Impressions on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
Dec 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #16 of 40
Wow... looks very sparse. I'm not an electronics wiz, but I assume it's designed that way so the EM fields from the different components don't interfere with each other and taint the sound???

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #17 of 40
Upgraded my HPA with HRT Streamer II+ and Wireworld ultraviole cable. The first thing that struck me was how much higher the sound is. Earlier I turned my volume to 11-12 o'clock now it is sufficient in most cases at 9-10. S sound is more rounded and more comfortable to Listen to. The bass and treble got a major upgrade, firmer and more details and so the mids. A clear improvement over the built-in dac.

Streamer II+ I have connected via a powered USB hub to avoid interruptions.

Happy new year!

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #20 of 40
Does anyone have a loaning program on one of these beasts yet?

Nope, but I do have one for sale :wink: and it is a beast, drives the LCD-2 like a train with tons of refinement.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547143/fs-musical-fidelity-m1-hpa-uk

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
Upgraded my HPA with HRT Streamer II+ and Wireworld ultraviole cable. The first thing that struck me was how much higher the sound is. Earlier I turned my volume to 11-12 o'clock now it is sufficient in most cases at 9-10. S sound is more rounded and more comfortable to Listen to. The bass and treble got a major upgrade, firmer and more details and so the mids. A clear improvement over the built-in dac.

Streamer II+ I have connected via a powered USB hub to avoid interruptions.

Happy new year!

You've just put my mind at ease. I ordered a HRT II+ today hoping to improve the DAC. I almost got the pro, but I don't have a balanced setup and the II+ was on sale. I also have some 24/96 audio which I later found out was not supported with the M1 HPA. (That was just me being dumb using DirectSound by mistake).

I'm still using a kimber cable (Ag) and I ordered a pair of Audioquest King Cobra interconnects between the HRT II+ and M1. Strangely I recently tried the Benchmark DAC1 USB, but I really didn't like the sound. It sounded sterile to me... For sure I could hear a lot more detail, but I felt like an audio technician listening to my music. It's a personal thing of course, but it wasn't for me.

May 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #22 of 40
the gut pic of this thing looks like the typical cheap stuff inside a lowwer priced mf product. yet performs surprisingly well. like the xcan. i don't know how they do it. must be voodoo. at first glance i did not even think it had a power transformer! i am not bashing it because i have not heard it. it does get glowing reviews and i am not surprised. they seem to muster up darn good sound with sparse inexpensive components. i can't wait until someone mods this with better caps,diodes,resistors etc. should be killer. btw, anyone know what opamps/transistors are in this? appears to be a feedback loop,no?

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 40
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 40
I just got the M1 HPA today and have been toying around it. First impression was stunning. It totally floored me when I connect this to my AlgoRyhythm solo to LCD-2. The bass was deep thunderous tight, treble sparkle & the best part was the mid. The vocal was superbly clear, you can hear every breath, the fingers sliding of the guitar strings and was pretty forward. Background completely silent. There was only a very very slight hiss when I turn the volume all the way up to the end.

I came to know about this gem when I was auditioning the LCD-2 at one of the local audio dealer here. He was connecting this to the new Chord Red Reference Mk III CD Player (easily $25,000 cd player). He say this is a good match for LCD-2... indeed it was. I took the LCD-2 home within 10 mins of demo. I then bought the LYR tube amp hoping that I could get a similar sound but was disappointed when connected to the SOLO dac. There was not much differences compare to connecting directly to the SOLO dac. There are diff of course but need some effort to tell them apart.  (makes no mistake the LYR is very good though). I knew it was the Cd player.. or maybe not as the owner keep praising about that M1 amp.  so I thought I will give the M1 HPA a shot (since it was used in the demo)  and boom I am smiling all over right now. This is a sound that could match his $35,000 speaker minus some sound stage and the real impact of a physical speaker's powerful bass. Now I can hear a big diff between connecting directly to solo dac and with the M1 HPA amp. No effort needed to tell the diff (like cassette and CD diff in the 90s). Everything becomes very clear, bass deeper and had superb impact ...sound stage also improve. Vol is very balance across all levels and the knob feels very smooth and I like the size.

I just ordered W4S Dac-2 to see if I can at least attain something closer. I will let you all know soon.

I seriously wonder why this amp is not popular here..

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #27 of 40
I think these amps are hotter in Europe. This forum is more america influenced. I will have to check if I may be able to acquire one because this is one of the few amps that I don´t have to import :)

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #28 of 40

Quote:
Looks pretty plain jane.

I like the spaced apart look to it.  It only looks like that because it's spaced out, it's only spaced out to give it cleaner sound.  Not a bad philosophy.  Most amp makers would try to scrunch everything together and connect the parts with this wire and that wire.  What I really want to know is, what's regulating the power?  

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 40
I use the HPA's preamp to connect to active speakers, source fed by an M2Tech Young DAC. Extremely quiet and neutral but not in a sterile way. I've since switched to the Schiit Lyr due to space constraints (for my computer) and prefer the M1 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back