iGrado: design analysis from an engineering student
Jul 22, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 95
Technically it cant really be called a failure yet.... give it time. Come back a year later and see how well the mainstream consumers accept it.

the consensus of Head-fi'ers is most likely NOT the mainstream consensus. So I think it still has a chance to succeed, dsepite what everyone here thinks.

I for one think if it has one glaring potential element that will cause it to fail.... its the price. IMHO $50 is more than the general population wants to spend on a headphone. You add sales tax and shipping fees for mail order customers and youre looking at a $60 headphone!!!

You dont have to look very far to see real life examples. Spend some time at your local Frys... The $60++ headphones (MDRV6, MDR-CD580, MDRV700) have all been sitting there for years.. the same cans, in their respective boxes collecting dust over the past 2-3 years. While the cheaper earbuds and portable cans continue to sell very well. Ive also noticed the same e2c and e3c boxes sitting there too... year after year. Inventory doesn't deplete and hence no one re-stocks.

I might pick up a pair.. but only if the price drops. Im perfectly happy with my modded sportapros.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 95
I find it funny that they actually released those headphones without a market survey.. heck, nobody would dare call these headphones streetwise. Not even Grado's designers. KOSS got it figured it pretty well. They're all over the mainstream market. Cheap price, expensive&streetwise&professional looks and well-sounding overall for the mainstream user.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps
lol...

Just curious:

What was everyone's expectations for the Grado Streetstyle headphones? Any specific look or sound? I know some people wanted new drivers, some wanted a more classic styling, etc. Wanna share?

Well; when ya put it that way.

I was expecting something that had a "Grado Mushroom" look that takes clues from the newer aluminum models and the GS.

Sorta retro, but more shiny "modern" materials; like cheap plastic. In brighter colors. Maybe even "chromed" or aluminized. Never actually visualized an artificial "woodie" variant.

Skinny wires, almost too short.

"Wanted" to see an open design, but figured it wouldn't work well in public. Looked at all the sealed el-cheapo cans that the kids have, but couldn't picture Grados looking anything like them.

Imagined the sound as being a bit more to the likes of the mainstream listener but not abandoning the true Grado house sound altogether.

The "hinges" are more than I'd visualized!!

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 95
I pictured them looking like normal retro grados except smaller, and less open. Like having a button that reads SS surrounded by metallic mesh with the housing being a black or white plastic. I also pictured the headband to be KSC55 like or even a thin piece of rounded metal that had a springy action to keep them on your head. I think that would look awesome, but Grado has failed. Another SR-40.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
the consensus of Head-fi'ers is most likely NOT the mainstream consensus. So I think it still has a chance to succeed, dsepite what everyone here thinks.

I for one think if it has one glaring potential element that will cause it to fail.... its the price. IMHO $50 is more than the general population wants to spend on a headphone. You add sales tax and shipping fees for mail order customers and youre looking at a $60 headphone!!!

I think the streetstyles (no I will not call it by it's real name!) will have some minor success. The Koss PortaPro proved that an ugly consumer headphone can enjoy some success with enough positive reviews and a good price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio. The streetstyles are relatively expensive for the average consumer. But when you take into account that it'll be sold in major consumer electronic stores, the MSRP of 50 bucks might not be how much they'll be sold for.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 95
I agree with everything except the VW part, IMO people get the VW bugs because they are cute, economic, last long time with a minimal maintenance, they are well engineered, a bit uncomfortable, but they are overall small good cars, at least the old ones, not sure about the most recent models, personally I do not like them, but they are good cars in their class, and cheap....you can go better of course, but they are a classic design...

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I agree with everything except the VW part, IMO people get the VW bugs because they are cute, economic, last long time with a minimal maintenance, they are well engineered, a bit uncomfortable, but they are overall small good cars, at least the old ones, not sure about the most recent models, personally I do not like them, but they are good cars in their class, and cheap....you can go better of course, but they are a classic design...

Oh don't get me wrong, I feel that the bug is a well engineered car (holy crap hugeass wasp brb... k back). I was just pointing out the "cute" pop culture angle VW is attacking with the beetle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
You failed to analyze the restraints with the functions and objectives.

Its probably hard to identify the restraints unless you have some inside information, so you never know, maybe these are directed at a completely different market. (pff, not likely though)

I know I didn't analyze the restraints, and you pointed why I couldn't.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 95
Has anyone else noticed the lack of identifying markings on the iGrado? On every other Grado can, there are distinct make and model numbers. Heck, they're prominent.

It just seems strange that Grado would leave their name off them. Anyone have any ideas as to why?

I'm still disappointed. I like the retro look all their other headphones have. I was expecting something more like an SR-60 with a band that would hook over the ears and go behind the neck. That would have been cool.

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
I dunno...

If the iGrados get channel-set, I think it'll fly off the shelves. They do it already with iBuds. Imagine how many diamonds you can cram on that thing!

lol, I can imagine it now. Someone on head-fi is going to get custom letters made out of diamond/crystal that say "Grado Labs, StreetStyle Series"

Jul 22, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #27 of 95
will have a lot of new customers. Some of whom will discover head-fi/Grado's site after listening to them and probably move up-market and snag a pair of SR-225s or something like that.

If Grado can get them into Apple stores...people will buy them or, if they're incredibly ugly and uncool, the SR-60s. I mean Bose sells plenty of Triports at $150 in part because they're available in the Apple stores.
eek.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57
will have a lot of new customers. Some of whom will discover head-fi/Grado's site after listening to them and probably move up-market and snag a pair of SR-225s or something like that.

Oh oh; as long as not TOO many folks move over to Grado and push them beyond the limits of what their already(I understand)limited US production facilities can accomodate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back