I'm blown away by VINYL!!!!
Feb 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 53
I love seeing the look on my friends faces when they think a cd is playing only to find out it's a record.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
t90_angle.jpg

It even has SPDIF out!

StantonT90C.jpg

Now that's just plain silly. That's introducing a completely unnecessary and likely harmful-to-the-signal-chain analog to digital conversion, which has to be converted back to analog somewhere else in the chain.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I most definitely have no plans to get rid of my analog rig. I love the sound. And I agree, clean records is key to a good clean sound. However, the part that is frustrating about buy used records is you never know if a record has needle damage until you get it home and listen. I've bought countless used records, cleaned the heck out of them, but they still sound distorted during loud passages because the grooves are just damaged. This part alone makes buying used records a gamble; sure they may be cheap, but if you add up all those gambles that I've lost, it adds up.

For cleaning records, I use a thing called a Spin-Clean. I'm sure it's not as effective as the good vacuum units, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to pay $550 (VPI 16.5) for a turntable with a vacuum tube on it. That's how much I paid for my MMF-5.1, which is a much more complex and precise device than a record cleaning machine.

I have the record doctor II - it's $200 or was anyway and it's just as affective. You just need a vacuum. Without, a vacuum system, you really won't have clean records. None of the other methods even come close.

Also, at $1 or $2 a pop for used records, you still might have 50% come out as keepers. That is still cheaper than buying a CD. You will get a knack for what will be quality or not which will help your odds too.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the record doctor II - it's $200 or was anyway and it's just as affective. You just need a vacuum. Without, a vacuum system, you really won't have clean records. None of the other methods even come close.

Also, at $1 or $2 a pop for used records, you still might have 50% come out as keepers. That is still cheaper than buying a CD. You will get a knack for what will be quality or not which will help your odds too.

Why not just buy a cheap turntable (used or otherwise) and use a cheap vacuum with the brush head and some record cleaner to vacuum the surfaces - $50 would likely cover the whole rig?

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #51 of 53
I just got into vinyl and am using my grandma's old NAD 5020a with a brand new grado black cartridge, new belt and my dad's old realistic phono stage, it sounds good but the records for sure need to be clean to shine.

Thanks for the links and info on the record doctor 2, definitely something i need to purchase.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's not entirely true. I use steam cleaning in combination with my Spin-Clean and I get fantastic results. It may not be quite as good as a vacuum system, but I'm sure it's fairly close.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just buy a cheap turntable (used or otherwise) and use a cheap vacuum with the brush head and some record cleaner to vacuum the surfaces - $50 would likely cover the whole rig?

Not a bad idea!

There's actually a DIY version on the web also that shows exactly how to make a RCM (sorry if that was already mentioned in this thread). If you're a DIYer, then I'd say go for it
smile.gif
- Both methods should be just as effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back