iMod Vcap dock & PORTABLE Vcap Dock - Info and Talk Soup
Dec 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #271 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...connect your CDP to your ALO dock, then output the dock to a turned off amp if so desired.

Thanks guys,

That will save me a lot of charging sessions of the iMod (and the Amp).

Dec 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #272 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that since there is no alternative to the V-Cap dock yet, there is no way to know which cap is the best. If we could AB side by side Audio note dock and V-Cap dock that would be really helpful.

An Auricap portable dock is coming.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #273 of 328
I have a question.
Would the iMod work if you connected it like this?
iMod on ALO iPod Fidelity Docking Station ---> Mini to Mini ---> ALO Portable V-Cap Dock ---> RCA to RCA ---> Home Headphone Amp?

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #274 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question.
Would the iMod work if you connected it like this?
iMod on ALO iPod Fidelity Docking Station ---> Mini to Mini ---> ALO Portable V-Cap Dock ---> RCA to RCA ---> Home Headphone Amp?

Technically, it may, but it is a large risk of damaging the Fidelity docking station and would also likely degrade the quality noticeably. I would get someone to make a cheap regular iPod LOD for your case. The iMod is not really safely compatible with accessories that use the LineOut for sound after the modification.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #275 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically, it may, but it is a large risk of damaging the Fidelity docking station and would also likely degrade the quality noticeably. I would get someone to make a cheap regular iPod LOD for your case. The iMod is not really safely compatible with accessories that use the LineOut for sound after the modification.

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #277 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the average burn-in time for the vcaps ?

for OIMPS, i would guess at 400-500hrs approx
i know my teflon and OIMP v-cap is going to need more, circa 800hrs maybe to settle.

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #278 of 328
What kind of changes will one hear after the vcap has had some burn in?

I only have about 1 hour on mine (ALO portable vcap) so far - just wondering what sort of changes I can expect?

So far quite happy - the vcap seems to add a wider soundstage than just the Imod by itself. I am still very new to both though.

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #279 of 328
Better bass definition, and more overall transparency.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #281 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken,

Any chance of these (se portable vcap dock): RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting being available again or where they a one off deal?

Quaddy, I notice your er4's are recabled, was that a apuresound job and what diff in sq does it make?

Cheers

not wanting to answer for ken, but simply trying to help out before or if he replies...

the teflon vcaps you link to (BTW thats my rapidshare folder with my pics
biggrin.gif
) were a limited edition run of teflon and oimp v-caps in parallel. red with hardwired connectors and RCA. ken did state that the reasoning they were and are no longer available as VHAUDIO an eminent manufacturer of caps, ceased making/sourcing the small TFTF's (teflon caps) and they have now increased/being made in much larger sizes, which would render their inclusion in a relatively small enclosure and mixed environment with comparatively large oil caps prohibitive for most peoples idea of a small form factor.

yes the ety recable was apuresound, alex did a great job yet again after me pestering him for all sorts magical custom specifics.

IMHO the difference they make can be seen here, linked to for the sake of expedience.

from a recent PM i sent in reply to a similar question;

"the recable is great in terms of physicality and sound.

like all things 'audiophile' i think the improvements that are spoken of are always meant to be taken in a low level context, meaning they are highlighted and amplified for the purpose of explaining and detailing differences in conversation.

i have described the recable as various things, all good, but i am a sterility freak, i cant get enough detail and resolvement. bass need not apply in my household. i like it cold and accurate and this is why i have the etys in the first place, but wanted to further this with the genius in the craftmanship of not using a spliced cable as etymotic do, this inherently lessens and degrades the signal received at a low level IMO.

the apuresound cable is a non-spliced affair and is technically superior to the stock cable and this shows in its enhanced brightness and depth, i feel, placebo or not, that i get a greater field of sound, a 'soundstage' if you will. some have said they think the sparkly ety house sound is removed with the recable, i disagree. but as always its down to the ears and the equipment used.

there is a good review here by socrates on the recable. and others can be found by nc8000 who was an early adopter of the ety er4x recable"

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #283 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Ive read through most of this thread but didn't catch Ken saying the manufacturers were not making them in the same size/availability.

Thanks for the links, much appreciated

mybad, perhaps it isnt mentioned in this thread, must have been in a pm or email or alike

no problem, i see you have an iqube, very nice from what i am lead to believe!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #284 of 328
Yeah, I received the iqube the same day I received the tomahawk, which is a shame actually as I wish (perhaps strangely) that the iqube hadn't of arrived for another couple of weeks so I could try and build a relationship with the tomahawk, but after listening to the iqube, well, the tomahawk doesn't stand a chance lol

I have no idea about precisely conveying how sounds "sound" via the medium of language lol but the iqube sounds lush and full and just utterly adept at what it does with ZERO distortion, noise or grain.

Even with my limited experience of audio equipment, I can appreciate right of the bat, the iqube is a bit special.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #285 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for OIMPS, i would guess at 400-500hrs approx
i know my teflon and OIMP v-cap is going to need more, circa 800hrs maybe to settle.

Dang.. that's some major burn-in time. I guess I gotta get these vcaps burn-in 24hrs a day :)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back