iGrado: design analysis from an engineering student
Sep 3, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #46 of 95
And we've only still seen that one picture?

Awesome...

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #47 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbet
Wow.... so they ripped off Sennheiser's PX100/200s. Big Whoop.

Sony MDR-710SL
Philips SHL9500
are PXx00 rips too then if the cups can rotate.

Those don't even look like the Sennheisers. And the ATs look like tailored-for-Ipod.

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #49 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps
... many of those people wouldn't consider the iGrado to be a contender in the "what new headphones should I buy" question. I've heard numerous quotes about the iPod that involve "you can't look as cool without an iPod" type comments. That alone shows me that it is unlikely that ugly can survive except in a counter-culture.

Just wait 'til 2 of their friends have them :wink:

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 95
I dont think Grado failed at all. With the grado 60 drivers what else would sound that good for the price? By the way I dont think their ugly (I actually like the black ones)
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #51 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Just wait 'til 2 of their friends have them :wink:

Seems more like 3 or 4 to break the tipping point of a new fad. lol, but 2 will definitely be getting there.

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #52 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps
I find it disrespectful and annoying.

I the same with your words when all I was trying to do is give you some ideas on something ya said you were looking for to begin with. ya don't go asking people advice, tell them it's something ya like and then make them feel negative for even helping ya to begin with.

not that it's your fault but brailledivers comments were not needed especially since he didn't take time to absorb the post.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #53 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
And we've only still seen that one picture?

Awesome...

too funny! q:O)>

I'm happy to see Grado has released another portable headphone even if it's an iGrado. it seems to be getting the same slander the iPod gets but most good things do. like Jesus here with his Grado's on. I have never seen a product get as much attention as the iPod except for the iMac. I have also never seen the like of products made for anything like the iPod or the iMac(I'll overlook the bad for the good products that are being made for them). has anyone seen this tube amp made for the iPod? http://goldster-audio.com/

I still prefer Sony's Portable MiniDisc Recorders do to it's versatility over any MP3 player on the market but one thing I like about the iPod is that it can be loaded with AIFF and WAV files not to mention it's other uses.

one good thing about the iGrado is that it does have the 60's in them and I have seen more good reviews on the SR-60's than any other Grado Headphone. it's always stated as the best upgrade in headphones one can make. I myself would prefer to have the 225's but thanks to me bud I got his SR-80's when he upgraded. the SR-80's sound so much better since I got me MicroAmp. the only thing I really do not like about the iGrado is that they do not fold up and the behind the head band. I would consider buying them if I needed something in this catagory since I like Grado's headphones so much. I have been looking for a way to turn me SR-80's into a portable set that I can fold up and I think I have figured out a good way to go about it. anyone got any good ideas on how to make a folding pair out of the standard Grado headband?

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #54 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
I think that this analysis is definetly spot-on. I personally would much rather spend $69 on a somewhat uncomfortable, ugly, 70s style Grado SR-60 than an extremely fashonable $20 earbud that sounds like complete garbage. My friends all buy earbuds from 99 cent stores and are more than happy with them. I don't see why any "Normal" iPodder would even consider these phones.

Boggles my mind..ppl spend 150-400 on a Ipod & use the stock earbuds..Not getting your moneys worth at all music wise.. It's like ppl who buy plasmas & don't use progressive scan DVD players..

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #55 of 95
Quote:

I think it's pretty hilarious that people on this site of all sites pretend to understand the mainstream market. Face it, we're mostly iconoclastic nerds of one kind or another, else we wouldn't be so involved in our friggin headphones and amps and stuff. Personally, I expect those new Grado's either will or won't be a big hit based largely on how competently the marketing is handled. There are many, many millions of iPods out there, and plenty of people who own them will be happy to spend $50 on a color-coordinated product that they identify as an upscale quality brand and which sound good to them. Why would anybody expect anything different?

I don't know why people here expect they will fail. I have yet to hear any compelling argument whatsoever. The main pseudo-argument seems to be that non-audiophiles are all cheapskates who will find the looks of them a turn-off. (People used to say that about the price and looks of BMW cars too. How many people who now own BMW's are really serious drivers? A tiny minority, yet many people are happy to pay a hefty premium to get what they perceive as quality.) It's bizarre to assert that a young population that routinely dumps tons of disposable cash on consumer electronics will be put off by a $50 price tag, or that the combination of iPod color schemes with iconic Grado grills that tie them visually to more upscale models is somehow a bad idea. (Do you realize what people pay for a favorite upscale brand of jeans?)

