Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 7, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #8,491 of 18,115
I am not exactly an objective type when it comes to IEMs, as I am mainly interesed in whether I like it subjectively or not. Another thing to note is that I use Halcyon modded (since the open back ports got broken). And I also don't use original cable with Avalon.

That said, I would say Avalon is technically better. Halcyon is way more open sounding and because of that I actually perfer it over Avalon. If fact I sometimes even forget that I am listening to an IEM.

If you like bass, then imo Halcyon has more quantity wise, but Avalon has better quality.

And to my ears they sound very different. Objectively I am inclined to say that Avalon is better. But I can't say that there is any wow factor in it. Halcyon had some quirky mids (originally), that sounded thin and weird, but the mod (may be original open backs too, but I don't remmember now) gives it the sence of open space that makes it stand out from any other set that I have.

However, lately I am not using either too frequently as neither fit my ears particulary well (Avalon fits worse of the too) 🤫

So with Avalon sound Bob went pretty far. It's a different more refined/mature sound, but they don't have anything special that would make me pick them over other IEMs in my stable.

Probably not that helpful, but I tried.
thank you for comparison! I have Halcyon and Elan and I have some similar impressions with Elans. They are technical, but those ADLC 10mm driver is tuned not so funny sounding as Halcyon or EDP+, for example.

I hope with Ace and Zenith 2 Bob get back to fun tuning again :)

Those reviews of Zenith 2 remains me my impressions of OG Zenith and Athen, which were spectacular iems with stadium like staging on higher volumes😋

Oh, just switched to open back on Halcyon and the staging is OMG level :)
This Xinhs hybrid cable improves mid balance a lot. With closed back it is more v-shaped than original with a little overbearing on low base and some accent on mis-highs.
But with open back sound is way better balanced than stock cable. For my taste stock is too smooth with reduced presence in electrets region.

Attachments

• 8670CC42-3DFE-44C2-8878-71C113967A94.jpeg
    8670CC42-3DFE-44C2-8878-71C113967A94.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #8,493 of 18,115
thank you for comparison! I have Halcyon and Elan and I have some similar impressions with Elans. They are technical, but those ADLC 10mm driver is tuned not so funny sounding as Halcyon or EDP+, for example.

I hope with Ace and Zenith 2 Bob get back to fun tuning again :)

Those reviews of Zenith 2 remains me my impressions of OG Zenith and Athen, which were spectacular iems with stadium like staging on higher volumes😋

Oh, just switched to open back on Halcyon and the staging is OMG level :)
This Xinhs hybrid cable improves mid balance a lot. With closed back it is more v-shaped than original with a little overbearing on low base and some accent on mis-highs.
But with open back sound is way better balanced than stock cable. For my taste stock is too smooth with reduced presence in electrets region.
which XINHS cable is this?

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #8,496 of 18,115
Just had a moving experience listening to a hi-res recording of this with the DM, via FiiO M11 Pro. The purity of the cello was pretty much beyond words.

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #8,499 of 18,115
All the zeniths gone. I hope you enjoy em, i must admit I was highly impressed by em. It has been proving to be one of the most competent headphones I own
Wow that's a big statement from anyone but especially you my friend👍

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #8,500 of 18,115
*Fingers crossed* USPS says my ACE will be here tomorrow. I might even leave work early if I get the package notification :)
Nice. No update to mine since they started across the pond last week. Hoping to see them Friday-ish.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #8,501 of 18,115
At the moment the Dark Matter and the ACE are top of my pile. The Ozar is great but doesn't quite have the staging of the DM and Ace. The DM is a theatrical, loud, show off, of an IEM, totally different to the balanced but still exciting Ace. The Ace are perfect. The Zenith II are coming very soon, and will they stand up to the Robert De Niro of IEMs the DARK MATTER, or the Thierry Henry of IEMs, the IMR EDP ACE? Thanks to @jon parker and @AlexCBSN for stirring my Music Gland.
Edit
The Ace Planar driver is beginning to get the drum skin textures I love. For a 10mm Planar that is something. Can't get them out of my bloody ears!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #8,502 of 18,115
As the hours go on the Ace I can hear the 'texture' of the instruments, giving more realism hearing reverberations/resonance as strings are plucked and drums are hit, these give very good detail without distracting from the overall music. Soundstage is ok though not significantly wide, though this is after only about 20 hrs.

Does the DD purely handle bass and the planar mids/treble or is it a combination of both?

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #8,503 of 18,115
ACE received.
Pacckage is Always so complète.
20220808_120935.jpg

Fit is perfect, even if tips rolling is still in progress.:wink:
Now it's burning time...

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #8,505 of 18,115
As the hours go on the Ace I can hear the 'texture' of the instruments, giving more realism hearing reverberations/resonance as strings are plucked and drums are hit, these give very good detail without distracting from the overall music. Soundstage is ok though not significantly wide, though this is after only about 20 hrs.

Does the DD purely handle bass and the planar mids/treble or is it a combination of both?
Bob is known to use no crossovers which means each driver is operating at it's full frequency. He uses all kinds of Bob Acoustic Alchemy to tune the drivers to work in synergy with one another. The DD would be covering the majority of the bass duties but will be contributing to the mids and treble, just as the planar and BC will contribute across the spectrum but with each driver doing what it does best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back