iMod Vcap dock & PORTABLE Vcap Dock - Info and Talk Soup
Dec 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #256 of 328
I've been on the proverbial iMod/ALO fence for the past couple weeks and the portable v-cap sounds like a great way to go. My two elusive questions are how to charge and sync post-iMod.

Sounds like digiheads tip would let me charge using an existing iPod dock, or I could go the custom charger route (w/ an ALO standalone option in the works).

Could I use the digihead method to synch tunes via USB as well? If not, how would one accomplish this on an iMod? The RWA warning "Do NOT use any other dock cable..." has got me concerned about the USB connectivity.

I've gone through numerous threads and can't seem to find an answer to this (presumably) common question.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #257 of 328
The iMod only changes the sound quality through hardware, not the software. You would sync and play it just like any other iPod. Of course, you can't play AND sync at the same time, because of the data being changed on the hard drive that needs to be read to be played. You can always charge and play at the same time though.

You'll get the iPod manual with the iMod, it can explain how to do all of this.

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #258 of 328
Cool. Thanks a ton manaox2 for clearing that up.

Just a couple more dents to the wallet and I'll start hibernating. Well at least in theory
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #259 of 328
Finally received the much anticipated special edition teflon/v-cap dock today, after customs and parcelforce holding onto it since the 14th and charging me the equivalent of $200 for the pleasure of that week + wait.

the dock came very well wrapped in a larger than needed box to give adequate outer shell protection for its long trip and was packed with different sorts of protection in and around the unit to pad out the inner space and afford nice bouncy protection inside.

the unit was sealed in a see through bag to size with bubble wrap around this.
i sliced it open and found the unit to be very well presented in its build, neat, compact, and solid as a rock to hold and look at. the metallic red is a nice colour and the silver engraving looks good as a contrast, engraved on the back of the unit is the number of the edition, 3 in my case.

i havent added any pictures as of yet as i havent had it long in my posession and have visitors here now, but stole away to write this mini basic review, i have managed to listen to it for only about 15mins, playing some W.A.S.P, interpol, and herbie hancock, the cables on this unit are a great length and are plyable enough to fit your situation i would think. all nicely proportioned.

and overall this smacks of quality build!

i have yet to peek under the hood and flash you my teflons, but this will occur when you are least expecting it (see footnote)

hooking it up to my video imod and supermicro IV, with grado 325i's i was instantly, within its first few seconds of use, playing hands away by interpol (flac3), the tonal clarity was astonishing compared even with a nearly fully burnt in standard EFN v-cap muscle cap dock (OIMP - 8.0uF), the spacial sound and imaging is a step up already, with very upfront presentation, but whilst maintaining a smooth as butter airy feel.

this worried me somewhat, as i was always under the impression that teflon caps, apart from there mammoth burn in requirements, actually sounded pretty icky until settled in, i dont just mean, not sounding their best, again it is written that they actually sound overtly bad until burn it, making for a non-pleasant experience on the way, well in this case it is not evident at all, whether this is because this is a hybrid dock with the OIMPS doing the main driving then passing off to the teflons for refinement at the back, could be!

living in the unfortunate U.K (referring to the customs imposed) which added nearly $200USD to the cost, meaning a grand total of $1050 for the ALO se dock.

IMHO this is still worthwhile, ok, i know i am likely to say that anyway, to rationalize a large expenditure, but if it wasnt worth it i wouldnt be writing this mini-review, while i have waiting guests upstairs sipping sherry!

it is worth every penny and the instant differentials i can hear from the standard V-cap are apparent! the imod upscaled beautifully and constatly amazes me as to the quality of the DAC and workmanship in, so a dual nod to apple and Vinnie at RWA, there still feels like room for manouvre too in this imod, maybe a pure tefllon solution? haha
rolleyes.gif

will add pics when i can, most likely when i add it to photos of your portable rig, as an update.

this made my christmas, even though it wasnt a christmas present - cheers Ken
wink.gif

[size=small]ADDENDUM[/size]

vcapus atlastus photographus
click here for dock based eye candy

edit: uploaded some photos rather hastily, terrible looking some of them, sorry, am no photographer. some look like virtual dupes, and the focus and the flash are random!
redface.gif
, i was just clicking away.

innards wise, its a very tight fit and everything is as optimal, and lean as you could get in there. good job ken, tiny little 0.1uf teflons in parallel with 4.7uf OIMPS.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #260 of 328
Good deal, I definitely want to see under the hood. I'm sure some people hate guesses, but maybe the Teflon caps come first in the line (which would make sense for added clarity and imaging) before the OIMP which accounts for why it doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard. Keep that thing burning in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #261 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good deal, I definitely want to see under the hood. I'm sure some people hate guesses, but maybe the Teflon caps come first in the line (which would make sense for added clarity and imaging) before the OIMP which accounts for why it doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard. Keep that thing burning in!
smily_headphones1.gif

am just in the process of getting some photos up! not very good ones. but photos nonetheless

i am pretty sure OIMPS are in the driving seat, teflons back seat passenger, ken seconded that motion on a previous post of mine. but it matters not.

all that does matter is these sound amazing already and cannot wait for the combined settling in of the 4 caps and the jena cables in turn.

@Ken - thanks for the email regarding opening her up, naughtily i had already done so, but had roughly the same common sense and thoughts as prescribed, i have plenty of hands on with similar delicate innards and treat it with kid gloves, it is indeed a tight fit with the teflons, some gentle coaxing back they went, but i like to express it more as a well tailored made to measure fit
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #262 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am just in the process of getting some photos up! not very good ones. but photos nonetheless

i am pretty sure OIMPS are in the driving seat, teflons back seat passenger, ken seconded that motion on a previous post of mine. but it matters not.

all that does matter is these sound amazing already and cannot wait for the combined settling in of the 4 caps and the jena cables in turn.

