I'm bored, so I am posting some photos. DIALUP WARNING
Sep 14, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #61 of 74
Here's three of mine. The first was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 990, the second and third with a Nikon D70, 60mm macro lens.

DSCN5124.jpg
DSC_0836.jpg
DSC_0859.jpg

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #62 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
Hello all,
I am rather bored tonight, so I figured I would post some photos that I have taken in last few weeks. I don't really get a chance to share them that often, so I figure I will just send some out into the ether to see if anyone has any comments or just cares to look at them.

happy-seifuku.jpg

This pic had me rolling.
biggrin.gif

Edit: this thread has given me the itch to whip out my digicam and take it to work tomorrow to snap some pics during lunch. You guys are just pure evil i tell ya.

By the way, great pics by everyone who posted them.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
I believe it was Rozhdestvensky, although I couldn't swear to it. She is royalty, although not in the direct line of descent. Her parents fled to Paris after the revolution and then Stalin coaxed them back. When they came back, the gov't took everything and it wasn't until the early 90's that they could leave again.

I might have some pictures scanned at home. I'll post them later tonight if I still have them.

Crap! I don't have them anymore. I'll find out from my friend's wife what her grandfather's name was and if she has the scans. I'll PM you with that info.

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #64 of 74
Taken with a Contax Quartz139, and then is the negs scanned. Developed in good ol' D76. Except the color shots, of course. Very nice pics, everyone!

paris6.jpg

from the european social forum in Paris last year. Great fun!

mona3.jpg

A girl.

nordnorge10.jpg

From the mountains at home.

nordnorge5.jpg

View from the mountains at home. It takes one hour to get up there from where I've grown up.

Sep 15, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
Cool camera.

Love that camera! I'm with you. There's just something about the golden oldies. I'm not nearly as good with it as my father was. One thing is certain, these boxes do get a second or third look in these digital days!

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #66 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Love that camera! I'm with you. There's just something about the golden oldies. I'm not nearly as good with it as my father was. One thing is certain, these boxes do get a second or third look in these digital days!

These oldies are simply awesome. It was the mechanical feel of the oldies that got me into photography in the first place. Do you carry a separate light meter or does the Ikoflex come with a metering system?

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #67 of 74
I'd be extremely impressed if the Ikoflex has a built in meter - I don't think the in-camera meter came into use until the 70s (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

My Bronica system came with an old Sekonic L228 meter, but I decided to splurge and get one of these. I didn't pay anywhere near retail on it, but it's still admittedly overkill. It is awfully handy, though.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #68 of 74
I think some on camera or in camera meters came out in the late 50s, early sixties. Most were selenium meters, which work OK, but not for low-light, which is when you really need a meter. With black and white negative film, you don't really need a meter if you have some practice. The tonal range of a film like Tri-X or TMAX is on the order of 15 stops, with information for all of those 15 stops, so you can still make a useable print if you are a few stops off. The problems come in with slide film and digital. You really have to have a meter to expose for these correctly. Digital has a very small tonal range compared to film, about 8 stops and the information recorded is less on on either end of the spectrum (less detail in the shadows and highlights). That said, you can take the picture, look at the histogram or the picture and decided what you want right there, so it is a bit of a different beast. Slide film is probably the hardest -- the picture you take is the picture you get unless you scan it and edit it. Of course there is no better way to look at a picture than projected on a top notch projector and screen. Just like audio, it's all about trade-offs. There is no perfect solution.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #69 of 74
I'm pretty sure some 35mm cameras going as far back as the 50's had attached but not necessarily internal meters. The early cameras weren't automatic and the meter wasn't coupled to the lens so you would have to take a light reading then set the shutter/aperture manually. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't cameras going further back than that which contained meters...... primitive meters but meters non-the-less. My first 35mm was a Minolta SRT101 and it was from the 60's but contained an internal TTL meter. I don't know about the IcoFlex however.

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #71 of 74
You guys take very good photos. I'm afraid that mine aren't of the same caliber. In my defence, I bought my Canon FT only 8 months ago and I'm a slow learner
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope you enjoy these anyway.

My camera.
desben-01trillium0015.jpg

A little wood guy
desben-02BW0010.jpg

A little bronze guy
desben-03BW0013.jpg

Macro queen on an old $20 bill
desben-04BW0008.jpg

A chair
desben-05BW0002.jpg

Protest
desben-06protest_0004.jpg

Rideau Canal (Ottawa) in the spring
desben-07canal.jpg

The sun shining on a building
desben-08sunstar.jpg

School Zone, on an early winter morning
desben-11schoolzone.jpg

Ciao!

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #72 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by dabblerblue
anyone like tarsiers?

016.jpg

very beautiful .
i saw them , rarely, on tvs
i think I'll keep this shot for my next desktop image
wow , head-fi is a sourcefulofotherpassions
smily_headphones1.gif

..seems there are quite many here that are good /very good at taking shots
k1000smile.gif
( I'm not
plainface.gif
)

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #74 of 74
I noticed that many of you guys do macro work. As you may have noticed in my signature, I recommend that you check out www.macrophotography.org I'm a moderator there. It's a good resource for all things macro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back