped. Synergy, in my view, is incredibly important to the purchase decision (if you know and agree with the preferences of the reviewer).

Instead, we, audio enthusiasts, argue about the sound of a specific set of earphones when our audio chain is different, from one to the next person. If you believe synergy matters, naturally, many arguments (again, not all, as mood and preferences play a part) would not even start because we try to compare like with like, rather than arguing about what could be a vastly different audio chain.
I have had wildly different results from different Daps with the same iem. I just find reviews of Mid fi (wildly expensive in my world) need at least mid fi sources. Its like buying £700 speakers and plugging them into a suitcase turntable.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #8,902 of 18,536
In short, ignore reviews at all costs and trust yourself to enjoy what you like how you like it. Everyone is right in their descriptions of audio and equipment and there is always something better.
We are all reviewers (and so it should be) if our impressions have an effect on someone's decision whether to buy or not to buy.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #8,903 of 18,536
We are all reviewers (and so it should be) if our impressions have an effect on someone's decision whether to buy or not to buy.

We're all enthusiasts who love chatting cod sheet to each other which inadvertently for good or bad affects someone's decision to buy or not to buy.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #8,904 of 18,536
Wow, just one week from England to Utah for the Z II. Plugging them in now.

photo_2022-08-15_16-31-18.jpg

And here's my full IMR family ... from A(ce) to Z(enith II). Although ... the R2 Red are on sale and I think I'm giving up the Elan too ...

photo_2022-08-15_16-31-15.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #8,905 of 18,536
Yeah, mine arrived super fast as well. Very pleasantly surprised.

Can't get the ZII out of my ears lately. The smooth, yet detailed, sound is sooo addicting. With the vent open, the stage sounds noticeably larger, but some of the crispness is reduced. A fine tradeoff, since I have other IEMs for crisp details. The ZII is more of a chill set.

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #8,908 of 18,536
Hmm I just noticed my left ACE has a rattle as well. If I tap it, it's extremely obvious and the bar isn't lose. Anyone else have this issue? The right one is solid, no rattle.
That's four or five of us now, I think.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #8,909 of 18,536

Long but necessary. Some good points there. As a reviewer, you can never please anybody but the point is getting out your impressions out there so that others reading can make sound decisions of their own.

In short, ignore reviews at all costs and trust yourself to enjoy what you like how you like it. Everyone is right in their descriptions of audio and equipment and there is always something better.
In my case, I listen to reviews firstly to get an idea of what the transducer sounds like. This is quite the subjective hobby and so I try not to make judgments based on one review. An example is the Tri Starlight. Shilled by a minority but almost always criticised by the majority. I love it and so does @ChrisOc.

We are not all fortunate enough to be able to try before buy and so reviews do play a role for those of us who cannot. I have learned never to write-off any transducer just because a reviewer does not like it. Unfortunately though a really bad review does impact on your decision whether or not to blind buy and so that is the downside.

I am glad though that we have forums like this were we can lean on each other's impressions and views and this to me is where I find the most value. Impressions from fellow Head-fi's is gold!

photo_2022-08-15_16-31-18.jpg

And here's my full IMR family ... from A(ce) to Z(enith II). Although ... the R2 Red are on sale and I think I'm giving up the Elan too ...

photo_2022-08-15_16-31-15.jpg
Congratulations on the Zii! You're in for a ride!

I just bought the dark matter 😃
Nice! B-stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back