@Ken - thanks for the email regarding opening her up, naughtily i had already done so, but had roughly the same common sense and thoughts as prescribed, i have plenty of hands on with similar delicate innards and treat it with kid gloves, it is indeed a tight fit with the teflons, some gentle coaxing back they went, but i like to express it more as a well tailored made to measure fit
wink.gif

Your right, I guess the smaller capacitors would probably not handle the line current properly and possibly dangerously. I need a nap.

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #266 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the V-caps produce any heat while in use?

no, with the actual ALO vcaps, obviously they are in housings, the EFN v-cap muscle dock was often in my hand, the actual OIMP caps against my palm, whilst going through the menus etc, and it was never anything other than a normal temp, neither warm, and neither cool.

the current in use is so low that it wont register to the touch.

Dec 24, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #267 of 328
Just got my V-Cap dock yesterday (the classic one, not the Teflon enhanced).
Although a lot of listeners here are raving over these on listening right out of the box, I tried to get my expectations low, because my previous Cyro X Silver dock sounded pretty bad right out of the box. It took some time before it could even compete with the Sony D25s I used for years as my portable listening. At some point I suspected that maybe I got an inferior dock by mistake, which wasn't the case. Only after 3 months of using it (by rough calculation of using it twice a day on commuting, plus 50 hours intentional burn-in and more hours of home listening - after about 200 hours), it started sounding really wonderful.

Well, the V-Cap dock sounds much better out of the box than the Cyro X Silver dock with black gates used to sound.
If I compare it with how the Cyro X Silver dock sounds now, the V-Cap has more detail and separation (I could hear Rosalyn Tureck breathing and moving in her chair while playing Goldberg Variations), warmer and fuller sound, and deeper Bass. So deep, that I could listen to my ER4s without Xin supermacro's bass booster (On second thought, let's put that bass booster back).
The only drawbacks when comparing with the fully burnt in black gates, are that the V-Cap punch is slower, and the highs are less apparent. With the Cyro X Silver dock, the highs were very harsh at the beginning, but became very smooth and clear lately. with the V-Cap, the highs are getting lost a bit in the warmth and deep bass. About the slower punch, I think Ken said somewhere that the V-Cap are slower, so maybe this won't improve with burn-in.
I have great expectations for this dock, after it'll burn-in properly.

A Question about burn-in:
Can I use a Cd Player hooked to the V-Cap dock mini, in order to burn them in, instead of the iMod?
Also, can I just hook the line-out to a turned off amplifier, or do I need to turn it on and have my headphones hooked to it?

Thanks,
Meir.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #268 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by is2us /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my V-Cap dock yesterday (the classic one, not the Teflon enhanced).
Although a lot of listeners here are raving over these on listening right out of the box, I tried to get my expectations low, because my previous Cyro X Silver dock sounded pretty bad right out of the box. It took some time before it could even compete with the Sony D25s I used for years as my portable listening. At some point I suspected that maybe I got an inferior dock by mistake, which wasn't the case. Only after 3 months of using it (by rough calculation of using it twice a day on commuting, plus 50 hours intentional burn-in and more hours of home listening - after about 200 hours), it started sounding really wonderful.

Well, the V-Cap dock sounds much better out of the box than the Cyro X Silver dock with black gates used to sound.
If I compare it with how the Cyro X Silver dock sounds now, the V-Cap has more detail and separation (I could hear Rosalyn Tureck breathing and moving in her chair while playing Goldberg Variations), warmer and fuller sound, and deeper Bass. So deep, that I could listen to my ER4s without Xin supermacro's bass booster (On second thought, let's put that bass booster back).
The only drawbacks when comparing with the fully burnt in black gates, are that the V-Cap punch is slower, and the highs are less apparent. With the Cyro X Silver dock, the highs were very harsh at the beginning, but became very smooth and clear lately. with the V-Cap, the highs are getting lost a bit in the warmth and deep bass. About the slower punch, I think Ken said somewhere that the V-Cap are slower, so maybe this won't improve with burn-in.
I have great expectations for this dock, after it'll burn-in properly.

Can I use a Cd Player hooked to the V-Cap dock mini, in order to burn them in, instead of the iMod?
Also, can I just hook the line-out to a turned off amplifier, or do I need to turn it on and have my headphones hooked to it?

Thanks,
Meir.

You can burn them in with a cd player I think, it may take a little longer though. What you are hearing now is only a small taste of what you hear later, Its going to tighten up a lot and add detail. I don't know much about cryo cable burn-in, but these take a serious 250 hours. No argument about it.

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #269 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i am lead to believe is that v-caps, are second only to audio note caps and provide the very best at what they do, if i had to guess which would sound better, my answer would be the special edition v-cap --> standard v-cap and then thirdly the auricap fidelity you mention.

I think that since there is no alternative to the V-Cap dock yet, there is no way to know which cap is the best. If we could AB side by side Audio note dock and V-Cap dock that would be really helpful.

Take a look at this interesting review:

Capacitors: Sonicap vs. V-Cap OIMP vs. Multicap Vs. Mundorf on 10 Audio

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #270 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by is2us /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks,
Meir.

a cd player will do, basically anything which creates a load for the dock to process.

AFAIK, please correct me if i am wrong - the output load however, doesnt need to be turned on, just the input (CD) to allow for electrical current to flow through, so connect your CDP to your ALO dock, then output the dock to a turned off amp if so desired.

headphones are not required to be connected in the equation.

congrats on getting the dock, and enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back