Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,896 of 17,974
Still finding it hard to explain/define what it is that the bone conduction adds, however it does add something, and its very very good.

We have to wait for the legend of a baller to show up who bought them all or an audiophile who owns Astra Ultraque and who is never satisfied and always searching and buying another thing and then they can compare the Astra Ultraque against the Opus Melius. Essentially the same ingredients minus the bone conduction and if Bob did anything else to tune them differently.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,897 of 17,974
Hia mate if you don't mind me asking what are your impressions on the FOCUS EDM? I have been eyeing it up for a while now but pulled the trigger on the B C! And I'm not having a great time with them at the moment! I think it might be a fit/seal issue but I'm getting better quantity & quality bass from my R1 Zenith,Aten & Opus Mia and i was hoping the B.C would wipe the floor with them when it comes to Bass! I'm not sure if there is something wrong or it really is a fit/seal issue? I must admit I'm a total Basshead and those FOCUS EDM are deff calling my name! How would you compare the B.C to the EDM? Is the Sub-bass just powerful or does it dig deep? If im not mistaken i think the EDM houses one of the biggest Diaphragm in an iem? Are they very technical or more of a fun tuning? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hey! Bc was like that at the beginning for me toco I felt it was bland in the bass department , focus edm has an amazing reach and detailed mid bass, mids are exquisite and treble extension is amazing, though bc has been opening up for me, I changed the cable though. As you say, zenith has better depth IMO but I think the aten driver needs a wee of burn in, right now I’m starting to get shakes and rumbles in tracks and the back bone is settling nicely

anyway, edm has an amazing depth and reach, the mid bass as I was saying has so much detail and tidiness in that aspect, though soundstage can be a tad small, it comes with a pair of long nozzle tips, and it definitely helps, imaging is impressive and it has an energetic top that makes for a nice holographic feel, I prefer them with long e horns and cp100’s that way the soundstage kinda expands.for the price (and aliexpress summer sale) I would totally get em, the guy that made em
Is an audiophile and the main principle and reason why I got them is cause the driver has the same architecture as the xelentos

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,898 of 17,974
We have to wait for the legend of a baller to show up who bought them all or an audiophile who owns Astra Ultraque and who is never satisfied and always searching and buying another thing and then they can compare the Astra Ultraque against the Opus Melius. Essentially the same ingredients minus the bone conduction and if Bob did anything else to tune them differently.
My Astras have been lost so I have to wait another week to get a fresh one made. ): Im very much looking forward to comparing Opus Mia against the Astra

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,899 of 17,974
Well, Unique Melody Mason FS (retails for 6k btw) has a full range and sophisticated bone conduction driver I hear and members here who have them say that it adds a sense of physicality to notes , so you can feel them somehow. One or two say it's revolutionary in some ways and is magical for acoustic , classical , jazz and those sort of music. I love to know if the same applies with these IMRs.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,900 of 17,974
Well, Unique Melody Mason FS (retails for 6k btw) has a full range and sophisticated bone conduction driver I hear and members here who have them say that it adds a sense of physicality to notes , so you can feel them somehow. One or two say it's revolutionary in some ways and is magical for acoustic , classical , jazz and those sort of music. I love to know if the same applies with these IMRs.
I can't speak for the UM Masons but I would say that the description you've used is accurate to me for the Elysium
There's a definite sense if feeling the music, now I would say I've always felt the music especially with certain headphones/earphones but this is different. Listening to a live recording now as I type and there's passages that just feel and sound different.
I can only describe it the same way I did in my first post one these and that is that it feels like your in the mix of the music, like it's around you as oppose to maybe being a few rows back.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #2,901 of 17,974
Bob custom tuned the Astra...whatever that means :)

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,902 of 17,974
I can't speak for the UM Masons but I would say that the description you've used is accurate to me for the Elysium
There's a definite sense if feeling the music, now I would say I've always felt the music especially with certain headphones/earphones but this is different. Listening to a live recording now as I type and there's passages that just feel and sound different.
I can only describe it the same way I did in my first post one these and that is that it feels like your in the mix of the music, like it's around you as oppose to maybe being a few rows back.
Really? that's good to hear, I hope it becomes available somehow, if someone cancels or something. I might just grab one.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #2,903 of 17,974
Hey! Bc was like that at the beginning for me toco I felt it was bland in the bass department , focus edm has an amazing reach and detailed mid bass, mids are exquisite and treble extension is amazing, though bc has been opening up for me, I changed the cable though. As you say, zenith has better depth IMO but I think the aten driver needs a wee of burn in, right now I’m starting to get shakes and rumbles in tracks and the back bone is settling nicely

