I'm bored, so I am posting some photos. DIALUP WARNING
Sep 12, 2004 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Hello all,
I am rather bored tonight, so I figured I would post some photos that I have taken in last few weeks. I don't really get a chance to share them that often, so I figure I will just send some out into the ether to see if anyone has any comments or just cares to look at them.

puffballs-bw2.jpg

happy-seifuku.jpg

skater-chicks.jpg

jimmy-crags2.jpg

roseandsalt.jpg

I think I posted that one before...

presidio-bells.jpg

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 74
Now Stu, how could you be bored on an evening where it was possible to watch the Trojan's 49 point creaming of Colorado State?
tongue.gif

BTW Nice pics, I especially like the first one, and the rose (love the contrast between the focused and unfocused areas [I'm sure there must be some more technical photofile jargon for that effect, no?]).

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 74
Nice shots, as always, stuart. I like the first landscape shot the best, though I also like the composition of your flower and salt shaker shot.

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 74
i have neither the experience nor abilities of stuartr, and i shoot in digital (wimpy) but i'd like to throw some of my recent favorites up:

macrotest2004_08_16_012.sized.jpg

passionflower2004_08_22_005.sized.jpg

fly2004_08_29_016.sized.jpg

(no, the fly is NOT on a piece of poo)

nyc2004_08_29_006_fixed.sized.jpg

i like plain stuff against a clear blue sky. i don't know why.

spiraling2004_09_04_007.sized.jpg

this is the lead singer of a great local unsigned band: spiraling. i saw them last week at the mercury lounge, and they're quite awesome. i brought my camera along and i think i got some decent shots, a bit noisy at iso1000 though.

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 74
stuartr - The Japanese guy in the second photo didn't react any did he? I am surprised he let you take a shot!

grinch - What digital camera is that? The colors are amazing!

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 74
i used a Nikon D70. the top three macro shots were taken with a nikkor 105mm f/2.8 and the bottom two shots were with the plain old autofocus nikkor 50mm f/1.4.

speaking of color, stuartr, that blue in the sky of picture four is stupendous. 1, 4, and 5 are my personal favorites. they are all really great shots.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
stuartr - The Japanese guy in the second photo didn't react any did he? I am surprised he let you take a shot!

grinch - What digital camera is that? The colors are amazing!

Grinch -- nothing wimpy about digital. Especially not a D70. That is a pro-worthy camera. I like your shots as well -- especially the shot of the fly and of the water towers on the buildings.

Mr. Blue Onion -- Actually, the guy did not know I took it -- that is why it is blurry. I had the camera hanging around my waist and I focused hyperfocally. I.E. I just guessed the exposure and set the lens at about 2 meters and guessed when they were that far away from me. Then I just sort of made like I was not looking at them and pointed the camera in their general direction and pulled the trigger. I think that if I had let them know, they would not have had such a nice pose. The penalty is the shot is crooked and not sharp. I still like it though.

Iron-Dreamer: Thanks for the comments. Actually, that does have a techno-babble name. It's called bokeh (or boke-aji...it's from Japanese). It is the relationship between the in focus and out of focus parts of the picture. I shot that with a 50mm f/1.2 lens, which has very very small depth of field, so it made the background go completely fuzzy.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch

speaking of color, stuartr, that blue in the sky of picture four is stupendous. 1, 4, and 5 are my personal favorites. they are all really great shots.

Thanks grinch. The sky out here in Santa Barbara is pretty amazing. That picture was taken up in the mountains at about 3500 feet, so it was probably even better. I used Kodak E100G, which is a pretty neutral film, so that is essentially what it looked like. No polarizers or filters, just a leica 50mm summicron lens, which is ridiculously sharp and very high contrast.
That nikon setup must be so much fun....I often think I am a bit of a masochist for still using a film rangefinder, but that feeling instantly dissipates when I release the shutter and advance the film. It's like budda.

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
Thanks grinch. The sky out here in Santa Barbara is pretty amazing. That picture was taken up in the mountains at about 3500 feet, so it was probably even better. I used Kodak E100G, which is a pretty neutral film, so that is essentially what it looked like. No polarizers or filters, just a leica 50mm summicron lens, which is ridiculously sharp and very high contrast.

mmm leica. i dream of an m6 and a 50mm. it's all i ask for, why must it cost four grand? at first looking at that picture, i almost certainly figured some sort of color boost of some kind, as the blue just pops out at you so damn well, but i figured that wasn't your style.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

That nikon setup must be so much fun....I often think I am a bit of a masochist for still using a film rangefinder, but that feeling instantly dissipates when I release the shutter and advance the film. It's like budda.

it's definitely fun. the instant gratification of digital is very addicting, but that didn't stop me from finding a mint F4 on ebay last week. it arrived on friday and it's such a dream, and built like a tank. i always wanted one when i was younger, and now i can finally afford to have one. of course, being compatible with all my lenses is a big plus. after hearing some interesting reviews of velvia, i bought a roll and threw it in the F4. haven't finished it yet though, but i'm hoping maybe this week i'll get through it and see how i like it compared to my digital shots.

after reading your site thoroughly a couple of weeks ago, i've decided that i definitely need to give that ilford fp4+ a try. i was looking for it at b&h but didn't see it on their shelf.

i have big respect for people that still shoot film. digital is so incredibly easy and lazy and inexpensive. i also think it's an awesome learning tool. i can fiddle with aperature settings and whatnot, and instantly see the differences that they make. shooting live music performances is a favorite of mine, and digital seems the way to go with that as well.

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 74
I love that first shot. Very nice.
cool.gif

(It reminds me of a favorite by Robert Frank the name of which I can't recall, neither can I locate my book, or find a web link.
rolleyes.gif
It's from an open truck full of people, their wide brimmed hats in the foreground and the road and mountains at perfectly altered angles ahead).

stuartr, as you are a film user, have you considered medium or large format?

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 74
Me too!!!!

hawkfrontal.jpg

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 74
PoFA2b1.jpg

MuirWoodsBW2.jpg

SunnyBed2.jpg

All three taken with a camera that's nearly twice as old as I am - a Bronica S (medium format). I inherited a pretty complete system (2 bodies, 5 lenses, assorted extras) from my dad, and I love it - I generally spend at least one day a week out somewhere taking pictures.

Sep 12, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 74
Figure I'd post a couple shots from my digital (recently received as a gift) -- this is basically the first shot I ever took with it:

1092950646466_flower.JPG

I'm a horse racing fan, so occasionally I'll get shots of horses at the track:

1096337670804_action.JPG

Here's one from my family's recent trip to Cortina (which I missed since I was at school >_<):

1093031550335_cortina.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back