iMac > ????? > HD 650
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 26
I'm going to second the Dragonfly as I prefer it over the O2/ODAC combo. But even though Lyr stretches the budget,
it's quite worth it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
I'm going to second the Dragonfly as I prefer it over the O2/ODAC combo. But even though Lyr stretches the budget,
it's quite worth it.

What are the differences between the Dragonfly and O2/DAC in sound quality. 

The Lyr is a little high indeed, if I were to get the Lyr now I would probably be 6 months to a year without a dac. I'm not sure how that affects the decisions. Thought I think I might just get the cheaper dac/amp combo and wait a year until I can make a bigger purchase. 

Edit: Do you guys think it would be worth waiting a month with just the E5 and then getting the Sciit Lyr.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
What are the differences between the Dragonfly and O2/DAC in sound quality. 

The Lyr is a little high indeed, if I were to get the Lyr now I would probably be 6 months to a year without a dac. I'm not sure how that affects the decisions. Thought I think I might just get the cheaper dac/amp combo and wait a year until I can make a bigger purchase. 

Edit: Do you guys think it would be worth waiting a month with just the E5 and then getting the Sciit Lyr.

For me the O2/ODAC may provide the best overall value. However I personally found them too fatiguing. YMMV, of course.

Just because we may recommend Lyr, doesn't mean something such as the O2/ODAC or Dragonfly combo wouldn't be enjoyable for you. It all depends on preference and a budget
to take into consideration.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
For me the O2/ODAC may provide the best overall value. However I personally found them too fatiguing. YMMV, of course.

Just because we may recommend Lyr, doesn't mean something such as the O2/ODAC or Dragonfly combo wouldn't be enjoyable for you. It all depends on preference and a budget
to take into consideration.

Well said.
smile.gif

Since the OP mentioned a budget of $250, I suggested the DF to provide great SQ now and allow some time to plan his next DAC/Amp purchase.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 26
Ya, I understand what you are saying. It's all really preference.

The only thing right now is I don't have a preference so far. This will be my first step into owning a proper dac and amp and these are going to be my first proper headphones.
I don't want to get something that will leaving me want for something more. I have trouble with impulse buying especially with gadgets :p.

I just have seen so many recommendations for the Schiit Lyr, though I think all those who recommended the amp probably have a proper
DAC to go with it.

That Dragonfly is pretty interesting, it's something very portable though I would be afraid of it being underpowered?
This would be so much easier if there was a definitive answer :p

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
Ya, I understand what you are saying. It's all really preference.

The only thing right now is I don't have a preference so far. This will be my first step into owning a proper dac and amp and these are going to be my first proper headphones.
I don't want to get something that will leaving me want for something more. I have trouble with impulse buying especially with gadgets :p.

I just have seen so many recommendations for the Schiit Lyr, though I think all those who recommended the amp probably have a proper
DAC to go with it.

That Dragonfly is pretty interesting, it's something very portable though I would be afraid of it being underpowered?
This would be so much easier if there was a definitive answer :p

As long as you're happy with the tone of the HD650, you'll be fine. Headphones are always most important when building up a rig.
Again it comes down to preference, some believe source is more important than an amp and vice versa.

Also, don't kid yourself, you may want to skip everything and go straight to what you perceive as the top, but there's always something else.
Do what you can for now. Meaning, if you can find enjoyment with the E5 for now, then use it, save for the Lyr or w.e. else you're considering.

I'd also be mindful of expectations, as to not be let down. It's not not night and day. And gear while important is overstated in importance.

So my advice evaluate the sound you're hearing, if you can enjoy it, then please do, in the meanwhile, save up for what you want.

And to answer your question, the Dragonfly isn't underpowered. It's quite fine. And nope, there's absolutely no definite answer,
nor a consensus or anything relative. It's all up to your taste, brain and ears.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 26
I've changed my mind so often, I'm thinking I might just go for the Schiit Asgard now and then purchase the Schiit Bifrost. Then sometime in the future, when I want to delve into the world of tube amps I'll sell the Asgard and go for the Lyr.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

I think the E5 is a great (little) amplifier. If you want something more expensive, and can't buy right away, it's a good start. I bought one to use with my new HD 650's while waiting for an amp to arrive from China.

(Personally, I'd buy the O2+ODAC.)

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 26
Well I ended up deciding on the O2/ODAC, just couldn't take such a big leap to the Asgard. Maybe in the future when it is easier to find in Canada. Should have my O2/ODAC sometimes next week can't wait to hear the difference. Coming out directly from my iMac the headphones sound rather weak.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #25 of 26
Just received the O2/ODAC and they sound great together. Thanks for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back