iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 9, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #331 of 592
Yes, tidier, more coherent and articulate, however - still a bit miffed at having to have another cable in the mix - but, like you say, it is about cleaning the signal, so hopefully that second cable won't be impacting particularily

Your welcome to borrow my b purifier if you like to compare.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #332 of 592
Your welcome to borrow my b purifier if you like to compare.
thanks for the offer! :)

Are you going to CanJam, and if so, both days? If so, if I could borrow over the Saturday night, would be awesome... Although as said, probably doesn't make squat of a difference :)

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #333 of 592
thanks for the offer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you going to CanJam, and if so, both days? If so, if I could borrow over the Saturday night, would be awesome... Although as said, probably doesn't make squat of a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

fraid not this year, CanJam lands slap bang in the middle of our family holiday to the sun!  gutted!!

If you still live in the same town as last year, we're only a couple of miles apart, if you wanted to meet half way I can drop it off, pm if you want to do that.  Enjoy Canjam though, both days! (lucky sod)

Cheers

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #334 of 592

Hi,

The SPDIF iPurifier will be launched at the end of July. So in 4 weeks' time.

Cheers.

Thanks, I will contact my local dealer next month.

So SPDIF iPurifier rebuild the SPDIF signal using Femto clock.
On paper that is better then ASRC like others which is replacing the clock with Femto clock.
Problem with ASRC is, if there is time aliasing with the raw signal it can't remove those.
Where as SPDIF iPurifier using buffer and Femto clock to rebuild the signal will.
Also with ASRC you get jitter when swapping 2 clocks over, where buffer and rebuild does not.
But with buffer and rebuild you get timing problem like lip sync, delay, and off set.
It not an issue with pure music but when you use it with video, and gaming it is.

Edit:
Femto clock base PLL clock recovery like AURALiC VEGA or Mytek Manhattan DAC,
Make Femto clock replacement using ASRC like Remedy redundant.
Where as buffering will further remove aliasing error cause by interconnect.

SPDIF iPurifier or products of its kind is really for cheaper interconnect and DAC.
Basically it remove most problem with digital interconnect and transfer clocking.

Typical well constructed 75Ohm coaxial produce 200~100pSec of jitter for 1 meter of cable.
And jitter actually grow exponentially with length that is why professional need XLR for over 10m run.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #335 of 592
So SPDIF iPurifier rebuild the SPDIF signal using Femto clock.
On paper that is better then ASRC like others which is replacing the clock with Femto clock.
Problem with ASRC is, if there is time aliasing with the raw signal it can't remove those.
Where as SPDIF iPurifier using buffer and Femto clock to rebuild the signal will.
Also with ASRC you get jitter when swapping 2 clocks over, where buffer and rebuild does not.
But with buffer and rebuild you get timing problem like lip sync, delay, and off set.
It not an issue with pure music but when you use it with video, and gaming it is.

Hi,

In the AMR DP-777 we were very careful to balance off the rejection of 'wander' essentially jitter at sub-Hz frequencies (which calls for a very large buffer) and lip sync issues (which call for a short buffer).

The technology in the SPDIF iPurifier derives from the AMR DP-777 and thus, just like the DP-777 uses a buffer short enough to avoid lip-sync issues and yet long enough to allow even wander to be contained well.

But as always, try it first.

Cheers

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 16, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #336 of 592
The other problem I have with SPDIF iPurifier is it's physical size.

It's sort of too big for DACs that use stereo RCA pair as SPDIF connections which a lot of entry level DACs do.

Those stereo RCA pair can barely fit lockable RCA connectors.

Hope SPDIF iPurifier would included a short RCA female to male pig tail cable to address this.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #339 of 592
In "PotaGen" (Portable Audio Study Group - Japan's Portable Audio show) last week
iFi shown a working demo runs on battery power with Lotoo's PAW5000 as transport and iFi micro iDSD as DAC.
But iFi stuff said they are yet to know price and launch date.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #340 of 592
In "PotaGen" (Portable Audio Study Group - Japan's Portable Audio show) last week
iFi shown a working demo runs on battery power with Lotoo's PAW5000 as transport and iFi micro iDSD as DAC.
But iFi stuff said they are yet to know price and launch date.

Sorry, I don't understand.

The Lotoo PAW5000 exists already and has a digital output and runs on a battery.

The micro iDSD exists already and has a digital input and runs on a battery.

What is new here?

What does it have to do with the iPurifier2?

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #341 of 592
I am talking about demo of SPDIF ipurifier not iPurifier2.
Lotoo PAW5000 (Digital Toslink Out) >> iFi SPDIF ipurifier (runs on battery) >> iFi iDSD Micro (Digital Coax)

iFi SPDIF purifier usually run on iPower supply in the bundle.
Since the show was "Portable Audio" so they demo how SPDIF ipurifier run on battery pack with USB B Micro.
Frankly I don't know why they used iDSD Micro since iDSD Micro got similar input correction as SPDIF ipurifier.
They should have shown iDSD nano with and without SPDIF ipurifier.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #342 of 592
Lotoo PAW5000 (Digital Toslink Out) >> iFi SPDIF ipurifier (runs on battery) >> iFi iDSD Micro (Digital Coax)

Since the show was "Portable Audio" so they demo how SPDIF ipurifier run on battery pack with USB B Micro.
Frankly I don't know why they used iDSD Micro since iDSD Micro got similar input correction as SPDIF ipurifier.

The nano iDSD doesn't have an SPDIF input.

I asked what it had to do with the iPurifier2 because this thread is all about the iPurifier2.

Perhaps someone should start a new thread about the SPDIF iPurifier. This thread could become quite confusing otherwise.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #343 of 592

iFi stated the iDSD Micro already has the spdif iP tech built inside, similar to the 1st usb iP (the Micro just keeps on giving):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread/240#post_12552784

"The SPDIF iPurifier is built into micro iDSD and Stereo50 - so is aimed at non-iFi users."

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #344 of 592

iFi stated the iDSD Micro already has the spdif iP tech built inside, similar to the 1st usb iP (the Micro just keeps on giving):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread/240#post_12552784

"The SPDIF iPurifier is built into micro iDSD and Stereo50 - so is aimed at non-iFi users."

Wow! Even more value in this micro and inexpensive package!

WOW!

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #345 of 592
The nano iDSD doesn't have an SPDIF input.

I asked what it had to do with the iPurifier2 because this thread is all about the iPurifier2.

Perhaps someone should start a new thread about the SPDIF iPurifier. This thread could become quite confusing otherwise.

You are right, maybe they should show iDAC2, since iDSD micro already got most of SPDIF iPurifier inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back