[Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price.
Aug 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #331 of 636
What did you do?!

Btw x3 now available in Australia!

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #334 of 636
I ordered my X3 today. Should be through in a couple of days.

Anyone knows how it couples with the JH16 Pros? Everyone keeps saying the X3s are on the warmer side, and because the JH16s are already warm, Im a little worried???

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #335 of 636
Haven't went thru this whole thread...
 ... anyone do a serious SOUND-QUALITY compare with T51/S:Flo2?
My T51 is modded with x3's similar AD8397, but the T51 has two Wolfson WM8740 DACs. That T51 sounds quite a bit better than stock, and I got the AD8397 as a free sample from AD, and I can solder :wink: Anyway, the x3 seems to have other things going for it ... like a more-modern (better?) decoder/DSP ... again, I'm only interested in sonics.

How do Fiio devices do in terms of reliability -- both short-term and long-term? One huge issue with Teclast/Nationite has been DAPs that die quickly. That really sucks as you lose your files, too. 
Note that reliability is different from durability.

Thx for any info you can provide!

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #336 of 636
Quote:
We will make the X3 become the best DAP in music format support ability......

I have just received my X3 and I have to say I am quite bummed that having my music in ALAC format, I can't have the unit identifying and displaying NONE of the information that comes within the files (Artist, Album, Song, Cover Illustration, Genre, etc...)
Is there any intention to address this in a future firmware version?

Thank you,

ePS - oh, and btw, this question is addressed to anyone on the forum knowing anything about this matter. Thank you in advance chaps.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #337 of 636
Quote:

I have just received my X3 and I have to say I am quite bummed that having my music in ALAC format, I can't have the unit identifying and displaying NONE of the information that comes within the files (Artist, Album, Song, Cover Illustration, Genre, etc...)
Is there any intention to address this in a future firmware version?

Thank you,

ePS - oh, and btw, this question is addressed to anyone on the forum knowing anything about this matter. Thank you in advance chaps.

They already announced they are working to support metadata on ALAC.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #338 of 636
Quote:
Here's the mod thread you guys:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669830/fiio-x3-mod-ad8397-to-ad8620

As I thought the X3 has a warm op amp burried in there... :/ hopfully Fiio will release an AD 8620 version or the iBass DX50 will have an equally neutral op amp! 

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #340 of 636
Quote:
just a quick question do you guys think the Fiio E12 pair with X3 would bring any significant different in SQ?

it's been reported that the E12 is a little colder with it's sound [assuming you have bass boost off] which makes it pair really well with the X3

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #342 of 636
Quote:
I ordered my X3 today. Should be through in a couple of days.

Anyone knows how it couples with the JH16 Pros? Everyone keeps saying the X3s are on the warmer side, and because the JH16s are already warm, Im a little worried???

I think the JH 16 pro has a weird over extended bass unless it is paired with the time-phase WaveGuide JH-3A Amplifier.  This combination sound great, but I had to send my JH 3a amp back to have the volume adjusted lower.  For this reason some people prefer the JH13 that will work with other amps.

While I'm waiting to get my JH16 & JHA3 back, I've been using the X3 with some inexpensive Kos in-ear headphones.  I adjusted the bass up and the treble lower on the X3.  I'm very impressed with the tight clean controls on the X3.  The sound quality on the inexpensive earbuds is very impressive.  I think the X3 will pair nicely with any of the higher-end ear monitors.  Maybe no need to go crazy on expensive custom IEMs. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #343 of 636
Quote:
I think the JH 16 pro has a weird over extended bass unless it is paired with the time-phase WaveGuide JH-3A Amplifier.  This combination sound great, but I had to send my JH 3a amp back to have the volume adjusted lower.  For this reason some people prefer the JH13 that will work with other amps.

While I'm waiting to get my JH16 & JHA3 back, I've been using the X3 with some inexpensive Kos in-ear headphones.  I adjusted the bass up and the treble lower on the X3.  I'm very impressed with the tight clean controls on the X3.  The sound quality on the inexpensive earbuds is very impressive.  I think the X3 will pair nicely with any of the higher-end ear monitors.  Maybe no need to go crazy on expensive custom IEMs. 

So far, in my personal experience the X3 has not been overly bass heavy. I've been generally using them with my Soundmagic E30s. At this moment in time (Im still waiting for my JH16s), the sound although slightly more detailed, crisp and louder compared to iphone 5, isnt anything to write home about. (And yes, Ive been using FLAC). I'm hoping that the JH16's paired with it will unlock the potential of it and it will be an even better listening experience. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #344 of 636
Quote:
Hi Rico, I do not have JH3a...

I am in the process of setting up a portable fully balanced system.... a bit of overkill...

I use X3 as the source transport and connect to ibasso DB2 using a custom Coaxial cable from Jaben Hong Kong that cost me around 135usd... Please let me know if the MA coaxial is better because I have some issues with 24/192 files and I cannot be sure if it is caused by DB2 or the cable itself...

I am now ordering from MA a mini cable to connect from DB 2 6 pin Hirose to RSA intruder 4pin jack..

I am also waiting the iem cable with RSA 4 pin jack mod from Cadence cables in Singapore.. Sean @ Cadence has been extremely helpful to help me to achieve this setup..

So far adding the DB2 in the chain using single ended has already added subtle improvement on the sound detail.. the instrument separation seems to be better... I read in head fi that there is another mod that helps u to reduce the warmness in X3 by changing the opamp...

I need to ask my frd to let me do some AB on AK120 after all the cables arrive...

Did you notice any significant improvement in sound quality when you bypassed the internal DAC of Fiio X3 by using iBasso DB2? I mean the sound stage, separation, clarity, detail, thickness, bass...etc?

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #345 of 636
Quote:
Did you notice any significant improvement in sound quality when you bypassed the internal DAC of Fiio X3 by using iBasso DB2? I mean the sound stage, separation, clarity, detail, thickness, bass...etc?

Hi boombobby289, i am just a casual consumer and will do some simple AB testing this weekend if time allows... I think it is a lot of hard work to understand the terms you mentioned. So far, I can say that the sound becomes more clean and clear when using this setup over X3 alone. It becomes more neutral and less "digital"... If we have to quantify the improvement, I think less than 10% and only if you listen with full attention...but I dont know if it is caused by intruder or db2... intruder is super good amp too... I usually flipped thru magazine and web browsing when listening to music bcos it is enjoyment time but bad sound will distract me... So far, I do not get distraction with this setup from noticing not clean sound...
I am only picking up this hobby this year and I realize that if you upgrade your iem, you will pick up the bad from your source and you will want to improve the source... after you improve the source, you will want to see what other iem can offer for different type of music... it is an endless loop... I m so far satisfied with this setup and will try different iem if spending money allows... 
(on a side note, the possibility that centrance m8-lx will support coaxial input may make me want to put aside money for trying different setup) hope you will find the setup u enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back