I'm looking for a good DAP around $100
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Andelous

New Head-Fier
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted in this forum :)

After a while of having the Audiotechnica M40X's, I'm feeling concerned about my phone and laptop not being able to squeeze the best out of my cans, that's why I want a dedicated DAP for the sake of listening music.

I've been looking to a couple of DAPs such as the:
  • Fiio X1 (2nd gen)
  • Fiio M3K
  • Hidizs AP80 or AP60
But I just can't make up my mind about which one to buy. Another reason I can't make up my mind is my country. Since I live in Mexico, most of the products mentioned above have to be imported, and thus, the price is increased.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted in this forum :)
After a while of having the Audio technica M40X's, I'm feeling concerned about my phone and laptop not being able to squeeze the best out of my cans, that's why I want a dedicated DAP for the sake of listening music.
I've been looking to a couple of DAPs such as the:
  • Fiio X1 (2nd gen)
  • Fiio M3K
  • Hidizs AP80 or AP60
But I just can't make up my mind about which one to buy. Another reason I can't make up my mind is my country. Since I live in Mexico, most of the products mentioned above have to be imported, and thus, the price is increased.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I had a FiiO X1 (Gen 1), I was able to test for 10 days, I liked it.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Do you know how it compares to the Fiio X1??
And also, do you think any of these would be enough to get the best sound out of my M40X's?
Thanks in advance.
With headphones like the ATH-M40X, I would not spend more then $100 for a DAP.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 12
Cayin N3 may be worth investigating
I would also suggest to look into the cayin n3. It's a great sounding dap with a great featureset. I am quite sure there is enough power for the ATH-M40X.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Cayin N3 is outside his/her budget though. I've been looking for a new DAP for weeks now so did lots of research so i could put you in the right direction even if i haven't had direct usage of the DAP. One thing is the Fiio X1 is great at first but sound wise limited. My Xduoo X3 eats it for breakfast sound wise :)

HIDIZS AP 60 II (newest model).

Shanling M0 or M1

I've finally set on the M0. It doubles up as a DAC too so it'll improve your sound on your laptop as well. You just hook it up via USB and select it as your primary source. Bets of both worlds.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Cayin N3 is outside his/her budget though. I've been looking for a new DAP for weeks now so did lots of research so i could put you in the right direction even if i haven't had direct usage of the DAP. One thing is the Fiio X1 is great at first but sound wise limited. My Xduoo X3 eats it for breakfast sound wise :)

HIDIZS AP 60 II (newest model).

Shanling M0 or M1

I've finally set on the M0. It doubles up as a DAC too so it'll improve your sound on your laptop as well. You just hook it up via USB and select it as your primary source. Bets of both worlds.
Cayin N3 is 109 dollars all over eBay

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Ah sorry friend. Prices over in UK for it is £150 :frowning2: Made the assumption they'd be the same over the pond, my bad.

I nearly bought one second hand the other week for £80 but had too many scare stories over it's poor UI. Not to say that's always the case though.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, the Cayin N3 and Shanling M0 are both priced around the same. Haven't heard the M0 yet, but the N3 is a great DAP for wired use. Not so much bluetooth, which on paper, it looks like the M0 does well.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 12
The Cayin N3 looks tempting for me. Unfortunately I'll have to wait about 2 months and pay some taxes for it. I think I'm settling on this DAP. It's got fairly good reviews and specs.

The Shanling M0 is really small, and I don't know how much will it compromise battery life and sound quality (for it has less space to fit all the good components inside).

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I'm pretty sure the Cayin N3 will be my choice but, in the mean time, any other suggestions are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back