Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 7, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #8,478 of 18,272
A strange thing just happened. A vision arose in my mind, a shape in the sky. Silvery with a red knob. It spoke to me and said do you want to experience ecstacy. I said no. It said yes you do. I said alright then. The presence took control of my finger and suddenly, with one swoop, pushed an on screen button....it had bought the Zenith II for me. I said 'who are you', it said ' The God of IEMs' and I saw a vision of my postman saying 'not another one, what is a matter with you?'. Peace came over me.
I had the Z2 in my shopping cart last night. Decided to sleep on it and when I got up 70 minutes ago, decided to let these go.

But a funny thing happened just now. I pushed the BUY button. Looks like I got the second to last one.

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #8,479 of 18,272
I had the Z2 in my shopping cart last night. Decided to sleep on it and when I got up 70 minutes ago, decided to let these go.

But a funny thing happened just now. I pushed the BUY button. Looks like I got the second to last one.
Resistance is futile…and all that! Haha! Congratulations!

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #8,481 of 18,272
Congrats all you absolute legends for buying the Zenith II

UPDATE on ACE 250+ hours burn

OOTB they were quite thick, like a Scottish broth but listening today a lot of that thickness has dissolved into a very pure, clean and profoundly well balanced sound. Went back to an old favourite the gold lower/pink upper and they sound great. Surprised at how well every frequency is balanced and works together flawlessly. Nothing is vying for attention. Even more interested now in how they sound with maybe another 250!
I changed the upper from blue as the vocals were a bit dry and a tad brittle [the vocals are always a little forward in the mix - they are certainly never buried!]
but with the filters its not always simply one = more bass and another = more treble - its how the synergy of different combos work with each other
I will likely end up with more low end later but Im enjoying the balance right now

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #8,482 of 18,272
When you say lower and upper, what are you referring to? I'm still waiting for my Aces to arrive...

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #8,483 of 18,272
When you say lower and upper, what are you referring to? I'm still waiting for my Aces to arrive...
All IMR iems come with lower filters that effect the bass and upper filters that effect the treble
For example if you want maximum bass you would use the black lower filter but if you wanted to dampen the highs you could put the gold upper filter on top of the black filter.
Personally I find the level of bass I like then try different upper filters to tune in the mids and treble to where I like them
The IEMs ship with black/black which is basically max bass and treble
(grab the PDF on page 1 - more info + graphs on there)

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #8,485 of 18,272
Confirm this is the way. Always done this too.

And Lo did The King & Queen hath spaken, Let it be thus
and so it wathes to pass and the peoples of the land did rejoice

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #8,486 of 18,272
And Lo did The King & Queen hath spaken, Let it be thus
and so it wathes to pass and the peoples of the land did rejoice

I read this naturally in a voice that i can not place, is it actually from something although i also do not recognise the sentence.

Edit. So it would turn out that it is Dumbledore's voice my thoughts read that in lol.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #8,487 of 18,272
I am not.

If they turn out be the greatest thing ever after they are actually produced and in stock, then may be I'll reconsider. But I already have Avalon + Halcyon, so another DD+EST doesn't seem too appealing regardless of the tuning and EST count.

(Plus I have a ton of non IMR ones).
May you compare Avalon vs Halcyon sound-vise?
I have Halcyon and I’m curious how far Bob has gone with Avalon sound.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #8,488 of 18,272
Actually it's different to the new 'ACE' and more a copy of the TRi i3 with it's Planar/DD/BA. The planar is a larger one, keeping in line with modern 14-15mm Planar driver sizes. It seems it's Bone Conduction IMR vs BA Oriolus. I put my money on Bob. Why? Because I am listening to the fecking Ace treble and I like the timbre and extension a big lot. I don't think a BA will match the incredible timbre and treble of the ACE. If anybody wants to loan me the Oriolus I can make a comparison?
I've set of Szalayi here on loan for a week and hopefully my Ace arrives tomorrow as planned so I can do some comparisons, even if neither is fully burned in. Interesting to see how they compare.

Attachments

• 98E67A94-FDE2-4AAB-821C-747FB1A008F4.jpeg
    98E67A94-FDE2-4AAB-821C-747FB1A008F4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #8,490 of 18,272
May you compare Avalon vs Halcyon sound-vise?
I have Halcyon and I’m curious how far Bob has gone with Avalon sound.
I am not exactly an objective type when it comes to IEMs, as I am mainly interesed in whether I like it subjectively or not. Another thing to note is that I use Halcyon modded (since the open back ports got broken). And I also don't use original cable with Avalon.

That said, I would say Avalon is technically better. Halcyon is way more open sounding and because of that I actually perfer it over Avalon. If fact I sometimes even forget that I am listening to an IEM.

If you like bass, then imo Halcyon has more quantity wise, but Avalon has better quality.

And to my ears they sound very different. Objectively I am inclined to say that Avalon is better. But I can't say that there is any wow factor in it. Halcyon had some quirky mids (originally), that sounded thin and weird, but the mod (may be original open backs too, but I don't remmember now) gives it the sence of open space that makes it stand out from any other set that I have.

However, lately I am not using either too frequently as neither fit my ears particulary well (Avalon fits worse of the too) 🤫

So with Avalon sound Bob went pretty far. It's a different more refined/mature sound, but they don't have anything special that would make me pick them over other IEMs in my stable.

Probably not that helpful, but I tried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back