I'm reading a book for the first time in 5 months. I'm a freshman.
Aug 29, 2009 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Benaiir

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm reading a book called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams and so far - only one part was made me laugh/smile chuckle. It starts on page 34 and ends 3 paragraphs down the page and it reads:

" There was a slight whisper, a sudden spacious whisper of open ambient sound. Every hi-fi set in the world, every radio, every television, every cassette player recorder, every woofer, every tweeter, every mid-range driver in the world quietly turned itself on.
Every tin can, every dustbin, every window, every car, every wineglass, every sheet of rusty metal became activated as an acoustically perfect sounding board.
Before the Earth passed away it was going to be treated to the very ultimate in sound reproduction, the greatest public address system ever built. But there was no concert, no music, no fanfare, just a simple message."

Seems to be he's an audiophile
smily_headphones1.gif
This is the best summer reading ever.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Read Kelley Armstrong, my favorite author. REALLY good supernatural romance-type with some nice action, great character development and by far simply the most enjoyable read I've ever had. I own every one of her books and usually finish them within 2 days of getting them... usually ending half-way at 4am the first day and finishing the second.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 17
HGTTG is one of my favourite book series- I even like the movie. What can I say, the casting of Arthur was spot on. Not to mention Zooey Deschanel as Trillian...

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 17
Hahah she was the best bit.
Ford was a bit odd though.

Anyway, great series, hope you enjoy it. You can pick up the volume with all five books sometimes for like $12 too.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 17
I recommend the BBC radio series, rather than reading the book. It is done utterly brilliantly, and if you aren't chuckling after the equivalent 34 pages in, then you probably won't get it at all!!!

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the BBC radio series, rather than reading the book. It is done utterly brilliantly, and if you aren't chuckling after the equivalent 34 pages in, then you probably won't get it at all!!!

I'm doing this for summer reading, so the HS I'm going to doesn't recommend movies or any other variant of the actually book... Plus notes and a noisy house don't make it enjoyable. I'm sure I made a good choice with this one though. I shouldn't have waited this long to get my reading done. School starts on the 8th and I have to read 450+ pages and take notes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read Kelley Armstrong, my favorite author. REALLY good supernatural romance-type with some nice action, great character development and by far simply the most enjoyable read I've ever had. I own every one of her books and usually finish them within 2 days of getting them... usually ending half-way at 4am the first day and finishing the second.
tongue.gif

I'm not exactly the person who likes reading romance, but I'll try to look into it if it's THAT good. I haven't had time to listen to music and I'm wasting time on the forums here. I need to get going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep reading, it gets better.

I kinda have to
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 17
I can't believe that you've only laughed one time in 34 pages, but it does get better.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Funny my old copy from about 14 years ago recently popped up and ended up on my floor the other day. It is British humor so it wont be funny to everyone. One part in one of the later books made me laugh so hard I cried when my friend let me read it. It explains something only briefly mentioned in the first book. Oh man...haha! I only read the first book but I had the series on tape too. Great stuff! The movie left me thinking "What?" after the first half, but it's still pretty good. Maybe I missed something from the other books to understand the rest of the movie, not sure. Even if you don't find it very funny its still a fun and twisted adventure. I think I was the same why when I read it.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 17
Ah, THHGTHG....one of my most favorite books. And I even love all its various incarnations, from the complete set of sequels, the BBC radio series, and the BBC TV Broadcast to the recent movie. Every reincarnation of the book seems to bring something wholly new to the table, while keeping itself true to the original book.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 17
That's one of my favorite books. I didn't think the opening was too great, but it really does get better and better. I was guffawing to the point where my parents asked me if I was okay by the end
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 17
great book, great series, but what does a freshman have to do with anything? and how long are you a freshman for? for instance, what if you go to a school/uni/college with only 3 years, or 2, or 5? what happens then?

i've always wanted to know. found it easier to say first year, second year, etc., myself.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was guffawing to the point where my parents asked me if I was okay by the end
biggrin.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great book, great series, but what does a freshman have to do with anything? and how long are you a freshman for? for instance, what if you go to a school/uni/college with only 3 years, or 2, or 5? what happens then?

i've always wanted to know. found it easier to say first year, second year, etc., myself.

1st year of high-school = Freshman
2nd year of high-school = Sophomore
3rd year of high-school = Junior
4th year of high-school = Senior

So, being a freshman lasts one year, I just got into HS and school starts on the 8th.

Btw, I'm on page 122 (They land on Magrathea). It's much better then the beginning. I like the author's style. I don't really know how to describe it, but if I would, it would be something along the lines of smooth and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back