imperfections on HD600 driver?
Jun 6, 2006 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TempleOfEar

Banned
hi, i just received my hd600 that i bought from ebay for $212. seeing how cheap it was New, i didn't bother to ask any questions. but now i'm thinking may i should have. cuz when i took out the earpads to inspect the drivers i saw that there was a rather noticeble nail mark on one of the clear driver cover- the mark is about 2 millimeters and it just looks like someone touched it with a finger nail. and the black silk cover for both drivers are not perfectly straight but has some stretchings to them here and there. I'd like to know if these imperfections are common and has a noticeble effect on sound quality.

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 6
I may be incorrect about this.. but I used to be excessively paranoid about my drivers, but now I think that unless you can hear any obvious damage then it's probably all okay. This may be untrue though and there may be subtle things that I haven't noticed. Can anyone comment on this?

I dented the driver of my headphones and expected it to sound crap, but it didn't make any noticable difference

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Just like was said in the K340 disaster thread, if it sounds good, they're fine. I think if you actually damaged the drivers in any significant way, it would sound noticably horrible.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Just like was said in the K340 disaster thread, if it sounds good, they're fine. I think if you actually damaged the drivers in any significant way, it would sound noticably horrible.

This really is something reassuring to know. I cant count the amount of times I've done something not perfect (not realsied how loud my amp is, dropped my alessandros, had a bit of distorion, etc etc etc) and for the next few hours I keep thinking that I can hear distortion and my phones are ruined. And then, without exception, I come to the realise that they in fact sound as great as they did before.

It's nice to know that small things aren't bit by bit making our phones sound worse

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
This really is something reassuring to know. I cant count the amount of times I've done something not perfect (not realsied how loud my amp is, dropped my alessandros, had a bit of distorion, etc etc etc) and for the next few hours I keep thinking that I can hear distortion and my phones are ruined. And then, without exception, I come to the realise that they in fact sound as great as they did before.

It's nice to know that small things aren't bit by bit making our phones sound worse

I like to call this the 'panic placebo'. It's happened to me a lot when I accidentally blast myself with extremely loud music, usually after messing with the volume before realizing the tape out on my preamp was set on a different input than I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back