IMR Acoustics EDP (Every Day Planar)
Oct 4, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #541 of 698
Something magical happened with my EDP. After the last bit of filter tinkering I did there was a period when it sounded just awful, flat. Then, a few days ago everything changed and the sound that comes out of it is just so unreal that I'm not even looking at any other IEM in my collection.

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #542 of 698
Something magical happened with my EDP. After the last bit of filter tinkering I did there was a period when it sounded just awful, flat. Then, a few days ago everything changed and the sound that comes out of it is just so unreal that I'm not even looking at any other IEM in my collection.
I'm with you on that. I've got about 400 hours on mine now and I'm convinced that the EDPs have continued to improve. Treble and cymbal strikes in particular are absolutely sublime. I spent the day A / B ing with my RAH's and I actually prefer the EDP. Don't get me wrong, I love the RAH. they do extend further up the high frequencies and are "crisper" and they reach much lower but these EDPs are no slouch and they are so "listenable". That titanium DD has got plenty of depth and texture and vocals (both male & female) are luscious perfection. Guitars and strings are so emotional and exciting as the recording intends. I've got other IEMs that are maybe more technical or perhaps more detailed but these are so balanced and satisfying. This is one set I'll never sell. Oh, I finally found a permanent fix for the occasional wind noise that can enter from the vent hole. I opened them up and put a small piece of micropore medical tape over the hole from the inside. This allows them to breath but cuts the wind (which only happens when the wind is gusting into your direction).

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #543 of 698
I'm with you on that. I've got about 400 hours on mine now and I'm convinced that the EDPs have continued to improve. Treble and cymbal strikes in particular are absolutely sublime. I spent the day A / B ing with my RAH's and I actually prefer the EDP. Don't get me wrong, I love the RAH. they do extend further up the high frequencies and are "crisper" and they reach much lower but these EDPs are no slouch and they are so "listenable". That titanium DD has got plenty of depth and texture and vocals (both male & female) are luscious perfection. Guitars and strings are so emotional and exciting as the recording intends. I've got other IEMs that are maybe more technical or perhaps more detailed but these are so balanced and satisfying. This is one set I'll never sell. Oh, I finally found a permanent fix for the occasional wind noise that can enter from the vent hole. I opened them up and put a small piece of micropore medical tape over the hole from the inside. This allows them to breath but cuts the wind (which only happens when the wind is gusting into your direction).

Same happened here. I was unhappy about EDP treble rendition but after more than 200 hours of listening all is changed and my new impressions are quite exactly as you write. I can only add one further personal evaluation: drum kit rendition is S P E C T A C U L A R. Cymbals are velveted, present and never harsh, kick is ok and snare is dry, but my delight are toms, if the recording is good during listening i can virtually feel the vibration of their heads. Bellissimo... Me too prefere EDPs over my RAHs. Less than 200€ IEM? Naaa, impossible...😄 Now i'm waiting for new PB2, i hope they'll have same sound quality with more extension on trble zone due to electrostatic driver. End of the game for me?

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #544 of 698
but my delight are toms, if the recording is good during listening i can virtually feel the vibration of their heads.

I said the same, the last time I heard Toms sound this present and resonant was when I used to play in a band so being in the same room. I had always assumed that a lot of mixers EQ toms tightly to prevent clashing with kick drum etc, reducing them to a fairly indistinguishable 'accent' sound. I was amazed to listen to albums I know well and hear these resonant toms in the mix.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #545 of 698
I said the same, the last time I heard Toms sound this present and resonant was when I used to play in a band so being in the same room. I had always assumed that a lot of mixers EQ toms tightly to prevent clashing with kick drum etc, reducing them to a fairly indistinguishable 'accent' sound. I was amazed to listen to albums I know well and hear these resonant toms in the mix.

