Impressions on the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
Oct 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #31 of 40
I don't have any experience with higher end amps, but this is the amp through which I demo'd the LCD-2 at a local hi-fi shop. I found it to be quite impressive. It gave the LCD-2 tons of slam and impact, while producing a rich, liquid midrange. I had a portable set up with me (iPod --> Fiio E11), so I wanted to see how the LCD-2 would fare on that, just for giggles. When I did, I noticed a huge drop in sound quality. It still sounded similar, but much more thin and lifeless in comparison. The lost impact and soundstage depth were the most apparent things that dropped out. 

I've been waiting for the Schiit Bifrost DAC to come out before making a final decision on an amp/DAC upgrade. Although my LCD sounds quite fine through my vintage receiver or Fiio E9, it doesn't quite wow me the same way it did through the M1 HPA. Now, I'm really torn between this amp, Schiit Bifrost+Lyr combo or the Burson 160DS -- all of which are pretty much the same price.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #32 of 40
Here's one opinion, at one point in time...  I own both the MF HPA-1 & M1DAC.  I use them (along with a MF V-link, Nordost Blue Heaven USB & Hiemdall I/C's) as a dedicated headphone system.  Music (FLAC mostly) comes from a Windows machine.

I really like the HPA-1.  I think it sounds great, detailed and fast, a little bit on the warm side (which I like) with good bottom end control.  Frankly, I think it's a very good value (as is the M1DAC).  

While I would never recommend buying an audio product without hearing it first, I admit that I did just that with these MF pieces.  I've heard enough MF components over the years to have an idea of the voicing so I took a chance.  Boy, am I glad I did.  I am quite pleased with the HPA-1. I'd recommend it to any of my friends (along with a good DAC of course)

Currently I'm using a pair of Grado 325i's and am just waiting for my Grado PS500 headphones to get here.

May the best source be with you.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
Here's one opinion, at one point in time...  I own both the MF HPA-1 & M1DAC.  I use them (along with a MF V-link, Nordost Blue Heaven USB & Hiemdall I/C's) as a dedicated headphone system.  Music (FLAC mostly) comes from a Windows machine.

I really like the HPA-1.  I think it sounds great, detailed and fast, a little bit on the warm side (which I like) with good bottom end control.  Frankly, I think it's a very good value (as is the M1DAC).  

While I would never recommend buying an audio product without hearing it first, I admit that I did just that with these MF pieces.  I've heard enough MF components over the years to have an idea of the voicing so I took a chance.  Boy, am I glad I did.  I am quite pleased with the HPA-1. I'd recommend it to any of my friends (along with a good DAC of course)

Currently I'm using a pair of Grado 325i's and am just waiting for my Grado PS500 headphones to get here.

May the best source be with you.

I listened to the PS500 via the M1 HPA. If you haven't received your PS500 yet I can tell you that you'll be in for a treat 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #34 of 40
I have a X-Can V8 right now. Do I need the M1 HPA?  Is it better than my V8?

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #36 of 40
From what I can see, it's using paired output transistors and despite the large PC board, there's not much going inside there. Power filtration will probably be insuffiecient and in this case a good quality external filtration and power cord will make a difference. According to the manufacturer, it should have the output impedance of 1 Ohm which, if correct, is good news for low impedance headphone users. With Denon AH-D5000 with an impedance of 25 Ohm at 1kHz it should translate to a damping factor of 25 which is plenty and more than sufficient for the amplifier to be fully controlling the voice-coils excursions. The problem is the manufacturer did not specify exactly just how they were able to lower the input impedance so much. Given the really skinny filter stage, it is only logical to conclude it was done implementing a massive amount of negative feedback which is not so good despite the manufacturers claim otherwise. It would not be a problem if it didn't affect frequency response and create low level distortion. Solid state amplifiers are more tolerant to this however so I won't make such a big deal out of it.

The USB input is a nice feature though it is only limited to 16bit/48kz and synchronous data stream transfer. It's good for starters but you might wanna look into some other options at a later date.

Considering how much amps of this class go for nowadays I think this is actually a decent value for money. The lack of a gain switch is the advantage because obviously the manufacturer is pretty self-assured it can work with low impedance headphones with ease and provide enough current/voltage for both low and high impedance headphones without changing the operational points of the amp's design. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 40
I now own the M1 HPA and find the sound very similar to the V8.  I am listening on Beyer T1 through the HPA as I type this and I am loving the sound.  Plenty of gain.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #38 of 40
No doubt, the amp with these specs will be far from clipping with 600 Ohm headphones like the T1. How's the channel balance on low level listening?

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #39 of 40
From what I'm hearing I want one now...

Big big MF fan....

J

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Took a naked picture of my M1 HPA today.
I'm not a expert in components but hopefully someone can comment on whats inside.

Marry Christmas!

Hi-Res http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5511/dsc7658copy.jpg

I See Huge HeatSinks for the Pure Class-A that they claim to use and 2 Huge transistors mounted per channel.
As far as i see, the components are quite standard unless you can take a photo of the transistor or capacitor models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back