When iPods were new, how many people here thought the iPod would take over the world? Precious few, I'll bet. My guess is that most of the inital commentary was about how inferior and hopeless they were.

Most ppl who spent a ton of dough on a Ipod, see it as being smart not to buy a 50.00 phone, to save more money..Lets be honest..The majority of Ipod users think a headphone is just a headphone.. I see Gradoi failing with the youth..They aren't cool, & no marketing to entice the masses.."50.00 for headphones when I just spent 200.00-400.00 on a Ipod are you crazy", is the response you will get..&, also..Grado? Whats that!

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #56 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by canhead
I dont think Grado failed at all. With the grado 60 drivers what else would sound that good for the price? By the way I dont think their ugly (I actually like the black ones)
evil_smiley.gif

Sound quality isn't the number one concern of most iPod users. It's not like they'll know what they're missing if they choose a more mainstream cheap headphone. And it's not like the iPod market is willing to sample and test various headphones before making a decision. They'll most likely just look at the headphones, the design and looks, what's said on the packaging, and the final price. I guess the best way for the iGrado to succeed would be by word of mouth, which will be hard to get started with the current design/look (I honestly don't think it's that bad).

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #57 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit
I the same with your words when all I was trying to do is give you some ideas on something ya said you were looking for to begin with. ya don't go asking people advice, tell them it's something ya like and then make them feel negative for even helping ya to begin with.

not that it's your fault but brailledivers comments were not needed especially since he didn't take time to absorb the post.

Hey, I didn't tell you to screw off or anything. All I did was say "I like the c320 and will look more into it after I get a headphone amp." Actually, I was quite enthusiastic about the advice you gave me and appreciated it. You were the one who completely blindsided me with some random comment trying to call me some hypocritical punk.

edit: braillediver's coment was a little out of line though, but he was just saying be wary of overzealous fanboys. I know it could have been misconstrued as an attack on you.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #58 of 95
Quote:

I don't know why people here expect they will fail. I have yet to hear any compelling argument whatsoever.

I hear ya russdog!

I dunno what it is with people in this day and time and especially with the younger generation. so progeressive yet so negative! reminds me of other times in our history and we have evolved so far. the topics may not always be the same but the attitude hasn't changed or has it just flip flopped back on us.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #59 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit
I hear ya russdog!

I dunno what it is with people in this day and time and especially with the younger generation. so progeressive yet so negative! reminds me of other times in our history and we have evolved so far. the topics may not always be the same but the attitude hasn't changed or has it just flip flopped back on us.

That's the truth about human nature. It's hard to escape who we are after all. It's hard to get beyond our cultural barriers and really progress ourselves as a whole.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #60 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Sound quality isn't the number one concern of most iPod users.

it's not just iPods, sound quality isn't a concern for one's that use MP3 files on MP3 players or is it?

why do we have our portable headphones amps? what are we using to source these portable headphone amps? I know I have read that some still prefer their Portable CD and MiniDisc players to any MP3 player.

I dunno about the other MP3 players but at least the iPods will hold AIFF and WAV files. isn't that as good as playing a CD? and if you have these files playing through quality products like our headphones amps that we cherish so much are we not getting quality sound?

how many of the people here use portable players with portable headphone amps? what is your conclusion in sound quality over the players you have used with comparable files?

as far as Grado I don't think they were ever out there to appeal to the masses like some companies. maybe the iGrado is different and it's a headphone for the masses but for some reason I don't think so. when I begin to see the iGrado in all the places that sale iPods like CircuitCity, BestBuy, WalMart, etc.. I'll believe it's there for the masses.

the only reason it's getting so much debate is because it's got an iPod theme to it. the only reason the iPod gets so much slander is because it's made by Macintosh. it's like Auburn/ Alabama football! Chevy verses Ford! who really cares what another wants to buy, it's what makes you happy. I'm happy to see Grado making a portable headphone again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back