I'm blown away by VINYL!!!!
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
My whole life has been about convenience and simplicity. Smaller is better and what ever I can fit into my pocket wins every-time.

But when I got my Rega P1 with the Azur 640P phono stage running into my little dot mk3, I was truly shocked. I can now listen to records from the 60s and 70s and they have amazing taut bass that rivals or better some of the best produced records to today.

The brickwalled compression that's so common in CDs today is none existent in old vinyls. It's just a pure joy!!!!

I'm waiting for a titanium counter weight and acrylic platter to take the sound to the next level!!!

Also sending the tonearm in for a cardas rewiring
smile.gif

I'm so in audio heaven right now

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 53
It begins! Be careful. Be very careful. That next level can lead to the next next level, and around and around you'll go on the never ending merry go round of pocket draining upgrades.

My advice would be to carry through with your immediate plans for the two new items and getting your tonearm rewired, and then settle into your system for a while. As the good Uncle suggests, start hunting down some minty used vinyl. That's where the real excitement is!

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 53
They do seem to pop up alot. But every vinyl convert is good news to me (unless of course you get that one record I was meant to get
wink.gif
).

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm waiting for a titanium counter weight and acrylic platter to take the sound to the next level!!!

Also sending the tonearm in for a cardas rewiring
smile.gif

glad you're enjoying it but be a bit careful of spending lots of money on upgrading a deck like this...how much are all these upgrades going to cost you?

you may simply be better off just trading in for the next Rega up or something better still....

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no.. I hate these threads..
redface.gif

probably because you don't have a turntable? going by your sig anyway. I'm sure many people find the innumerable flame wars about certain budget DACs as infinitely tedious...

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably because you don't have a turntable? going by your sig anyway. I'm sure many people find the innumerable flame wars about certain budget DACs as infinitely tedious...

Because it makes me think of building a vinyl rig as well.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

glad you're enjoying it but be a bit careful of spending lots of money on upgrading a deck like this...how much are all these upgrades going to cost you?

you may simply be better off just trading in for the next Rega up or something better still....

Good advice, I was looking into getting a few upgrades for me TT ( Cart, platter etc ) for my pro-ject debut III. In the end I have decide to leave the TT as it is and buy a full new deck in a few months, Hopefully a pro-ject Xpack. Welcome to the world of vinyl !!!!

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

That's why people buy expensive DACs.
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why people buy expensive DACs.
cool.gif

Today's expensive DAC is tomorrow's worthless obsolete DAC. A good 50 Lb. turntable made from real stuff is forever.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 53
the hunt for used for vinyl is certainly a delight. Being a music lover, finding obscure music that you otherwise wouldn't pick up or give a second glance at is one of the main appeals of vinyl for me. What's most shocking is how incredible they sound (once you cleaned them off) !!!! and most of the time, just for a dollar or less.

I have no more desire to upgrade my system, as I've heard that the more you invest into higher end turntables, the more it sounds like digital, which is not what I'm looking for.

I like some of that "low-fi" quality of a turntable, it links me back to the magic of first hearing Taichovski on my granny's crappy Turn table, warbles, slight pitch inconsistencies, channels delicately fading out here and there, static pops, etc.... but to a much lesser extent in my situation.

Vinyl can be surprisingly Hi-Fi as well, I'm hearing speed, transients, soundstage depth and width that I've never heard on my digital system before.

Considering the delicate nature of a black round vinyl disk, you really have to take care of handling and caring for the disks which in turn foster a deeper respect for the music.

It's good enough for my mid-fi mindset and comfort food for my ears : ) Thanks for the advice for not going upgrade crazy, I think I'm gonna stick to my set up for quite a few years to come.

Vinyl forever!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back