Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #556 of 18,128
@yiokuan i receive yesterday Penon Volt and highs is similar to Opus Mia, but mids are better, bass now is better on Opus Mia, but Volt sounds only 8hours.
I'd burn it and compare them...

Looking at the graph for Volt better mids could be related to the dip around that 6-8k region. Therefore, tonality could be slightly thinner at times translate into better imaging but I could be wrong with my interpretation of graph as our ears is still the best instrument to depict how it is delivered.
Opus Mia with my gears and cable on Black Nozzle blue filter gives me that thicker tone probably due to its decay or lingering factor on the bass region.
Do share the mids tonality when Volt is fully burnt.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #557 of 18,128
Volt mids are fuller and rich with a lot of details compare to Opus Mia that has thinner mids, maybe because Volt has 2 BA for mids and 2 EST for high-mids + 2 EST (as opus mia) for highs.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #558 of 18,128
Volt mids are fuller and rich with a lot of details compare to Opus Mia that has thinner mids, maybe because Volt has 2 BA for mids and 2 EST for high-mids + 2 EST (as opus mia) for highs.

I have yet to experience the Opus Mia, mine will arrive today. It will be interesting to compare with the TRI Starlights, 1DD, 2BA and 4 EST. I have a bit of burn-in to do to get a settled Opus Mia for comparison. What is clear is that you both seem to agree on the Aten driver bass being the better bass.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #559 of 18,128
I have yet to experience the Opus Mia, mine will arrive today. It will be interesting to compare with the TRI Starlights, 1DD, 2BA and 4 EST. I have a bit of burn-in to do to get a settled Opus Mia for comparison. What is clear is that you both seem to agree on the Aten driver bass being the better bass.

Please wait 150h and if you have a better cable use it, I used an SPC with Graphene
And Opus mia changed a lot.
Speaking with Bob (IMR) he decided to sell a SPC with Graphene cable ASAP.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #560 of 18,128
Please wait 150h and if you have a better cable use it, I used an SPC with Graphene
And Opus mia changed a lot.
Speaking with Bob (IMR) he decided to sell a SPC with Graphene cable ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up. What nozzle combination do you use on the Opus Mia?

On the Red I am currently using black base with gold filter. That gives me some seriously potent bass. I am not a bass head but I love it because the bass delivered is dependant on the track I play, so not "heavy bass tuning" but rather "heavy bass capable". I can play classical music and enjoy it and without changing earphones, I can enjoy some funk, because the other frequencies are not overwhelmed by the bass. I am looking forward to finding out what the Opus Mia can do.On the EDP I am using black on black.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #561 of 18,128
I use Blue nozzles with black filters, but i need to test more combinations with new cable that add clarity, transparency and body.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #562 of 18,128
Opus Mia
Only about half way into the break in period. I'm using the stock SE cable, for the break in. On one of my spot checks this morning, the left side had popped out, on it's own. First time that I've had this occur on any IEM. The re-seated cable appears to have a firm perch. I'll have to be more cognizant of the retention, when I switch to the balanced cable.

I would've preferred the finish on my pair (the inset) to more closely resemble the posted pics and images on the IMR website. But I bought these more so for my ears, than my eyes.

1603807688560.png

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #564 of 18,128
I can agree the stock IMR cables do not match the OM. While I did think the OM sounded good even with the stock copper cables, when I upgraded the cable to the Penon Leo Plus, the difference was big. I've been using these cables for over a month now and the sound stage was massively improved, the bass was more refined, the details were more apparent, and the mids and highs were more clear. The best way to put it is it was like a sheath was unveiled from the OM allowing it to fully perform. It was an improvement in every way over the stock cable. I highly recommend the Leo Plus because the gold and palladium that add to the silver makes the sub bass, bass, and mid bass delicious while the silver retains the clarity and soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #568 of 18,128
It doesn't , if any at all.
A $280 difference? Who knows. It did have a big improvement over the stock cables that's for sure. You bought the Penon Orb before, ask to demo one of their nicer cables. You can't really say it doesn't make a difference if you use $30 chifi cables which I've had and does nothing. Looking at your IEMs, none of them come with a quality cable so maybe it's time to try one out :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #569 of 18,128
I’ve had the triton 1960 cable, double helix clone fusion and silver and a bunch of other expensive cables. They didn’t make a difference.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #570 of 18,128
I’ve had the triton 1960 cable, double helix clone fusion and silver and a bunch of other expensive cables. They didn’t make a difference.
So you agree cables made from for example coppers or silvers do nothing sonically and there is no difference in them whatsoever. An OM driven from skullcandy cables will sound exactly the same? Interesting

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back