Impedance Adapters/Cables | Explained & Listed
Nov 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #91 of 157
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion
smile.gif

For the purpose of solely reducing volume, do you think this item would be suitable?
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/281009593372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I am using a different headphone than an Etymotic though

I don't recommend the adapters made by "wemakeamp." They had bad build quality, sometimes the channels were imbalanced, there was static, or the sound collapsed into mono. Look for the ones made by the eBay seller "awwan." They are more expensive, but I never had any issues like that with them.

It doesn't matter, Etymotic or not.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #92 of 157
Thank you for your advise
smile.gif

Quote:

I don't recommend the adapters made by "wemakeamp." They had bad build quality, sometimes the channels were imbalanced, there was static, or the sound collapsed into mono. Look for the ones made by the eBay seller "awwan." They are more expensive, but I never had any issues like that with them.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #93 of 157
Quote:
Sound may change, no way to tell other than trying (at $11 what's to lose?), but it'll definitely lower volume. Read the previous answer again, it still applies to your question. Except that you probably need to exchange fax with faux. It's mentioned in the topic start :wink:

I got one like those (well, the other one in the start post as I thought it looked nicer) at 120Ω and the volume really is significantly lower.

facepalm... yes - my dumb spelling.

The faux adapter will avoid the impedance mismatch, and drop the volume. :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #94 of 157
Quote:

I can also vouch for the adapters made by "awwan", everything I've bought from that seller has been above-board and high-quality, with no issues.

May 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #95 of 157
I have an xonar stx on order and have creative aurvana live 32ohm headphones and I dont have the skill to make one of the faux impedance adapters, I wondered if adding a splitter and attaching an extra set of headphones would deal/help with the impedance problem? or would I just be making things worse and adding impedance to the stx output from the headphones perspective.

sorry in advance for my noob ness lol

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #97 of 157
Bumping this for a question.

I use low impedance (26 Ohm) IEMs with Focusrite 2i4 (output impedance 12 Ohm) and I'm looking to increase this damping factor without buying a new amp. I read the whole thread and I'm still not clear if these impedance adapters effectively increase damping factor or not?

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #98 of 157
Hi all,

thanks for the list. My laptop comes with a built-in amp (no, seriously...), and it is unusable with pretty much all IEMs I own due to constant hissing noise.

I am looking to reduce it using an impedance adapter. My IEMs are 32 Ohm, I tried 250 Ohm headphones and the noise is almost gone.
So I would like to purchase a 100+ Ohm adapter (mini-to-mini).

One requirement, though. It has to be either cabled, or right angled. Ultimate Ears one would work (from the table), but I cannot seem to be able to find it for sale anywhere... But other options are also welcome.

Would anyone care to help? It would be much appreciated, thanks.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #102 of 157
Sure mate.

It works perfectly fine, but not too great for sound quality. It acts as if to increase the amps output resistance and makes headphones seem darker / muddier / more closed in. This is especially true of the lower impedance ones i've got and say with a T1 it's much less pronounced. 

None of this is surprising at all btw as this is how it's meant to work. Basically it does it's job perfectly!

It's quite big though (physically big I mean). I'll post a picture when I get home so you can see.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #104 of 157
Can anybody please let me know if this UE airline signal attenuation adapter supplied with UE900 is actually a regular impedance adapter?

Here is why I'm asking.  I have Hidizs AP100 DAP with a high level of HO (2.2Vrms).  When paired up with ZA Carbo Doppio (12 ohm and a whooping 113 dB/mW sensitivity) it produces a  high level of white noise when idle (not even playing music).  I guess it's expected with high level signal output and high sensitivity IEMs.  I just used my UE900 airline adapter, which supposed to attenuate the signal, and BOOM! problem solved.  I assume it's nothing but impedance adapter that works like a voltage divider to cut down output level of the source.  So, I want to confirm if you guys know the spec of it?  I want to find a more elegant solution with a slim 3.5mm adapter and trying to figure out what to look for; UE above is a rather big dongle.  I remember at the beginning of the thread, it was mentioned about UE 100ohm adapter.  Is that the one?  Any suggestions or links are welcome!

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #105 of 157
As far as I know, the UE adapter is indeed just a 100ohm adapter and nothing more (*not a voltage divider). So basically you just added 100ohm more to the AP100's output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back