iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Jan 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #182 of 352
Just showing off my new sharp new podectomy, which I've just now seen only in this pic from modder extraordinaire ericj. Here is the man's report:

Quote:

After a quick rummage through my parts bin i decided to give it the 'royal' treatment.

I used nice blue Dale RNC60 mil-spec 1-watt 1% tolerance metal-film resistors. 52.3 ohm, because that's the only size i have them in. And because i appear to be fresh out of 47 ohm resistors. But hey, these resistors cost like 83 cents each, and i could buy a dozen regular old 47 ohm metal film resistors for that much money.

Never mind the logic. They sound good, and they look good. The difference vs. 47 ohm is small, but in the direction of slightly more bass.

Making the connection between the ground leads is a chunk of 20awg silver-plated copper, to color-coordinate with the blue resistors, of course.

The sound is certainly more clear without the pod. Bass is present and accurate without being exagerated or fuzzy like the bass setting on the pod made it.

img_1248-crop.jpg

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #183 of 352
Looks great, bet it sounds great too. It's time to ship mine out to Moon Audio, since I no doubt would ruin them if I try it myself. I hate that pod, though set on HD and using an amp, the 716s already sound pretty darn good.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #184 of 352
Tstarn, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts (maybe a detailed comparison) on what you think about the Altec and your Atrios. I want to see how much we agree on them, this will help me also to decide if I want to try the Yuin Pk1 (which you rate very high).

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #185 of 352
Will do. Without causing too much consternation among my fellow Atrio fans, I have to say I was listening to both the 716s and the Atrios amped last night, and the 716s really are sounding like the way to go (when it comes to IEMs). I really don't have the expertise to put it into technical terms, but as many 716s advocates have noted, the AL's really stand out in the mids-highs, and have enough warmth and bass to please (more than the ER4Ps did for me when compared to the Atrios).

I used the 716s in HD mode, with the MiniboxE+ amp with the PtoS and bass switches on (they make a major difference in the 716s). For the Atrios, I turned off the bass and the PtoS switch, because they don't need it with the amp. The 716s were the clear winner in overall balance, and I really found them to be more listenable and more to my taste. I never was a basshead, I just found the Atrio sound preferable to the Etys in a head to head comparison (amped and otherwise). Of course, that was with a PA2V2 amp, not the Minibox.

Unamped, it should be no surprise that I prefer the Atrios for obvious reasons. The 716s are just not efficient enough to be used directly out of either the Zune or the Sony DAPs, so it's tough to compare, since the Atrios sound good to me without having to crank up the volume all the way. So I'd say this comparison, as long as the ALs have the pod, isn't apples to apples.

Does that help?

Now, as for the PK1s, they are still my favorite portable phones in a quiet environment, over both the 716s and the Atrios (again, using an amp, which the PK1s demand). They are just great for detail, soundstange and all the other traits others (Kramer5150, for example) have outlined on the forum.

I can't wait to get the 716s de-podded, so I can just use them without an amp on the go, since it's just not happening right now. Also, I finally found the perfect tip (for me) to use with the 716s, the Comply "short" foamies (in gray). I tried several options, and found an old pair left over from my Etys. I should have remembered how comfy they made the Etys feel. They are perfect for me. I may try the Compy slims too, since the regulars (which I also have) are just a bit too thick for my ears.

When I get the 716s depodded (47ohm, I think. Do you have any suggestions on getting the best bass/mid/high balance in terms of impedence?), then I will make a direct comparison between the 716s and the Atrios. But amped, I favor the 716s. Guess I should have listened to you a long time ago.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #186 of 352
You're welcome. Sadly, my depodded Altec broke after two months. I sent them back to EFN, but he wasn't in condition to repair them and we settled on a refund. But I miss them. They are the best bargain among IEMs I've ever had.

Regarding the impedance, after having sent them back to EFN I was considering to make have the impedance set to around 35 Ohm (for added bass... for starters I had an impedance of 41 ohm, undistinguishable from 47 ohm), and I wanted a short custom PtoS adapted of 40 Ohm to use the Altec with an amp.
Too bad all these projects didn't work, and I tried other different IEMs like the Triple fi (awesome sound, evil discomfort), and the Apuresound Etys. The latter sound good too, and have crazy levels of detail when powered by my iBasso P2, but in regards of quality/price ratio the Altec are preferrable.

I must confess I'm hoping someone puts his depodded Altec for sale, so I can jump on them and have them at least as backup pair.

Last thought: I wonder if Moon Audio allowed you to recable them (stock cable is kinda rubbish at first sight). You could use a Westone ES cable for a lot of added comfort and possible sonic improvements. Since you paid so little for them, and you love them so much, why don't experiment a bit? The Westone cable costs 30ish.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #187 of 352
Good thought on the recable. I am gong to ask Drew at Moon if he can recabled them. I am also going to go for a more bass-oriented mod, just wondered what your advice would be. After my last response, I plugged the Atrios into my Zune without and amp and did the same with the 716s. No contest. Atrios all the way. I am really anxious to get the AL's modded now, especially with that recable idea.

Thanks. I read that Newegg is selling the 716s for $45. Why not just get another pair, and mod them again?

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #188 of 352
Unamped, it is going to be a compromise between bassy but muddy vs clean and analytical though bass shy.

I wanted a direct connection to my iPod Touch so I opted with 47 ohm resistors. I get 50-ish total impedance. Headroom is noticeably higher. Sound opened up. Image stabilized. Bass tightened.

If I were to go amped, I'd go in the direction of the ER4S experimenting with 68 ohms and higher.

Ultimately the choice will be personal. You'll just have to try different resistors until you find one that matches with your equipment and suits your preference.

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #189 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just showing off my new sharp new podectomy, which I've just now seen only in this pic from modder extraordinaire ericj. Here is the man's report:

img_1248-crop.jpg

interesting, 52 ohms sound be less bass and more air.

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #190 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting, 52 ohms sound be less bass and more air.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he meant the Dales versus cheapo resistors, or if it was just a slip of the tongue. Anyway, the bass/air difference should be minimal between 47 and 52 ohms.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #191 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I were to go amped, I'd go in the direction of the ER4S experimenting with 68 ohms and higher.

Actually 68 Ohms works just fine from unamped Zune and there is still plenty of bass.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #192 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually 68 Ohms works just fine from unamped Zune and there is plenty of bass.

But do I remember correctly that you were strongly in favor of the HD setting over the bass one? How does 68 Ohms sound compared to them, to your ear?

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #193 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But do I remember correctly that you were strongly in favor of the HD setting over the bass one? How does 68 Ohms sound compared to them, to your ear?

Yes, I was, although I cannot recall sharing that on this board.
wink.gif

There is definitely more air and crisper details, bass quantity if not identical but very close, only better controlled and tighter.

EDIT: On the second thought, bass actually a bit stronger than stock HD mode.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #194 of 352
Quote:

Actually 68 Ohms works just fine from unamped Zune and there is plenty of bass.

That sounds interesting. This issue is making me nuts. But since you have a Zune, and that's my primary DAP, I may go with 68. I want to be able to use the 716s both amped and unamped (and with the latter, get enough bass and keep the clear mids/highs from the 716s).

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #195 of 352
Quote:

Yes, I was, although I cannot recall sharing that on this board.
wink.gif

Hm. Wonder who I was thinking of. Maybe somebody else with a Speed Racer avatar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back