I'm blown away by VINYL!!!!
Feb 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 53
its a fad.. slowly the crackle pop fizz and humm will drag you down. Take care not to rush and spend on gear, as vinyl is terribly fickle - spend thousands to be driven insane! Track down some lp's, savour them till summer...then go back to digital....

I've been down that road, i know exactly where it ends.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a fad.. slowly the crackle pop fizz and humm will drag you down. Take care not to rush and spend on gear, as vinyl is terribly fickle - spend thousands to be driven insane! Track down some lp's, savour them till summer...then go back to digital....

Oh! I know where everything all ends and its not a pretty thought so enjoy the ride regardless of the road traveled.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 53
The best compromise is having needle drops (or similar methods) in digital format. The depth and weight presented is so real that it feels surreal.
ph34r.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 53
I don't think the vinyl road has to end!! Vinyl and digital both have their place in my life. Neither is replaceable...... Sometimes Vinyl will sound better and some time Digital will sound better, sometimes the convenience factor will play a major part and digital will certainly win, but other times I will prefer listening to my vinyl setup.

Just a word of advice for people waiting to jump into the pool. Wait till you get the money to get a great table, the P1 being the minimal, keep your vinyl crystal clean, keep it well calibrated!

be selective with your vinyls that you purchase and play them back in store if possible to check for fidelity.

Don't obsesses about gear!!! I think the last statement is good advice for everyone here on this forum.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #20 of 53
hi guys,

I've just recently been listening to some vinyl and wanted to get a player of my own. Is there any player below $100 worth getting? or should I hold off on buying one until I have money to get a good one? is there any "vintage" Sony, JVC, Kenwood that's worth a look? I already have a cheap pre-amp and stereo.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #21 of 53
I've heard good things about vintage tables, but you'll prolly spend that much again setting the thing up. Someone help this gentleman?

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 53
To restore a vintage turntable costs a lot of effect and cash. I would save up for a nice entry level Pro-Ject. For the cost of 20 cds you can get a good turntable that will last you for a long time.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so in audio heaven right now

Congratulations!

Now I expect a lot of posts against vinyl, because some are afraid of what they are missing. Just ignore all that, enjoy music and welcome to the fold of the enlightened
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL - back to a laptop for a source is where it ends? That is sad. Sounds like all that digital edginess is making you depressed. You might want to try again and this time buy a record cleaning machine
tongue.gif

10 years and I'm still waiting for the analog road to end....

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 53
Congrats! Remember the best part about vinyl is all the wonderful MUSIC available on this format, a lot of it cheap (iTunes wants $1 a song for a compressed digital file? Gimme a break...).

Had my vintage SOTA/Glider table setup by pros about 20 months ago, it's worked like a dream since then - haven't had to mess with things one bit! I've had CD/DVD transports die on me in less time, not to mention the software crashes/issues when I tried to use a PC rig as source (Mac/Duet is much much better, though)
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To restore a vintage turntable costs a lot of effect and cash. I would save up for a nice entry level Pro-Ject. For the cost of 20 cds you can get a good turntable that will last you for a long time.

It's not necessarily the case that renovating an old turntable need cost you anywhere near the price of a new one. You can often pick up '70s stalwarts like the old Pioneer PD-11/12D or Sansui SR222 for next to nothing.

These are simple beltdrives which will usually only require a clean and an oil change ( use car engine oil ). A new belt is 10-20USD in most cases and if the replacement stylus is expensive a new cart like the AT95E is 50USD. That's less than half what you'd pay for an decent entry level Pro-Ject or Rega, which will be better but not that much better, certainly nowhere near twice as good.

If you are talking about getting a Garrard 301/401 profesionally restored by Loricraft and sticking it in a slate plinth then yes that's the best part of 20,000 USD but then again you'd need to spend that much today for something comparable and there arn't many decks that well made at all these days. If you are handy with woodwork etc then there are loads of less well known old '50s/'60s decks in the USA like Fairchild / Empire / Rek-O-Kut which would approach this standard with the same level of TLC.

I completely agree though that a decent turntable is a superb investment which can literally last you a lifetime, and there is no reason at all why a simple beltdrive for instance won't be still making music in 20-30 years, long after all the latest CD players are landfill.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #30 of 53
I'm sad to say that I too started the journey down the vinyl path exactly one year ago. I recently purchased a DacMagic and have found new faith in digital. Yes, the vinyl albums have excellent tonality, and many times the ring of bass strings just sounds "right." But when it comes to orchestral music, my MM cartridge just doesn't have the speed to separate thick, complicated passages. I do enjoy it with a lot of classic rock pressings and jazz, however. But for orchestral music, digital has the upper hand for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back