iMac > ????? > HD 650
Oct 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Insilin1i

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, and they should be here this weekend. The problem is the only amp I have on hand is a Fiio E5.

I've scoured the forums, through search, and I now know that there are a lot of different recommendations. Though I found a lot of the threads did centre around some
portability which is not something I need.

I was looking in purchasing a DAC/AMP to power them and saw that a lot of people recommended these (~$250):
Tubemagic D1
Fiio e17/e09 combo
O2/ODAC combo

Though I also found people talking highly of a desktop amplifier called Schiit Lyr, and was also wondering if maybe it would be a better option to purchase an amplifier now and then down the road purchasing a dac? Would I notice a big difference between having a DAC or just using the AMP directly from my mac?

I'm looking to spend around $250 as of now since I just purchased the headphones.

Side Note: I'm very new to the whole idea of a DAC and AMP so any extra information would be helpful.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 26
What I mean by the Lyr was that would it be better for me to stretch by budget by a bit now and then stick with just an amp for a while and then purchase the dac portion of the setup. Or would I notice little difference between getting the O2 + ODAC and a Lyr and DAC component later on.

I kinda of what to semi skip getting the inexpensive equipment because I'll end up having to upgrade anyway. Or would the O2/ODAC satisfy me for a good while?

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 26
NFB-12.1 should be considered as well if you want something with more inputs than O2+ODAC combo .

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
What I mean by the Lyr was that would it be better for me to stretch by budget by a bit now and then stick with just an amp for a while and then purchase the dac portion of the setup. Or would I notice little difference between getting the O2 + ODAC and a Lyr and DAC component later on.

I kinda of what to semi skip getting the inexpensive equipment because I'll end up having to upgrade anyway. Or would the O2/ODAC satisfy me for a good while?

Heya,

Inexpensive doesn't mean less quality. It comes down to your preference of synergy between the components.

Very best,

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 26
Is the O2/ODAC combo something I could be happy with for a year or more with the HD650. I just can't afford to be upgrading equipment as often as some people on here :p, I wish I could though. That Schiit Lyr looks awfully tempting. 

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:
Is the O2/ODAC combo something I could be happy with for a year or more with the HD650. I just can't afford to be upgrading equipment as often as some people on here :p, I wish I could though. That Schiit Lyr looks awfully tempting. 

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Just be aware of the O2's sound sig and what others have said with the O2 650 combo. The lyr is extremely tempting, and amazingly enough worth the asking price.I can only imagine how divine the 650s sound with it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 26
It seems like people don't like the O2 because it's transparent, while other popular amps like the Lyr are colored.

Nothing a little EQ can't fix 
wink_face.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 26
Well I think I'm going to go for the O2/ODAC but was wondering if any of you decided to try the DIY way and how difficult was it. I don't mind a little side project if it's something that is not to hard to pick up. The price difference is quite incredible.

Edit: Actually it's like ~$100 dollars difference. hmmm decisions.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, and they should be here this weekend. The problem is the only amp I have on hand is a Fiio E5.

Why is that a problem? Sure, the E5 has limited gain, limited power, and no features beyond a bass-boost switch. On the other hand, its sound is relatively neutral, it's easy to use, and is quite inexpensive. I was impressed with the E5 + HD 650 combination for the two weeks I used them together.

While you may want more from an amp, don't believe the myth that you have to "invest" to drive the "finicky" HD 650. .

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
Just be aware of the O2's sound sig and what others have said with the O2 650 combo. The lyr is extremely tempting, and amazingly enough worth the asking price.I can only imagine how divine the 650s sound with it.

The O2 don't have a "sound sig." It's neutral.

But, the divinity of the amazing "tube audio" sound is in the ears of the true believer.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
Well I think I'm going to go for the O2/ODAC but was wondering if any of you decided to try the DIY way and how difficult was it. I don't mind a little side project if it's something that is not to hard to pick up. The price difference is quite incredible.

DIY route is not difficult, its fun and you learn a lot. 
There are places that sell the O2/Odac combo built already, in case you dont want to make it yourself. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 26
I haven't heard the O2, but I am a fan of how the HD650 pairs with the Lyr.

Thinking outside the box, allow me to suggest the Audioquest Dragonfly as your DAC/Amp. You can plug it into the back of your iMac and it will make your 650's sing. Seriously.

Then as funds allow, select a nice amp and use the DF as a DAC only. Add a DAC later and you are good to go.

You can enjoy great sound and still build your system one piece at a time, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back