IM716 for $49 on Dec 3rd, buy.com
Dec 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #151 of 201
There is not much bass, needs EQing for sure. I wouldn't say it sucks in my ears, for this price I would consider getting them again after I told all my gear. Yes these phones are not very efficient , but with the right amplifier these things can come to life.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #152 of 201
I have to agree on the 'lacking bass' statement, compared to my KSC75s, the bass sounds almost lifeless. Of course, this is remedied by using the 'Bass boost' EQ setting on my ipod (dont have an amp -- yet!)

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #153 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine today, hate to say it but these phones suck. No efficency and no bass. You may think I don't know what is good, I own a pair of dynaudio contours 3.3 speakers with a simaudio titan amp

to get reasonable bass with iems you need to make sure you have a good seal and that these things are sitting snuggly in your ear canals. if not all bets are off wrt not only bass and efficiency but sound quality in general

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #156 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine today, hate to say it but these phones suck. No efficency and no bass. You may think I don't know what is good, I own a pair of dynaudio contours 3.3 speakers with a simaudio titan amp

I just got mine and think they're great. If you want IEMs that sound like speakers get the super.fi 5 EBs. But these are a different animal. And the bass isn't bad for an IEM. These are harder to drive than some. What equipment are you using?

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #157 of 201
these wont get to me till the end of the week
i see er6i's for sale on the forum, should i jump on those instead?
(i want to sell my amp.....want to go small as possible....using an ipod classic)

what do you guys think of the quality is sound.
is it worth it to keep the amp plus the IM716??? or is the er6i good enough?

also, it turned out they are shipping me two IM716's (out of some mistake of their first cancelation and me being extra careful making sure i'd get at least one by reordering and at the same time trying to get the initial cancelation reversed)
if somebody wants one (also, i might sell mine), pm me. other wise i'm just going to return ship it to buy.com

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #159 of 201
Can't agree on the lack of bass. It's surely not overpowering, but clean. I think it's all about the seal. Also, the MiniboxE+ has a nice bass boost switch, that more than delivers added punch. No, these sound very good amped to me. I am going to have Moon Audio do their podectomy and add 47 ohm resistors. Worth it, since they were so cheap in the first place. No, they don't deliver the same SQ as the PK1s (when both are amped), but they are a tremendous value, I think. Fill a nice void in my humble, mid-priced IEM/ear bud collection.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #160 of 201
How do they compare to the im616's and is the podectomy needed with an amp? If you perform the podectomy do you still need an amp? Also, would something like the PA2v2 be enough to drive the im716 w/or w/o a podectomy? Sorry, lots of questions.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #161 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to the im616's and is the podectomy needed with an amp? If you perform the podectomy do you still need an amp? Also, would something like the PA2v2 be enough to drive the im716 w/or w/o a podectomy? Sorry, lots of questions.

I sold the 616s before I got to do an A/B comparison, but they sound similar, of course. I never thought the 616s needed an amp, but the 716s do. I would say that no, the podectomy isn't needed if you use an amp, but from all I have read about them here, they need to get that pod removed for various reasons (one is the stupid thing hangs weighs them down, which is reason enough). The PA2v2 is enough to drive them, in either case, is my guess (though I sold my PA2v2 a while ago, so I can't say for sure).

Hope this helps. I am listening to the 716s right now, using Shure soft flex tips (small) and through the MiniboxE+ and they sound pretty darn good. In fact, they are making some of my lower bitrate files sound lousy (time for more reripping). Wonderful, clear, crisp mids and highs, and the bass is enough, though a bit warmer than the Etys I had (and also sold).

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #162 of 201
Screw it, just sent an offer for the pa2v2 in the FS forum. Ya, I could see how the pod would be annoying, would definetly have to hang them over your ears or use a clip (or remove the pod), bad design. The podectomy will probably be my first DIY MOD. Oh man it's starting.....correction, started
eek.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #163 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

so the pod removal turns the IM716 from baby er4s to er4p??? sort to speak?

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #164 of 201
I got my pair yesterday, and spent a lot of time with them last night, swapping between different pairs of headphones. I love the sound, but these things are significantly less efficient than almost every other IEM or headphone I own. I was using a GoVibe 6 with my Zune, and they were taking everything the GV had to offer. Using any other IEM I own, it almost blew them up at the same level.

That said, will removing the pod and inserting appropriate resistors decrease the need for an amp with these phones? I typically don't use an amp much anymore.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #165 of 201
tstarn06, I am also using my im716 with the Minibox-E, and I think the combo is great. I still have the pod in the cord, but I don't think it is worth removing hearing the sound I'm hearing now.

I use the 75ohm switch on Minibox-E, and it seems to tame the highs a bit and give more weight to the lows. This sound signature is great. Have you tried the PtoS switch with your im716s? -CK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back