I'm looking for some headphones and I'm new to the game.
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ExileMystic

New Head-Fier
Alright, I'm looking to buy some headphones in the range of 100 to 250 dollars. At first I was just going to go out and get some Bose headphones but I heard from a friend that they aren't the best out there and that I should check out some other stuff first. So I decided to try and get an idea from some people who know more than me on what I should be looking at. If it helps, the music I usually listen to is rock, alternative, some pop, as well as some blues. Overall though I'm looking for something that'll be good across the board. I appreciate any help that is given and remember I'm new so please be gentle.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Sir, I applaud you for coming to Head-fi without going out and blindly buying some bose! Welcome, and sorry for your wallet!

I guess the first thing you should let us know is if you want in ear monitors (like the earbud-type), supra-aural (on the ear), or circumaural (completely surrounds the ear).

The next thing is to ask if you want open (sound will leak) or closed (sound will not leak).

My suggestion based on my experience (all that I have heard) is to look at:

Circumaural/supra-aural
Audio Technica ath-m50 (closed)
Alessandro MS1 (open)
Ultrasone hifi780 (closed)

I unfortunately don't have too much experience with in ear monitors so perhaps someone else could suggest something if that is what you are looking for

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 7
I have a pair of klipsch s4's to serve as my in ear phones. Right now I'm looking into getting some around ear or on ear headphones. As for the sound leaking question I would would definitely like to avoid sound leaking(especially to a major degree). With that being said I'll go ahead and say that I'm not looking for noise cancelling headphones at all, I'm just wanting some phones that'll sound better than the headphones I've got at the moment, which are just some sony headphones I picked up when one of my friends complained about my computer speakers.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, I'll probably be hooking them up to my laptop and my Zune hd. I'm no musician or anything, just a guy with a good appreciation for music that wants to get all he can out of it.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 7
I'll throw in a vote for the Audio-Technica ESW9s.  You'll be able to find them for probably less than $200 used.  I've gone to customs but if I hadn't I'd still have my ESW9. 

Quite close to a neutral sound with a little bump in the upper bass.  Gorgeous looking headphone with wood cups and a smooth refined sound.  They are very easy to drive, right out of your Zune HD would be fine and they don't benefit much from extra amping.  Straight out of your portable you'll get about their best sound.  They're also quite surprising in that they don't leak sound.  They're not the best if you want isolation but sound does not leak out.  They would be my pick.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Would the ESW9s be worth the extra hundred bucks in price difference( as compared to the new 100 bucks Audio Technica ath-m50's which have caught my eye. I gotta say that the ESW9's have a great look to them though that is very original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back