Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #587 of 18,081
In the laws of physics, different metals have different conductivities which add to the output impedance of the source. Which is why I believe different cables have different effects on drivers
This is true as well.
Changes in output impedance will alter the sound of a few IEM that has low impedance (Andromeda being an example). Changing from one DAP to another can alter the sound due to differences in output impedance. But a cable shouldn't change it that much unless it's a really long cable.
The IMR OM is not one of those IEMs that is affected by output impedance though since it's rated at 32ohms.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #588 of 18,081
This is true as well.
Changes in output impedance will alter the sound of a few IEM that has low impedance (Andromeda being an example). Changing from one DAP to another can alter the sound due to differences in output impedance. But a cable shouldn't change it that much unless it's a really long cable.
The IMR OM is not one of those IEMs that is affected by output impedance though since it's rated at 32ohms.
An IEM with more ohms require more power. Since I am not knowledgeable in this topic, can you explain why a 32ohm IEM would not be affected by output impedance?

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #589 of 18,081
Not sure about impedance, or really wht exactly makes the dirrerence. I supposed from what changes i have heard when moving from Forza Audio spc 4 wire to Plussound silver + gold 6 wire. Was a bit more control in bass and sparkle in treble with a noticable stage improvement.

But even then they are not changes to pull you hair out. Its nice to have as final touch to your iem set up. As already mentioned, tips are more effective way to alter sound.
At least judging from what few cables i had on iems.

But what really changed my mind was when i started playing around with can cables. Again very little experience in desktop gear but when i replaced cable on my Emus the chance in souns was significant. Maybe due to the fact that i use at least 3m cables not sure. But that was very unexpected.

So my take, just by trusting my ears, is that cable can affect sound.
Though id be just talking crap if i started explaining how cables work, as im really clueless.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #590 of 18,081
When the amplifier output impedance is high and closer to the transducer impedance it causes changes in the transducer frequency response. This is why you now see amplifiers shouting under 1 ohm output impedance as to say this amp will play your transducers exactly as they should do. This also happens through all the chain from device to device. Having a high output impedance can be used to your advantage too with high impedance headphones where voltage is needed rather than amps. That's as much as I know and I can't say anymore.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #591 of 18,081
An IEM with more ohms require more power. Since I am not knowledgeable in this topic, can you explain why a 32ohm IEM would not be affected by output impedance?
IEMs that use all BA drivers can have its frequency response changed (as noted by @NellieG above) when the output of the DAP to IEM is less than 1:8 ratio (example DAP outputs 3ohms while IEM is 10ohms). The andromeda is a good example where some users report having a lot of bass while others say it doesn't have any bass due to the DAPs they're using. Most andromeda owners will recommend a DAP that has less than 1ohm output.

With dynamic driver IEMs, the output doesn't affect the frequency response, as far as I know. And so with using different cables it shouldn't alter the sound.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #593 of 18,081
In the laws of physics, different metals have different conductivities which add to the output impedance of the source. Which is why I believe different cables have different effects on drivers

You're right. But for the impedance change of a cable to be significant for sound, we would have to be talking about cables many meters long.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #594 of 18,081
With dynamic driver IEMs, the output doesn't affect the frequency response, as far as I know. And so with using different cables it shouldn't alter the sound
I would actually want to try and test this.
There are plenty of desktop amps with silly output impedance. Ive went through many desktop gear threads lately and and full size HP forums,
And people seem to report changes in DD cans that are significantly bloating bass when switching to high impedance amps.
So not sure. All my gear is low output impedance.

I think someone who owns solaris. And could plug it into balanced out to Fiio m15 theoretically should start seeing some changes in bass.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #595 of 18,081
How about this, if someone feels that she/he would like to share impressions when using a new cable, that they do this in the respective cable thread, as this has not so much to do with the IEM itself. People interested in cables can look there to get informations about relevant cables for their IEM. In this case we would not drift here (and in lots of other threads) into these general discussions about cables (which I find quite strenuous, because it is all said about this topic).

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #596 of 18,081
How about this, if someone feels that she/he would like to share impressions when using a new cable, that they do this in the respective cable thread, as this has not so much to do with the IEM itself. People interested in cables can look there to get informations about relevant cables for their IEM. In this case we would not drift here (and in lots of other threads) into these general discussions about cables (which I find quite strenuous, because it is all said about this topic).
I second this. There is separate section on this forum for that sort of discussion and it should be kept there.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #598 of 18,081
To change the topic of cables, I am waiting for my Opus Mia, although I think they will not arrive until next week.

I just hope they are different from the Halcyons, because I never got used to their bloated bass, and had to sell them.

I've had the Zenith, Aten and Red, and none had the bass as bloated as the Halcyons. I hope the OM are different.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #599 of 18,081
That is what the bass filters are for, so you can tune the bass to your liking. If you are not so much into lots of bass, you should not try filters "above" purple. Silver and green gives you even less bass. Personally I switch between red and purple for bass.

Edit: I thought the driver configuration of the R3 Halcyons are the same as in the Opus Mia with primarily a new case design. So chances are not that high, that you will like the bass of the Opus Mia if your were not able to get a bass to your liking with the Halcyons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back