anyway, edm has an amazing depth and reach, the mid bass as I was saying has so much detail and tidiness in that aspect, though soundstage can be a tad small, it comes with a pair of long nozzle tips, and it definitely helps, imaging is impressive and it has an energetic top that makes for a nice holographic feel, I prefer them with long e horns and cp100’s that way the soundstage kinda expands.for the price (and aliexpress summer sale) I would totally get em, the guy that made em
Is an audiophile and the main principle and reason why I got them is cause the driver has the same architecture as the xelentos
I defiantly think I'm have tip/seal issues because i plugged it into my Apogee Duet in the studio and still not getting the expected bass! Also, the mids sound a bit scooped & distant! Maybe im spoiled with the Star's in the Opus Mia? On the plus side i did play play Keans first Album and did actually hear some things in audible before which is a feat considering the huge detail retrieval from the Sonion Star's in the OM. I'm gonna take your advice and pick up some of those tips and do a bit if B.C Tip rolling and fingers crossed it will sort out the fit/seal? I'm a bit biased at the moment because i just Recieved my first pair of CIEM the LEAR LCM-Kalideo and iv NEVER had fit & isolation like it, its incredible and will 99.9% relegate most of my IMR'S to inside use! Sorry I'm going on a bit now but, I'm in the market for a new cable and wondered if youv tried any different cable's with B.C? I've been eyeing up the Dunu DUW02 with the Quick Lock system in the Aliexpress sale but am also really intrigued by these graphen cable's?

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,904 of 17,974
I am a very basshead too. And I find the BC very bassy. I am very conquered. But I have changed the stock IMR tips that I find too smooth in the bass region for the sedna azla xlastec that teightens the middle basses. I use the blue/red filter combination. I am surprised that you fond the BC not bassy!!??
Hia mate, yeah like i said AlexCBSN im 99% sure its the tips/seal? I'm gonna pick up some new tips includinf the xlastec as u also advised👍
How would u describe the FOCUS EDM to a well sealed B.C? Is it worth having both or does the B.C make it pretty redundant?

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,905 of 17,974
Hia mate, yeah like i said AlexCBSN im 99% sure its the tips/seal? I'm gonna pick up some new tips includinf the xlastec as u also advised👍
How would u describe the FOCUS EDM to a well sealed B.C? Is it worth having both or does the B.C make it pretty redundant?
I Recomend a lot DUNU stock tips, the ones that come with the 2001/ 3001 or deep mount radius, both of em are PERFECT seal, xelastecs are fun but the width of the opening its not my cup of tea, ymmv

the focus has a bit more detail in the bass departmnet and a bit more bite in the mid highs / treble, it never gets harsh and it adds some fun to the mix, i really think its a iem worth having, bass doesnt get congested and has a particular natural decay. i always think "will i sell this or keep it?" and for me the EDM is a keeper, in the soundstage department i think it can get fixed with some eq or some sort of filter that "clears" a bit the mid highs, it happened with the zenith (though the zenith for me was a brutal mess in the 3k/ 4k area) lowering that area opened up the soundstage and made em almost full speaker soundstage for me.

as i said before, im biased by DD (i just purchased from a friend the UM 3dt and im eager to hear them) but nevertheless the Focus is truly worth it, for its price its a good complement to the BC since it has a more lively emphasis

on another topic, ive been playing with the EDP+ and maybe its that ive been swinging left and right at work and havent got proper time to spend listening music, but DAMN! they are something, bass is super fast, not bass head level but it can reach low, planar its doing its thing, burn in has a long way ahead but it definietly its having fun, playing from a just adquired oppo ha 2, the sound is velvety and with a nice layering, bob has a magic touch on planars.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,906 of 17,974
I defiantly think I'm have tip/seal issues because i plugged it into my Apogee Duet in the studio and still not getting the expected bass! Also, the mids sound a bit scooped & distant! Maybe im spoiled with the Star's in the Opus Mia? On the plus side i did play play Keans first Album and did actually hear some things in audible before which is a feat considering the huge detail retrieval from the Sonion Star's in the OM. I'm gonna take your advice and pick up some of those tips and do a bit if B.C Tip rolling and fingers crossed it will sort out the fit/seal? I'm a bit biased at the moment because i just Recieved my first pair of CIEM the LEAR LCM-Kalideo and iv NEVER had fit & isolation like it, its incredible and will 99.9% relegate most of my IMR'S to inside use! Sorry I'm going on a bit now but, I'm in the market for a new cable and wondered if youv tried any different cable's with B.C? I've been eyeing up the Dunu DUW02 with the Quick Lock system in the Aliexpress sale but am also really intrigued by these graphen cable's?
If ergonomics and comfort is your priority Dunu cable is the better choice ,it's very light and thin and it has the modules that need to be ordered separately for DUW02. The graphene that I have is ver heavy and chunky ,so it's not ideal for moving around. For sound I can’t help you as they are the same for me.

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,907 of 17,974
I have the elysium.

First impression on blue/red with stock 4.4 mm cable.

It is very warm/dark. For the moment I can't use it with my warmer shanling m8, too warm/dark. The middle basse hits dark with more controle than aten driver. It has subb basses but it seems a little bit less than BC. It has more weight. Voices are a little bit distant with more echoes. About bone conductor, I don't know!! I can't hear it specially. I will make more tests. It has less harshness than BC, it's smoother on the middle. And it seems less large.

It's time now for burn in.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,908 of 17,974
I hope you will find the good combination for you. And sorry I don't know the FOCUS EDM. Cannot help you more, sorry.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #2,910 of 17,974
I have only 3 faces plates for elysium. It means it cannot be used on open port?
No-where does it say it offers an open back port ?
But yeah, now I look, you're right, there isnt an open back - Maybe it just didn't really work with the tuning?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back