Illinois Meet, Champaign 3/14/09
Mar 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #91 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry dude, its Giordano's all the way. I grew up in Peoria lived in Chicago for six years and now live in Chamapaign. I don't care much for Papa Dels, if I want a Chicago style pizza here in town I go to Rosati's. Although Giordano's is by far my favorite, to bad they don't have one in Champaign
frown.gif

Hmmm ... I never said Papa Del's pizza was Chicago style, just the best. Giordano's is way over-rated, but that's OK, some people like Ultrasones too.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #92 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm ... I never said Papa Del's pizza was Chicago style, just the best. Giordano's is way over-rated, but that's OK, some people like Ultrasones too.
tongue_smile.gif

Wow Papa-Del's offer something other then Chicago Style pizza
tongue_smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #93 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Papa-Del's offer something other then Chicago Style pizza
tongue_smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

True, I guess some people also just refer to Bordeaux's and Claret's as French wines, while others understand their differences. If you are equating deep-dish with Chicago Style then you are merely using a Wikipedia definition. The devil is in the differences.

Anyway, discussing pizza preferences is only slightly less contentious than discussing religion, so I will leave it at that before I get banned.
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #95 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't mean to start a Chi-town food fight, heck I'd take Giordanos or Lou M's.

No worries. You're much more likely to start an argument in Chicago discussing pizza than if you are discussing politics (Ah Illinois, The only state where our governors make the license plates). We can't even decide who first invented Chicago Style Pizza.

Just don't get me started comparing Chicago and New York style hot-dogs.
eek.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #96 of 137
OK, a little over a week away. I have 4 15' extension cords and 6 cheap (Read cheapest at Walmart) 6 outlet power bars. If anyone has any extras it may be a good idea to bring them. We have tables for the gear, but if you need anything else to stack your gear, you should bring that along. I will try to bring some extra cables but I do not know exactly what I have at the moment so make sure you have all the cables you need. Probably a good idea to pack that remote you need right now. I'll post more as the BMH fog retreats from my mind.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #97 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries. You're much more likely to start an argument in Chicago discussing pizza than if you are discussing politics (Ah Illinois, The only state where our governors make the license plates). We can't even decide who first invented Chicago Style Pizza.

Just don't get me started comparing Chicago and New York style hot-dogs.
eek.gif

I love a good foodie fight.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #99 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What in particular is good at Papa Del's and what in particular is good at Rosati's?

We have a Rosati's here in Bloomington as well but I wasn't that thrilled with its pizza. I will say there is a lot, no make that very very lot of cheese on the pizzas, which makes them too greasy for my tastes but I am sure others love that much cheese.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #100 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What in particular is good at Papa Del's and what in particular is good at Rosati's?

I really like a simple cheese and sausage pan pizza at Papa Del's. Because it highlights three amazing things that Papa Del's gets right:

-Meat
-Cheese
-Crust

Simple amazing.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #101 of 137
I dunno, I've always thought Giordano's was kind of overrated. The deep dish is good, but not extraordinary.

Up in the 'burbs, Portillo's is getting obnoxiously popular. I've been to the one in Shorewood and the one in Naperville; really like the beef sandwiches with sweet peppers.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #102 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like a simple cheese and sausage pan pizza at Papa Del's. Because it highlights three amazing things that Papa Del's gets right:

-Meat
-Cheese
-Crust

Simple amazing.
bigsmile_face.gif

I like that description. Its is like a great headphone where the entire frequency spectrum is reproduced well and cohesively so that it sounds right and works well as a whole. How's that for a segway
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #103 of 137
This sounds like a fun meet... I really wish I could come but that isn't going to happen. Hope you have a great meet and will look forward to the pics.

I'm not originally from Chicago, so I don't have.. ermmm, baggage in terms of pizza here (Giordanos vs. Uno vs Lou M). Papa Del's sounds good, nice description Top Pop (damn you guys, making me hungry!).

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #104 of 137
When it comes to food, I always go with the spots recommended the locals. Why go to a chain when you can try something unique? In Champaign, is there any food item (sandwich, type of pizza, whatever) that is a local legend?

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #105 of 137
Sorry to get back on track, but I still have a couple seats available from St Louis. PM me if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back