About toms and kicks. Maybe, but IMHO snares are more affected than toms by interferences with kick drum. But the important thing for me is.... EDP is a very good sounding IEM; Q/P unbelievable.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #546 of 698
About toms and kicks. Maybe, but IMHO snares are more affected than toms by interferences with kick drum. But the important thing for me is.... EDP is a very good sounding IEM; Q/P unbelievable.
I need to send a note to Bob and tell him, just how good these EDPs are. I think the expectation on all sides (including Bob's) is that they will improve up to about 160 hours and peak there but I can confidently say they just get better and better. The treble has come much more forward as the hours have gone by. Like I said a few posts ago, mine are over 400 hours now and I really am stunned by how good they are. I was listening to Porcupine Tree last night and the depth & texture coming from the Drum kit and bass is impressive to say the least and the upper frequencies from things like cymbals literally just dance and shimmer in the upper and lower corners of the stage. The imaging has improved along with everything else.. Mine have probably peaked now, but for any of you out there with less the 200 hours on them, keep burning and enjoying.... you'll be rewarded. These EDPS are the best audio deal I've seen anywhere.

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #547 of 698
I need to send a note to Bob and tell him, just how good these EDPs are. I think the expectation on all sides (including Bob's) is that they will improve up to about 160 hours and peak there but I can confidently say they just get better and better. The treble has come much more forward as the hours have gone by. Like I said a few posts ago, mine are over 400 hours now and I really am stunned by how good they are. I was listening to Porcupine Tree last night and the depth & texture coming from the Drum kit and bass is impressive to say the least and the upper frequencies from things like cymbals literally just dance and shimmer in the upper and lower corners of the stage. The imaging has improved along with everything else.. Mine have probably peaked now, but for any of you out there with less the 200 hours on them, keep burning and enjoying.... you'll be rewarded. These EDPS are the best audio deal I've seen anywhere.

I agree with you. At the beginning of burn in i was alternating EDP and Tapes (good IEM for the price). My opinion was: bass no winner, vocals EDP sligthly better, treble better on Tapes. Now, after more than 200 hours of burn-in there's no match; EDP to my ears sounds better than Tapes in every sound parameter.Ending, Tapes are good/very good iems but EDPs are a.......miracle. Can't wait to listen to PB2.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #548 of 698
Silly me. I just realized that there are upper and lower filters on the EDP. I've just been using black on black all this time. I swapped the upper black for red and think I like it a little better. Prefer some sparkle up top with low end slam. Anyone have any other suggested combinations to try?

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #549 of 698
Red nozzle with blue filter is my go-to on EDP and AT5.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #550 of 698
Silly me. I just realized that there are upper and lower filters on the EDP. I've just been using black on black all this time. I swapped the upper black for red and think I like it a little better. Prefer some sparkle up top with low end slam. Anyone have any other suggested combinations to try?
Black Bottom + Blue Top. I like the red, but blue is completely unrestricted.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #551 of 698

Black nozzle/blue filter Symbio peels tips. Solid basses, detailed vocals, non fatiguing and silky trebles.....

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #552 of 698
It's official, EDP loves Xelastec. Isolation to same level as foam, Deep bass, crystal clear, luscious mids (strings and vocals are incredible) nice extension in the treble..... and comfortable, while sitting a little more flush into the ear. I really like the Sednas but these Xelastecs are the bomb.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #553 of 698
I am in awe of my EDPs, I wear them with purple bottom and blue top. With sony tips. Waiting for the xelastec ...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #554 of 698
I am in awe of my EDPs, I wear them with purple bottom and blue top. With sony tips. Waiting for the xelastec ...
How many hours have you got them. I'm certain mine continued improving past 150 hour up to about 400 hours. I've rotated through many IEMs but I'll never sell the EDPs.
Yes, there are many others from the the IMR range that extend higher, but these EDPs are just so pleasing, non fatiguing and easy to listen to.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #555 of 698
How many hours have you got them. I'm certain mine continued improving past 150 hour up to about 400 hours. I've rotated through many IEMs but I'll never sell the EDPs.
Yes, there are many others from the the IMR range that extend higher, but these EDPs are just so pleasing, non fatiguing and easy to listen to.

The truth is that I have not measured the hours of use, but they will be above 400 hours.
From my modest collection of IEMs they are not the ones I like the most but they are the ones that will never leave that collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back