[Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price.
Sep 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #616 of 636
  I don't understand "the not enough power" either.

Perhaps not enough power isn't the right phrasing but not as much as I was expecting.   It just doesn't seem to drive headphones much harder than my iPhone and for the Q701s to start opening up some I have to crank the volume above 100 and it's just not that clean at that point.  
Granted the Q701s aren't really what I would consider ideal portable headphones so that's no necessarily a deal breaker.   I expect there will be more than enough juice to power the Rockets when they come in I was just expecting a bit more power based on the listed specs.  And like I said, it easy drives the Momentums and ATHes
I'll play around with high gain more but when I first tried it it seemed to introduce a decent amount of noise.
Overall I'm happy with the way the unit sounds and I expect I'll end up keeping it until the Geek Wave comes along and I can see if it's a better fit for me.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #617 of 636
Ok,  after spending more time with High Gain mode I take back my statement in regards to power.  In High I can indeed drive the Q701s adequately without having to push the volume past 100. 
So really the only shortcoming would be the UI itself.  It's not so bad that it can't be worked with but it's definitely a bit slow and Playlist support would be a most welcome addition.
But all in all it's a perfectly fine DAP for $170.  And easily warrants a 4/5, perhaps even 4.5.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #618 of 636
With AKG's Q701 having an impedance of only 62ohms the X3 should be able to drive them to deafening levels. iPhones have roughly 1V output compared to the X3's 3V.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #619 of 636
On paper the q701s are easy to drive but for me they definitely sound better the more power you throw at them. In high gain mode I can reach uncofoable levels but nothing I would call deafening. In low gain mode maxing the volume reaches about what I consider normal listening volumes, perhaps a bit over.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #620 of 636
With AKG's Q701 having an impedance of only 62ohms the X3 should be able to drive them to deafening levels. iPhones have roughly 1V output compared to the X3's 3V.

Q701 need 60% more voltage than HD650 (300ohms) to get the same SPL, low impedance doesn't necessarily mean high voltage sensitivity.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #621 of 636
On paper the q701s are easy to drive but for me they definitely sound better the more power you throw at them. In high gain mode I can reach uncofoable levels but nothing I would call deafening. In low gain mode maxing the volume reaches about what I consider normal listening volumes, perhaps a bit over.

Akg specifically needs a respectable amount of current .. Not voltage to be driven properly ... The powerful current will be responsible for properly driven headphones and that is why you see a high voltage and good specified amps and players fail to drive Q\K701because it needs more current ... More voltage will drive it loudly ( specially in midrange and treble)not properly

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #622 of 636
Akg specifically needs a respectable amount of current .. Not voltage to be driven properly ... The powerful current will be responsible for properly driven headphones and that is why you see a high voltage and good specified amps and players fail to drive Q\K701because it needs more current ... More voltage will drive it loudly ( specially in midrange and treble)not properly

Glad to know it's not just my imagination.  While I've reached a happy middle ground using the Q701s with the X3 it's definitely nowhere near the same as running through my cheap tube headphone amp or the Geek 720.  

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #623 of 636
doh wrong again. Interesting design of headphone though, Presumably the mW output is a more reliable indicator of a players ability to drive headphones.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #624 of 636
doh wrong again. Interesting design of headphone though, Presumably the mW output is a more reliable indicator of a players ability to drive headphones.

That's OK, I was probably a bit trigger happy myself in claiming that the X3 wasn't as powerful as I expected and didn't really push the Q720s any harder than the iPhone because that' definitely not the case.

While it's true that it doesn't drive them with quite the same authority as my Project Sunrise tube amp or Geek Out 720 it definitely does a much better job at driving them than the iPhone/iPod.  And for a fully functional DAP that costs under $200 (with a 64 GB card) and fits comfortably in a pocket I'd say it does a bang up job.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #625 of 636
I'm certainly liking what I'm reading about the X3 (I'm a bit over halfway thru the thread)
Does the X3 have any balance (right/left) control? (Edited - I've found that it does have balance control) My ears don't hear equally well and a little boost on the left side he's a lot.
Thanks for all the great posts in here!
BG

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #626 of 636
I'm certainly liking what I'm reading about the X3 (I'm a bit over halfway thru the thread)

This thread or the The Fiio X3 Thread, 12392 posts ATM
eek.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #627 of 636
Got my X3 about a week ago. It came with firmware version 3.2 installed.
Loaded up with a 64gb card full of hdttacks downloads and CD rips in flac.
This is the best portable sound I've ever heard. It makes even my low-end gear sound good to these ears. The sound from the headphone out is rich and warm. Running from the line-out, thru a little cmoy amp from jds gives a bit brighter sound. I like it both ways. So far, the X3 has driven everything I've plugged in to it to satisfying volumes.
The UI is a bit clunky, for sure, but I'm getting more used to it.
The biggest downside so far? It keeps me up listening to music far too late.
I'm a happy camper.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #629 of 636
Got my X3 about a week ago. It came with firmware version 3.2 installed.
Loaded up with a 64gb card full of hdttacks downloads and CD rips in flac.
This is the best portable sound I've ever heard. It makes even my low-end gear sound good to these ears. The sound from the headphone out is rich and warm. Running from the line-out, thru a little cmoy amp from jds gives a bit brighter sound. I like it both ways. So far, the X3 has driven everything I've plugged in to it to satisfying volumes.
The UI is a bit clunky, for sure, but I'm getting more used to it.
The biggest downside so far? It keeps me up listening to music far too late.
I'm a happy camper.

Try the new firmware, it has equalizer function as well as true gapless and after a long wait Playlist support.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #630 of 636
hi
 i ve installed and test  FW beta 3.24  with eq function  ,   for UI ,  it s more fluid in files transition ( ( dsd  more faster), EQ is gadget  BUT  i find  it less dynamic , flat sound response !!!! so i ve reinstalled    fw3.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back