Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #8,506 of 18,105
Super stocked to hear! Fit is by far the worst thing about the ones I have so far - glad Ace is better 👍
Agree with you.
I juste didn't use the standard IMR eartips, wich are not soft enough, for me ... And my ears :wink:

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #8,507 of 18,105
DDD35926-7989-427C-A4FF-F57A82E36D60.jpeg

My Ace have arrived safely thankfully. Playing around with the filters now to find something that suits but I am surprised at the level of effect they have. One negative is that none of my cables will fit so stuck with the ones that were included.

What are people's favorite combos for the filters?

145217EC-56AA-4C33-8042-E549887D37B8.jpeg

Hook X and Szalayi alongside for size comparison.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #8,508 of 18,105
Hook X and Szalayi alongside for size comparison.
Looking forward to your comparison. I was going to cancel Ace and buy the Szalayi. But in the end I guess Ace will be better 😃

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #8,509 of 18,105
Looking forward to your comparison. I was going to cancel Ace and buy the Szalayi. But in the end I guess Ace will be better 😃
I'll give Ace some hours first but initial impressions are that they are very different IEMs. Ace has a more aggressive tuning. Szalayi has smoother and more recessed mids vs Ace and much less energy in upper mids and treble. Szalayi is also more sub and mid-bass focussed as a result of the more recessed mids. I think Hook X and Szalayi would be a closer comparison. There are similar levels of bass on Ace with the black lower filter but it isn't the focus of the tuning.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #8,510 of 18,105
Once more I realized that what makes IMR stand out from the crowd is the tuning system.

Have a set of super comphy foams that unfortunately make everything sound like a mushed mess, so I never use them.

Tried with Halcyon, just for giggles. Yep, as expected: comphy, but unlistenable. Then I thought why not play with filters? And after some trial and error I pretty much "refiltered" the whole thing to sound almost identical to my favorite sonic tips. That's value right there!

Any other IEMs on the market that allow you to do that? Not that I know of. Normally it's the tips that you use to tune the IEMs, so you often have a choice: comfort or sound. With IMR it's now suddenly possible to have both. Magic. 🪄 🎩 And somehow I never thought of that before, with all my fit struggles - idiot! 😆

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #8,511 of 18,105
Just had a moving experience listening to a hi-res recording of this with the DM, via FiiO M11 Pro. The purity of the cello was pretty much beyond words.

Thx, which version exactly? There are quite a number of this out there? :)

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #8,512 of 18,105
Bob is known to use no crossovers which means each driver is operating at it's full frequency. He uses all kinds of Bob Acoustic Alchemy to tune the drivers to work in synergy with one another. The DD would be covering the majority of the bass duties but will be contributing to the mids and treble, just as the planar and BC will contribute across the spectrum but with each driver doing what it does best.
Sometimes I wonder about that. If sending the current across the whole drivers affects the amount of power each one receives. But I don't want to fiddle with that... yet... I need to learn how to solder...

Nevertheless I've been playing the dm again, each damn release it's so different and at the same time so similar. zenith II has more sub bass and fun mids with exquisite texture but dm still has it in soundstage, mids clarity and resolution. However both have the IMR signature, awesome bass (though zenith has more sub bass and a bit more quantity)

I'll give this week to the dm, I don't have 300+ hours on em yet, and I don't like to leave stuff just running for the sake of burn in. The only one I gave that treatment was the PB2 and it ended up in getting a new mesh which fixed the whole fq response.

The sound quality and ability to tune everything is what makes me keep coming and wait 6 months for a build =P it's worth it though.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #8,514 of 18,105
Thx, which version exactly? There are quite a number of this out there? :)
It was this version, just hi res via Amazon Music. Or at least the same performers. The album is "Cello Dreams."

Yes, plenty of recordings!

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #8,515 of 18,105

My Ace have arrived safely thankfully. Playing around with the filters now to find something that suits but I am surprised at the level of effect they have. One negative is that none of my cables will fit so stuck with the ones that were included.

What are people's favorite combos for the filters?

Hook X and Szalayi alongside for size compariso

Same here. I was more than a little intrigued with Oriolus offering and got close to pulling the trigger, but I just know that ACE will be full of that IMR secret sauce and I know that I LOVED the OG EDP but would have liked a bit more bass weight and bit more up top sparkle, so this will be the one. Still I am really curious what @armstrj2 has to say about the Szalayi.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #8,516 of 18,105
Same here. I was more than a little intrigued with Oriolus offering and got close to pulling the trigger, but I just know that ACE will be full of that IMR secret sauce and I know that I LOVED the OG EDP but would have liked a bit more bass weight and bit more up top sparkle, so this will be the one. Still I am really curious what @armstrj2 has to say about the Szalayi.
I didn't hear the og Ace but this new version certainly has plenty at the top and bottom end.

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #8,517 of 18,105
It was this version, just hi res via Amazon Music. Or at least the same performers. The album is "Cello Dreams."

Yes, plenty of recordings!
Ok Tidal and Qobuz unfortunately not in high res but still great.

jGSrUPn.png

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #8,519 of 18,105
EDP Ace out of customs, leaving Chicago. I’m hoping I am holding the Ace in my hands tomorrow!

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #8,520 of 18,105
EDP Ace out of customs, leaving Chicago. I’m hoping I am holding the Ace in my hands tomorrow!
Nice, mine reached San Bernadino (of all places) this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back