iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Feb 2, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #211 of 352
do you have to use vishay dales or panasonics?

I bought some generic 47ohm .25w 1% metal resistors.

WHat is the difference between brand name?

mine go yellow, violet, black, gold, brown

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #212 of 352
Honestly i am from the school of belief that the measurable, let alone audible differences between brands of metal film resistors are slim to none.

Your resistors are just fine. I used Dale resistors 'cause i had 'em. It was pure serendipity that i had them in a size that was usable for this mod.

Nobody is going to be able to tell the difference between xicons, panasonics, dales, holcos, rikens, etc, in a double-blind test. But we're not allowed to discuss scientific determination of listening tests here.

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #213 of 352
got another question. When you solder the resistors to the wires, does it matter which direction they are pointing? As in is there like a + and - part of the resistor? Can I just solder them however I like?

Also, do I twist the wire around the resistor's leads or do I just make them touch, use pliers, and solder?

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #214 of 352
I use generics with good results. Some articles will tell you that the part with the most stripes is the direction of the current. I didn't which way the current goes so i had them both face the buds LOL.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #215 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got another question. When you solder the resistors to the wires, does it matter which direction they are pointing? As in is there like a + and - part of the resistor? Can I just solder them however I like?

Also, do I twist the wire around the resistor's leads or do I just make them touch, use pliers, and solder?

Resistors are thoroughly bipolar, and so is audio for that matter.

When i did FV's podectomy i trimmed the resistor leads down to about 3/16" on each end and put a blob of solder on the leads, then attached the wires.

I have Mad Skillz for that sort of work, but if you need something to hold the joint together i recommend hemostats - aka mosquito foreceps. You can get them cheap on ebay or anywhere that caters to anglers who tie their own lures and flies. And sometimes at electronics supply stores too. Basically they are very skinny locking needle-nose pliers made of spring steel (thus very bendy, and can lock onto anything up to the size of a TO92 transistor if need be).

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #216 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resistors are thoroughly bipolar, and so is audio for that matter.

sorry, but I don't really understand that. So if my resistor goes yellow, violet, black, gold, brown

which color should be directed towards the drivers?

thanks

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #220 of 352
Hi,

My first post

I opened up the pod only to find one of the ground wires frayed.

There seems to be some non conductive enamel/paint coating the wires. Is there a way to remove this? How is this type of wire soldered?

If not, maybe I'll just do a cable replacement if it is possible. Has anyone opened the earpieces and submitted photos?

Thanks for your help

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #221 of 352
Hi, was just wondering if any of you knew what size heat shrink would fit?

I can order anything from 1.5mm to 3/5/6/10mm

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #223 of 352
In my experience it depends on how far you "whittle down" the large white ends inserted into each side of the pod. I used a dremel tool with a small sanding roll to turn each end down to about 2x the diameter of one of the resistors you'll use. Maybe just a bit smaller overall than a pencil eraser?

In any instance, I'm at work, I can't recall what size shrink wrap I used, but it was barely larger than the cut down ends. It compressed the two resistors nicely, kind of looks like a little resistor cocoon...

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #224 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogpound5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

My first post

There seems to be some non conductive enamel/paint coating the wires. Is there a way to remove this? How is this type of wire soldered?

If not, maybe I'll just do a cable replacement if it is possible. Has anyone opened the earpieces and submitted photos?

Thanks for your help

1ST POST!!!

Welcome to head-fi...

...and sorry about your wallet...

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #225 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogpound5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

My first post

Thanks for your help

Didn't answer question because I don't know. I have had everything to do podectomy for about 8 weeks, and haven't started yet - I use my Livewire custom IEM and Denon C700 canalphones so much that I haven't needed to mess the the IM716 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back