iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Jan 10, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #197 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 68 ohm modded IM716 will still sound a lot better than a stocker on HD mode. Start with that and should you feel you need more headroom, reduce your impedance.

By headroom you mean volume, right?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #199 of 352
Got back my podectomied im716 today. I'm happy to report that the mod is a complete success: it not only mixes the virtues of both settings on the annoying pod, it's actually better than either at the things they do well: tighter bass than the bass setting, and what feels like a flatter response than the HD setting, with no loss of detail at all. Even more detail, perhaps, but it's hard to be sure just going on memory.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #200 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got back my podectomied im716 today. I'm happy to report that the mod is a complete success: it not only mixes the virtues of both settings on the annoying pod, it's actually better than either at the things they do well: tighter bass than the bass setting, and what feels like a flatter response than the HD setting, with no loss of detail at all. Even more detail, perhaps, but it's hard to be sure just going on memory.

Yes I was surprised by how effective the mod is.

Even though I'd only spent about 20 minutes listening to them before taking out the pod, the difference was immediately noticed.

Anybody who's seen me in DIY threads knows my feelings about the audibility of resistor and capacitor changes - but pod vs. inline resistor really does seem to have a huge impact.

Makes me wonder about adding some resistance to my er-6i. But then again, once you get a good seal with the 6i, the only issue is the slightly rolled off treble, and i don't think a resistor is going to change that.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #203 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the ER6i and podectomized IM716 compare? Make it unamped.

Unamped? couldn't tell you for sure because i only listened to them for an hour or so and it was with an amp. The detail level seems to be about the same, and the im716 has more treble, like i already said.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #204 of 352
I finish my switching podectomy
biggrin.gif

I decide to use a dip switch to bypass resistor in parallel so I can select a range of resistor.

There is a local part store that has 1% resistor so I got 47.5 Ohm 20.5 ohms and 31 ohms, those were the one readily available so I can get 47.5 Ohm Or 47.5+20.5=68 ohm 47.5+20.5+31=99 ohm or any other combo with those three number

First I got a dipswitch that look a bit like this but with pass through pin instead

DipSwitch.jpg

Then solder resistor in parallel to the pins using the switch as bypass.

Here a crude schematic
Schematic.jpg

Here the PCB I use (This image printed at 600dpi is the right scale for the PCB)
test-.jpg

I etch my own PCB. It was the first time I done DIY PCB Laser printer transfer, Ferric chloride etching, after several error I finally got it right. Lucky it's a fairly small pcb.

Here what it look finish.
The PCB has the same footprint as the dipswitch the resistor are sandwich between the dipswich and the pcb. The ground wire were only solder together and heatshink. The left and right channel input and output are the two middle hole on top and bottom edge of the pcb.

Pod.jpg

EDIT: I decide to redo the outside heat shrinking so here some pics of the "inside" Sorry for the crappy soldering job

DipSwitchSide.jpg

PODPCB.jpg

I'm glad now I can chose between resistor level I want.
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #206 of 352
so if I just remove the pod without adding resistors, will I still hear a difference in SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back