iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #107 of 592
After i-fi recommended placing the iPurifier2 before the original iUSB in the chain, I decided to go ahead and not wait for the female USB-A model for my iDSD micro and just get the available USB-B model.

I actually have a Schiit Wyrd between my Macbook Air and the iDSD... for anyone wondering... the Wyrd makes any background hiss/noise coming from the computer disappear and the music sound much smoother.... further sidenote.... my windows based laptop gives way more background noise than the Air.

Initial impressions are that the iPurifier2 plugged in to the Wyrd makes a bigger difference than plugged later in the chain at the iDSD.

Further sidenote... I used to have a Schiit USB cable between the Air and the Wyrd and then a Wireworld Chroma between the Wyrd and the iDSD, Recently got a i-fi Mercury cable which I connected between the Air and the Wyrd and moved the Schiit to between the Wyrd and the iDSD. Wow!... suddenly thought I'd added a subwoofer to my LCD-2DFs. Likely in the future to replace the Schiit USB with another Mercury.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #109 of 592
  Or you could go the whole way and get an iUSB and use it with the gorgeous Gemini cable..........

Don't tempt me 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #111 of 592
Dec 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #115 of 592
USB 3 is used for two reasons: Better quality connectors and better quality (shielded etc) cables.  USB 3 doesn't have every Chinese factory putting out 15M $.001 connectors, so it's easier to source good quality components.  As well as cable requiring much better shielding (and extra conductors for the 4 extra USB 3 pins.)  If you don't have a well built connector and a cable up to spec, the USB 3 connection will cause 2.4ghz interference - plug something in and notice your old wireless phone or wifi drop...

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #116 of 592
  USB 3 is used for two reasons: Better quality connectors and better quality (shielded etc) cables.  USB 3 doesn't have every Chinese factory putting out 15M $.001 connectors, so it's easier to source good quality components.  As well as cable requiring much better shielding (and extra conductors for the 4 extra USB 3 pins.)  If you don't have a well built connector and a cable up to spec, the USB 3 connection will cause 2.4ghz interference - plug something in and notice your old wireless phone or wifi drop...

thanks for the clarification.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #117 of 592
The extra pins allow full duplex operation, which I guess is not required for this application.    But better connectors and shielding sounds important for eventual SQ.    My point was that if iFi is soon to upgrade its cables to USB3 - so matching the sockets on the iUSB3.0    Which would seem a consistent move.  Then just now might not be a good time to buy the existing USB2 versions of these rather expensive cables?

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #119 of 592
  The extra pins allow full duplex operation, which I guess is not required for this application.    But better connectors and shielding sounds important for eventual SQ.    My point was that if iFi is soon to upgrade its cables to USB3 - so matching the sockets on the iUSB3.0    Which would seem a consistent move.  Then just now might not be a good time to buy the existing USB2 versions of these rather expensive cables?

There's also the matter of power.  Reportedly some USB DAC/AMP sticks pull far too much power (more that USB 1/2.x spec) which is unnerving for some and dangerous to hardware for others.  USB 3 devices have a greater power draw spec.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #120 of 592
I have been getting a nasty (possible ground loop) issue through my WA6 which only manifests when 'closing the loop' and connecting my USB cable (Audioquest Cinnamon) to my iFi iDSD Micro. Even an isolation transformer for the WA6 didn't solve this, and I'm thinking I'm getting 'noise' going through the USB.

Would something like an iPurifier2 or a USB Regen (or BOTH!) would help with this? Because it is quite annoying and the only other kind of solution I can think of is possibly a USB isolator..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back