Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #17,971 of 18,086
An artist that I like to listen to with my Enigma+ is Baila Nova. You have complex instruments, vocals...Don't hesitate to listen to her albums in Tidal
1714322775799.png

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #17,972 of 18,086
I've just listened to the track on Tidal with my Enigmas on my ifi stack (ifi Stream and zen dac v2). I found it to be very sibilant and a very bright track. Definately not an issue with the Enigma.
Thank you all for giving it a try.

That track does sound sibilant with other IEMs I've tried also. But to put it this way, some ameliorate the issue and some don't. My enigma are of the second variety for the time being. Listening to some genres I enjoy I would prefer them to develop a bit of smoothness around 8-9kz over time.

One IEM I find exceptional as treble is concerned is Sennheiser ie 400pro which I own. (I suspect the same is the case with the rest of the ie line). There is beautiful extension and separation going on in that area of frequencies.
Now I am not expecting Enigma to achieve that since their focus is elsewhere but I am sure with a bit of burn in, at least some of the harshness in some kymbals and consonants will be tamed.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #17,973 of 18,086
Can anybody confirm if they have tried their Enigma (either verison) agianst other supposed TOTL earphones?

The reason I ask is that when I first started my own journey with IMR I found that the value to sound ratio meant that they often competed with earphones well above their price range however by the time I got to Dark Matter my opinion had changed a little. Still a great earphone but no longer punching above their price range. This of course is just my own personal feelings on these.

What I'm wondering is if whether at full price the Enigma are on a par with say Sony IEr Z1r which when new retailed for around the same price or whether they transcend these and match those at a higher level.
Of course this is diffucult to fully gauge as some earphones at a high price will not laways justify the price being charged.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #17,974 of 18,086
Can anybody confirm if they have tried their Enigma (either verison) agianst other supposed TOTL earphones?

The reason I ask is that when I first started my own journey with IMR I found that the value to sound ratio meant that they often competed with earphones well above their price range however by the time I got to Dark Matter my opinion had changed a little. Still a great earphone but no longer punching above their price range. This of course is just my own personal feelings on these.

What I'm wondering is if whether at full price the Enigma are on a par with say Sony IEr Z1r which when new retailed for around the same price or whether they transcend these and match those at a higher level.
Of course this is diffucult to fully gauge as some earphones at a high price will not laways justify the price being charged.
In my case, Enigma+ and Thie Audio V16 are both comparable.
Overall /bass / musicality Enigma+ has an edge , but in terms of detail and separation v16 wins.
I dont think ill need to buy anything for a while.
I'd like a nice cable for the Enigma though

How does the fibae 7 compare with Enigma+ ?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #17,975 of 18,086
Overall /bass / musicality Enigma+ has an edge , but in terms of detail and separation v16 wins.

I've not bought the Enigma (Yet!) but close to doing so,

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #17,976 of 18,086

If you are looking for a cable for you Enigma, Penon Asos is very good

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #17,979 of 18,086
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #17,980 of 18,086
My friends with Enigmas please listen to the following and commend on Michael Jackson 's 's' sounds.
https://tidal.com/track/1781887?u

Just a quick review to see if it's my unit, the song or my sensitive ears.
Yes this track is slightly sibilant on Enigma+.
Try the Qobuzz version it is less sibilant.
But then I expect mj s high pitch to be slightly sibilant.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #17,981 of 18,086

Some one here has already done the 1 er zr comparison in great detail.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #17,982 of 18,086
Thanx I'll try some of that. But I suspect it is a burn in issue as another friend suggested to me.
In any case, having returned recently from Roadburn Music Festival and have the feeling of live experience still thumbing through my bones, I would say that Enigma is the closest any IEM I had, to replicate that feeling.
For example, bass tones feel separate as being produced by a separate agent, be that a bass player on stage or a drone from an electronic setting. This is very special indeed.
Titan is different and while in my opinion tops Enigma in some areas, cannot compete with it's liveliness and weight.
Switched to black lowers on the Enigma+.
The bass and sub bass levels are just insane.
Feels like bass has increased considerably after some burn in.
Used to find the bass slightly bloated before but it seems better now

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #17,983 of 18,086
If bass frequencies do not resonate in painful way like the case was with ACE before burn in, I prefer to let bass flow as it is with the black filters. Especially with Enigma the effect is so realistic in terms of being in a live venue of sorts and I wouldn't like to curb that. I love it as it is, unapologetic, thick but also elaborate BASS.
The otherworldly thing about it, is that it doesn't feel to spill into the mids.
Bass is there demarcated in it's sonic space, midrange is separate a lively, intimate, 'clean' experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back